Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

Alante 31' owners?

Hello, we have a 2017 Alante 31V. We've had it out a few weekends since taking delivery in June this summer. We really like it, but like most, are finding little issues we'd like to either improve upon, or have taken care of by the dealer. If any of you own these rigs, I'd love to hear what you think.

1. The indash radio. Ours came w/ a JBL CP100. This is my 2nd deck installed, and it is a turd. Sometimes it's on, but no sound comes out. Sometimes it just turns on it's own. The bluetooth connectivity is tempermental at best, and the apps don't work as promised. Do any of you have this unit, and it works? Or did you replace it with something else?

2. Suspension. The rig seems to be very bumpy. I can feel almost every bump in the road. I drive w/ the water tank full, and I've tried to balance the weight, but it feels like an empty 1 ton truck. Are airbags a solution? J-Ride seems to be a bit underwhelming.

3. Handling. This seems to be a common issue. It seems very 'loose' in the front end. On calm days, it's not awful, but I would think that it should be better, again with the "J-Ride". On windy days, there is more of a problem. Luckily I'm pretty calm most of the time, so even when it's challenging like last weekend, I can stay cool and drive, but it shouldn't be this loose it seems. Someone who easily gets worked up could get hurt, or just stop driving and sell it. Is there a sway bar or somethign I can install? I'm going to have the valve extenders installed, because currently I can't get at them to see what the tire pressure is at.

Just so everyone understands, we really like this rig, just a few things I'd like to get changed or addressed. What are your experiences with the Alante?
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
Hello, we have a 2017 Alante 31V. We've had it out a few weekends since taking delivery in June this summer. We really like it, but like most, are finding little issues we'd like to either improve upon, or have taken care of by the dealer. If any of you own these rigs, I'd love to hear what you think.

2. Suspension. The rig seems to be very bumpy. I can feel almost every bump in the road. I drive w/ the water tank full, and I've tried to balance the weight, but it feels like an empty 1 ton truck. Are airbags a solution? J-Ride seems to be a bit underwhelming.

3. Handling. This seems to be a common issue. It seems very 'loose' in the front end. On calm days, it's not awful, but I would think that it should be better, again with the "J-Ride". On windy days, there is more of a problem. Luckily I'm pretty calm most of the time, so even when it's challenging like last weekend, I can stay cool and drive, but it shouldn't be this loose it seems. Someone who easily gets worked up could get hurt, or just stop driving and sell it. Is there a sway bar or somethign I can install? I'm going to have the valve extenders installed, because currently I can't get at them to see what the tire pressure is at.

Just so everyone understands, we really like this rig, just a few things I'd like to get changed or addressed. What are your experiences with the Alante?
Try the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) for the F53 chassis first.
If that doesn't address all the suspension and handling try adjusting tire pressures up 20 psi first and then down 10 psi beyond the label.
If you are still not satisfied then there are additional aftermarket front and rear sway bars, trac bars, steering stabilizer, better shocks, and Solo Springs.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Try the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) for the F53 chassis first.
If that doesn't address all the suspension and handling try adjusting tire pressures up 20 psi first and then down 10 psi beyond the label.
If you are still not satisfied then there are additional aftermarket front and rear sway bars, trac bars, steering stabilizer, better shocks, and Solo Springs.
Can you point me in the direction of the CHF?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

This is one of many threads on the topic at IRV2.com but this should be enough to get it done; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...hf-245427.html
Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #5

I have a 26x model and as many others have said the f53 chassis rides like a rock .
I added the Safe t Plus steering stabalizer to the front and the blue ox tiger track in the rear and then also reduced the front tire pressure to 8n5lbs and filled up the water holding tank and this seem to be the best combinations for a more stable and some what softer ride .
Milo
mgr2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Taking the rig this weekend up to the North Shore. I had the dealer check the allignment while it was in for other work, and they agreed, something was wrong.

I'm skeptic of the CHF, I asked the dealer about it, they recommended I leave it alone. I will see how it goes this weekend and revisit the decision when I return home.

I did have valve extenders installed all the way around so that I can access them easily, and plan on checking the PSI today when I gas up and get ready to go. I may try inflating to tire PSI instead of camper PSI. I'm going to talk to the mechanic at the truck place prior.

We will see what happens with the JBL CP100 they installed. I'm not a fan of this deck at all, but I'm trying to be optimistic, as it's only the 3rd one we've tried.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #7

Is the CHF (cheap handling fix), for F53 chassis still applicable on a 2016 Precept? I installed the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and it definitely helped but I'd like to get more sway control without spending any more $.
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolosrv View Post
Is the CHF (cheap handling fix), for F53 chassis still applicable on a 2016 Precept? I installed the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer and it definitely helped but I'd like to get more sway control without spending any more $.
Yes.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Here's an interesting update on my CP100. When streaming audio, I am an iHeart Radio user. One of the problems I would have, is that it would play the first song, or ad, but then nothign else. The phone would keep switching tracks but the CP100 remained and no sound would transmit. If I tried to advance a track, it would stop immediately and cease to work.

Well, I hadn't thought of it before, but last night, I used a different streaming service, Pandora. And it worked just fine as it should.

The Android Auto app is still not functioning properly, but for now I have streaming capability again.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
RWK

Have all the same issues you have mentioned. Also on my 2nd JBL crap radio and waiting for my third. Coach is currently at a Redlands Truck and RV getting a leaf added to the rear leaf springs(It rides too low and we scrape too much in driveways). Koni shock upgrade and anti-sway and ride right rear.......6K worth of work. Love my coach, really I do. When we bought our gasser we knew we'd have to do some upgrades, but this was a bit quick for us. Safety must come first and ride quality a quick second. Its still cheaper than diesel coach! We also have a reoccurring auto awning issue. It doesn't like to deploy without some manual pulling on the arms, they get stuck. They dealer has been responsive and I have hope for resolution.......I am planning to talk to Jayco Corporate about the sagging rear end as I believe this is on them. All in all this coach fits our needs best. Plan to put dual 6 volt batteries and a solar panel in the future.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWK View Post
Have all the same issues you have mentioned. Also on my 2nd JBL crap radio and waiting for my third. Coach is currently at a Redlands Truck and RV getting a leaf added to the rear leaf springs(It rides too low and we scrape too much in driveways). Koni shock upgrade and anti-sway and ride right rear.......6K worth of work. Love my coach, really I do. When we bought our gasser we knew we'd have to do some upgrades, but this was a bit quick for us. Safety must come first and ride quality a quick second. Its still cheaper than diesel coach! We also have a reoccurring auto awning issue. It doesn't like to deploy without some manual pulling on the arms, they get stuck. They dealer has been responsive and I have hope for resolution.......I am planning to talk to Jayco Corporate about the sagging rear end as I believe this is on them. All in all this coach fits our needs best. Plan to put dual 6 volt batteries and a solar panel in the future.
After an alignment, and a change in Tire pressure, my handling issues are better. I did bottom out the backend on a weird curb/approach, but overall the ride height is fine.

I was able to get my CP100 replaced with the new Pioneer system they are putting in all the 17's now. My rockstar dealer made it happen. See if you can do the same. The CP100 is a joke, and should have never been put to market.