Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #41

And I also believe comparisons should be done within the family. What I mean is, compare Jaycos to the other RV manufacturers at the same price point. THEN compare quality. You'll find Jayco makes a darn good product compared to the others in the same market. You can't compare a vehicle that has a worth of 100K to a vehicle that has a worth of 30K.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Tom, on the west coast Tesla's are a dime a dozen, and Maserati's, and Porsche's and......
Sure, but by extension, Corolla's go for about $0.02/dz. Roached out VW bugs are about 100 dozen to the dime.

Actually I would bet that comparatively Prevosts and Airstreams are also a dime a dozen on the left coast.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
Good discussion! Maybe I am wrong, but what I hear is: what you pay you will get. For that reason Jayco is still a good choice. Just compare some of the prices of the MH in Europe. They are much better built with high quality material etc. But the price, wow? $100,000 will not buy you a 35ft MH with slides, AC TV and much more.

If you are prepared to invest some of your own time to get problems fixed, the price is justified. However, I think it is not justified if your investment sits for weeks or months with the dealer and you cannot use it. Would you accept this from a car dealer? Or even a house builder?

I have accepted the fact that there could be problems with a purchase, as long the manufacturer stands behind and repairs it effectively in a timely matter. That’s why we have a warranty time. 2 years! not bad, again Jayco is the only one in this price class.

What I hear is that Jayco is pretty good in fixing problems. The most unsatisfied comments are in relation with the dealer. If your investment sits with the dealer for 2 months, in my opinion, the dealer is not expediting your issue hard enough and it is time to change dealer and inform Jayco that they maybe need to look for another dealer in the region.

If you are not prepared to dish out thousands of dollars more than you would pay for a Jayco, don’t complain, but push your dealer to stand behind the product that they sold you and keep Jayco in the loop with what is happening with your purchase. Don’t underestimate discussions like this one, forums in general and the media, they can crash a product like a fly. I am sure that Jayco (if they are smart) monitors this forum very closely. Just my 2 cents
Jayco's warranty doesn't mean as much if it takes weeks at a time to get parts and then finally get shop time to fix. A GM at a Jayco dealer warned me this could happen but said I could solve that by spending $6k more on an extended warranty .( because then you wouldn't have to wait on Jayco approval). So now, every time I see a price for an RV, I'm mentally adding $6K to the existing price. I sort of feel like a victim of extortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #44

Extended warranty!
Should not be to improve the existing warranty but to extend the warranty time.
Otherwise it is a scam!
Sorry, but if somebody tells me to pay to improve their service I would kick them in the you know where.....
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #45

Extended warranty is supposed to be an extension AFTER the OEM warranty expires. Check out Costco and their 2 year extended warranty on electronics....2 years AFTER OEM. Car dealers sell extended warranty....extends the warranty after OEM.

Extended warranty on RV, TV, are sold as basically in lieu of the OEM warranty. Wrongly named which should be add-on, speed up repair warranty. Why would I buy a 2 year extended warranty that expires the same day as Jayco's? The reason --- add to the dealer profit margin and the salesman's commission.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Jayco's warranty doesn't mean as much if it takes weeks at a time to get parts and then finally get shop time to fix. A GM at a Jayco dealer warned me this could happen but said I could solve that by spending $6k more on an extended warranty .( because then you wouldn't have to wait on Jayco approval). So now, every time I see a price for an RV, I'm mentally adding $6K to the existing price. I sort of feel like a victim of extortion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That dealer was just trying to make an easy $6000 off of you. Jayco is NOT particularly slow in approving warrenty work. In fact, many of the posts on this forum have shown it is the dealership who is sandbagging, not sending in paperwork, etc.
Oh, and most likely, that extending warrenty would have loopholes to insure they would not have to pay for the really expensive stuff.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #47

Follow up thought to my original post here

Clearly based on the number of respondents this is a big issue for a lot of us. Thanks all for the input and opinions. One point I made that I'd like to clarify is when I related a $100K-plus MH purchase to a auto (I used Tesla because it's so revolutionary and hard to imagine it ever got built. But it could be any of today's high quality vehicles), I was referring to things wrong in coaches like wiring looms not secured, doors not lined up, drawers that don't close, and other fairly obvious infractions that anyone with common sense along the assembly line should have flagged immediately but doesn't. Where-in at today's auto plants they can shut down the line if need be to initiate a fix. Jayco does do a great job for the money. But even they could do better without investing a dime more simply by making line assembly people responsible for aspiring to quality. My other personal opinion is that so many of us do our own fixes, even under warranty to speed up getting back on the road, that I have to believe the manufacturers know that and plan accordingly, as other commenters have attested to. Keep up the comments and observations as it serves to benefit us all. (And man wouldn't it be great if someone in Management in Jayco actually saw all of these).
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #48

RV industry Poor Quality Control

I found this tread while searching for answers to my latest RV problem. I had 5 different Class A RVs over the last 15 years, and I have fixed problems on all of them. The latest was a 2015 Jayco Precept with 9000 miles. I found a number of factory workmanship defects. Because I was the second owner I received no satisfaction from the factory.

As the thread stated that is the state of the current RV industry. As we all may remember that was the state of the US auto industry before the Japanese quality Cars came to the US auto market.

I guess all we can hope for is some RV company to follow the Japanese example on this issue.
davedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I
As the thread stated that is the state of the current RV industry. As we all may remember that was the state of the US auto industry before the Japanese quality Cars came to the US auto market.

I guess all we can hope for is some RV company to follow the Japanese example on this issue.
I personally don't expect to see that since RV usage (weekends and summer for most) is totally different than automobile usage.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #50

Being from a mfg career, I cannot understand turning out product with problems (many the same) over and over again for years. Think wipers, door problems, etc. Since 2015, same problems. You could take 2 product engineers making a top 10 list of warranty claims. Start on the problems one by one until they are fixed. The warranty claims will get smaller, customers happier, jayco will make more money and not have a bad reputation. I will also tell you their mfg is out of control. That's what happens when you have so many problems like a shotgun pattern. No attention to detail.

But management can control the quality to a large extent. They just accept mediocrity in trade for a quick buck and numbers.

But I will say the layout and usability of the coaches are pretty good. They give a lot of bang for the buck on features, they just don't always work.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote