Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Exclamation 2017/18 Precept no longer install Bilstein shocks

We just took delivery of our 2018 Precept 35S. We love the unit overall, however, noticed that the steering and ride was more wandering and "sloppy" compared to the 2017 model 35S that we test drove last January.

What we discovered is that the originally advertised Bilstein shocks were NOT installed on our unit suspension. The Bilsteins were a large factor within Jayco's "JRide" and "JRide Plus" features within their 2017 catalogues, and very evident on the 2017 sample that I drove. I also noticed that the Jayco website no longer lists the Bilsteins for the 2017 Precepts and that you cannot access their JRide Plus description for the 2016 models.

Very disappointing, especially because the Bilsteins were listed when we ordered this unit. We clearly understand that component changes are constantly occurring as the new models evolve, however, most changes have been upgrades rather than reduction in features. Perhaps this is related to the new Thor management policy. We are working with our dealer and with the factory to determine how to resolve this omission.

Just reporting here as a "heads up" for potential new buyers.

Cheers to All.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #2

Earlier discussions in this Forum seemed to be saying that Ford phased in some sort of change(s) to the F53 that made the chassis incompatible with Bilstein shocks. If this is the case, Jayco was left with no choice in this matter.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #3

mjpachuta, as I mentioned earlier in the Jayco Precept Owners' Group, this is not necessarily a Jayco issue. Ford did some changes on the late 2016 chassis that are being used this year. Bilstein or Koni shocks are a no fit.
I will wait untill Koni comes up with a shock that fits.
As chasfenwick just said "Jayco was left with no choice in this matter."
The only point, is that Jayco was not fast enough to correct the webpage.
What I cannot believe is that Ford is not announcing such changes and the MH manufacturer have enough time to react and notice the dealers.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

I don't know why the fuss over the Bilsteins. They aren't anything special. I just had mine replaced with the Koni FSD's and they made a word of difference. The Bilsteins are basically an OEM shock with yellow paint on them. The blue part is a plastic shield for the shock rod. I have the Bilstiens to give away to who ever wants them. I'll be at Zion in October for the Precept Rally.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I don't know why the fuss over the Bilsteins. They aren't anything special. I just had mine replaced with the Koni FSD's and they made a word of difference. The Bilsteins are basically an OEM shock with yellow paint on them. The blue part is a plastic shield for the shock rod. I have the Bilstiens to give away to who ever wants them. I'll be at Zion in October for the Precept Rally.
So you're saying that the big deal that Jayco was making about J-Ride Plus in general and Bilsteins in particular was nothing more than hollow marketing hype?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

This change affected me the same as you, 2017 test drive drove great, my 2018 I picked up last Tuesday was all over the road! I'm getting it into shape now and my ride and handling are improving, but was disappointed in the handling initially.

I contacted Jayco about the Bilsteins and they basically said model changes happen during a production year, and Ford was not offering the upgrade to Bilsteins any more, an upgrade Jayco was taking.

Waiting for a chassis alignment, but my test ride today after loading the rig and inflating tires to 100 psi made the ride 1000% better than last Friday's drive home from NY, 230 miles of poor handling. Best wishes with the new rig!
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Yes, if you look at (2016) Ford F3 PDF on line and look at "motorhome chassis" it shows the Bilsteins, jounce bumpers and the stabilizer and track bars. Jayco just hyped what came on the standard motorhome chassis from Ford.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

Check the new MH thoroughly

Congratulation on the new MH. Check it out complete,
I just purchased a 2015 Precept 31, with 9000 miles, Great looking MH. On closely checking it out I found the factory left out 8 fasteners that hold the storage bins to the MH body. The bins were pulling away from the body. Because the first owner didn't catch it, the Jayco factory people said, not there concern. I will get a friend to help me fix it. I was disappointing that a manufacturing workmanship defect would not be taken care of on a MH less than 2 years old.
davedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Congratulation on the new MH. Check it out complete,
I just purchased a 2015 Precept 31, with 9000 miles, Great looking MH. On closely checking it out I found the factory left out 8 fasteners that hold the storage bins to the MH body. The bins were pulling away from the body. Because the first owner didn't catch it, the Jayco factory people said, not there concern. I will get a friend to help me fix it. I was disappointing that a manufacturing workmanship defect would not be taken care of on a MH less than 2 years old.
Dave,
I also have the same 2015 Precept with 9500 miles. I found on mine that the sealant around the outside TV/Entertainment compartment was missing and a little water leaked in. Fixed it with QUAD sealant and now no more leak. Check all sealants around all compartments and on all slideouts(trim areas).
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #10

Hi DBrown

Hi DBrown
Our Motorhomes must have been close together in manufacturing, the factory person was really rush or their mind somewhere else. Its a nice Mh, but a person doesn't have a lot of confidence in the future performance of the MH, when the factory sends out units with missing assemblies.
davedave is offline   Reply With Quote