Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

After Market Items to improve handling Precept 35UN

I need to install something to improve the handling of this BIG BOX. I just returned from a trip from Memphis to Hot Springs, AR and return on I 40 and I'm beat. Any improvements that have helped you with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

All of our trips from now on with be North and South away from I 40.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

I have the same coach. First, you should get scaled on each corner and balance weight as best you can. My rig came out almost perfect with 3300 on each front tire and only 140 lbs. heavier on right rear than left. The gross was just under 19,000, coach only no toad. Adding a toad would put more weight but stay balanced so I did not take the toad to scale.

Being balanced good, I then did the CHF by moving the front stab bar to inner holes. This was easy and very worth the time - maybe 30 minutes in driveway.

I then inflated tires to 95psi all around. My coach drives much better than new and has decent road manners considering it is a moving billboard.

In the future I plan to add a rear trac bar and think that is about all that can be done to tame the beast. Heavy traffic and windy days will always be rough driving any coach.

Not happy to hear about I40 as I will be driving it from Kingman AZ all the way to Lebanon MO. in 5 weeks!! I have ordered a 5 star tuner and expect it to arrive late this week. Hoping this will help with those Ozark hills.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #3

@Wilcut
You didn't mention the year or mileage of your Precept 35UN. Assuming it is new, then suspension wear and bad shock absorbers can probably be ruled out.

Before adding components, make sure they are really needed:
FIRST make sure that your tires are inflated at or near their maximum, like mowdoc did. Then take it for a drive. Often that simple step makes a world of difference.

SECOND, find a good alignment shop, tell them about your handling issues, and have them align it. Often they can make adjustments within the specifications that improve handling.

The 'CHF mod' will not change the alignment settings so try that if the first two didn't help enough.

@mowdoc
I drove I-40 & I-44 from Flag to St.Louis twice this spring; once just the TV then with the TT. No road issues. The only problem was the weather.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

Great advice from mowdoc on weighing and balancing the rig AND making sure the alignment is right and tire pressure is correct in all 6. Then I might add, make sure your toad alignment is correct as well.
Good advice from oldmanAZ............do the above before adding parts.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

You won't need to get on I 40 between Little Rock and Memphis. That's a good thing.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:51 AM   #6

KONI shocks make a "HUGE" difference on how a coach handles. Not cheap, but good.