Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

2017 Precept Tank sizes

Great forum! very informative, We Just placed our order for a 2017 Precept 31UL and I wondering why the black tank is 50 gal and the grey tank is 40 gal. The gray was the larger tank in all the campers we've previously owned.
Any thoughts?

Also how well do the 32" wipers work over time? The drivers side wiper was very floppy in the demo unit I drove. I hope ours has a smoother operation.
Thanks
Sptgclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new Precept and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #3

I'm currently at a full hook up site in florida. I have found the gray tank to be lacking in capacity. Thanks to the Girard system, we've been taking nice long showers, and finding the gray tank filling up quickly. I put the Thetford line away, and installed a conventional drain,that I now leave open. When the black tank is close to requiring dumping, I close the gray tank valve so I have it to wash out th black line.

My experience driving in rain is limited, but the windshield wiper blades worked fine.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

I've driven in monsoon type rains several times and putting the wipers on high was crazy fast! I just use the medium speed only now. The wipers do well on the up stroke and then on the down stroke leave a big streak of water. I have also had to tighten the wiper nut twice as the wiper was coming loose. I will have to put Locktite on the threads.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptgclays View Post
Great forum! very informative, We Just placed our order for a 2017 Precept 31UL and I wondering why the black tank is 50 gal and the grey tank is 40 gal. The gray was the larger tank in all the campers we've previously owned.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Of all the motorhome we've had over the years from different manufacturers including the current Jayco those tank sizes are typical.
When boondocking for an extended time we wash the dishes in pails in the kitchen sink and dump the water down the toilet to save on grey tank space.
We've been camped on an extended stay and had the grey tank fill up to where it caused the shower to backup as it is the lowest drain.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Of all the motorhome we've had over the years from different manufacturers including the current Jayco those tank sizes are typical.
When boondocking for an extended time we wash the dishes in pails in the kitchen sink and dump the water down the toilet to save on grey tank space.
We've been camped on an extended stay and had the grey tank fill up to where it caused the shower to backup as it is the lowest drain.
Had my shower pan fill up as well, while at an extended stay site with full hookups. Now leave the gray tank open, and monitor the tanks and usage to make sure I can cleanly dump the black tank.

2 more inches of water in the shower pan, and I'd have had disaster on my hands.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
Had my shower pan fill up as well, while at an extended stay site with full hookups. Now leave the gray tank open, and monitor the tanks and usage to make sure I can cleanly dump the black tank.

2 more inches of water in the shower pan, and I'd have had disaster on my hands.
We learned early on from many owners that you always leave the grey tank valve open and then drain the black tank when needed as you noted. If the black tank is left open clogging can happen and cause a bigger mess.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote