Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #21

If the two audio plugs are red and white then that is left and right channel audio. My Seiki does not have any audio ports other than the headphone jack. My red and white plugs are connected to an adapter that plugs into the headphone jack.

The cable that brings the red and white connectors up to the tv also contains the wire with the yellow plug for composite video.

I removed the big drawer in the cabinet under the tv, removed the back of the cabinet so I could clean up the wiring. I probably spent 30 minutes on my back with a flashlight studying the rats nest of wiring in that area. Found out I had two coaxial jacks for a satellite receiver, no mention of that in my owners manual. Some of the coaxial cables pulled out of the plugs, no crimp at all so I have more under cabinet work to do when I get home. Fortunately none of these bad crimps were for over the air or cable tv input.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #22

So NickM, I just discovered I have the same issue with my Seiki tv's. I am in a campground with CATV hookup and cannot get the LR TV or the BR TV to accept any cable programming. I did not try the outside TV. My next step when I get home will be to connect cable directly to the TV to see if that works so I can eliminate all the interior hookups as a source of trouble.
If it turns out to be "just" a TV issue do I need to provide any detailed information such as serial numbers to Jayco or just a description of the problem? I agree that this should be a nonissue in these coaches. Oh well, if life was smooth all the time I'd be spoiled even more than I am now.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #23

Seiki is your problem

There are no issues with your coach wiring or cable connections. The CATV input is common to all three tv's in your coach. The cable output on the front side of the power injector (behind your DVD player) goes to a 3 way splitter. Cables leaving the splitter go to your three TV sets.

The Seiki tv's do not have a clear QAM tuner for digital cable, only analog standard definition cable. Out of five campgrounds where we stayed in the first quarter of 2017, two had digital cable and we were unable to use it. In one campground we could not receive an over the air signal so no tv for that week.

There are work arounds though. You can buy a digital tuner that goes between your tv cable and tv that will resolve the problem. The catch here is, it only works on the one tv you have it connected to. You could possibly connect is between the power injector and 3 way splitter but all three tv's would get whatever channel the digital tuner is tuned to.

The other workaround is change tv's. I went with Samsung tv's and they work very well with all formats, analog and digital and over the air. I could not find any reputable brand 39" tv's to replace the kitchen/LR and outside tv so went with 40". Both spots are tight fits with the 40" but they will work. I have just over 1/8" end clearance on the motorized rack but it will fit. Had to redrill holes in the motorized mount but used original Jayco self tapping hardware and there is some smal location adjustment for a 'factory like' fit.

Initially I though about not getting a 4K uhd for the LR/kitchen but Best Buy had a Samsung model that was within the price range Jayco allowed so opted for that. The other two are 1080p hi def models but all are smart tv's so I can use my LTE hotspot to watch Netflix from any tv.

If you speak with Jayco about replacing your tv's under warranty I would appreciate not mentioning my claim. My complaint was that a coach with a $150k msrp should not have cheap Chinese televisions that are clearly not compatible with digital cable systems found in newer and upgraded campgrounds. Along with that the buyer should not need to add another box to offset the lack of technology in the Seiki tv's.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:52 PM   #24

Thanks for the feedback and for doing all the legwork. I am not sure I would ever have determined that the issue was actually with the TV's themselves. I will contact Jayco when I get back home and see how they choose to resolve it. I will not mention your claim but I will let you know how this Precept chapter turns out. Thanks again.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #25

Being a ham operator and electronics gear head made it easy to find the solution. Jayco offered to let Camping World change out the tv's but I knew if they selected the tv's I would get more junk and CW would keep the old tv's. I made the offer to Jayco to let me select and change out the tv's to save them some $ and they quickly agreed. I sold 2 of the tv's and gave away the third one.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #26
RWK

Our 2017 Alante came with 3 Furrion TVs. They work fine, but not one of them is a smart TV. They do tune for the channels (slowly) but if you want to do anything high tech like CAST video from your phone add-ons are required. I think eventually we will switch the TV's out. (After the warranty is done)
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #27

Latest update. I called Jayco and explained the issue with the Seiki TV's and the customer service rep knew exactly what I was talking about. Since I live in the middle of nowhere and am willing to change out the TV's myself Jayco gave me a $$$$ allowance to go out and get what I wanted. Once I have made my purchase I then will submit my receipt(s) to Jayco for reimbursement. I can't say enough about Jayco's product support as they have been a pleasure to deal with.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #28

X2. Amen brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:10 AM   #29

Final update. I purchased 3 Samsung smart TV's from Best Buy - a 32" 1080p for the BR and two 40" 4k's for the LR and outdoor entertainment. With only some minor mods I was able to complete the installation of all 3, verified they all worked and even cleaned up and organized the wiring underneath the televator. Since I had to remove the big cabinet drawer under the counter I replaced all the screws in the drawer guides and stiffened up the back drawer support wall as well. I submitted my receipt to Jayco Customer Service and received confirmation from Mitchell Grooms that it has been processed for reimbursement. I am one of the more fortunate owners of a Jayco product as I have had very few issues. I was able to have the dealer take care of everything I found prior to taking delivery back in April and since then my only 2 items have been addressed by the Jayco Customer Service Department. I have never owned a Jayco before and have no affiliation with them. But I will say it again - I just cannot say enough about Jayco's Customer Service. They are polite, knowledgeable, professional, timely and a pleasure to deal with.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #30
GJB

Rice1951, Can you tell me what mods you had to do to mount Samsung TVs? I can't figure out the BR because cables come out the back instead of the sides and the mount holes are closer to the top of TV on the Samsung. Did you have to drill new holes in the bracket. I haven't even started on the other 2 yet. Any help would be appreciated
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #31

Maybe you will have better luck contacting Rice 1951. I sent pm 2 weeks ago but have had no luck. Jayco is sending me 3 new TVs. They are the Best Buy house brand.I guess I will see when I receive them.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #32
GJB

edgrf, would you let me know the model numbers and brand when you get them. Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #33

I did remember that they were Insignia TVs.All 1080p same size as the original.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #34

edfgrf: Sorry for the late response. I replied to your PM and included my email address if you would like to correspond directly.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #35

Work is required on your part

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Rice1951, Can you tell me what mods you had to do to mount Samsung TVs? I can't figure out the BR because cables come out the back instead of the sides and the mount holes are closer to the top of TV on the Samsung. Did you have to drill new holes in the bracket. I haven't even started on the other 2 yet. Any help would be appreciated
You will need to modify all mounts, the bedroom tv requiring more work. The flip up bracket is not drilled to VESA standards so consider yourself lucky if 2 holes match up.

Cable routing will likely be different as nothing will match your original TV's, in any location.

The kitchen/LR TV will require new mounting holes in the elevator bracket and cable routing will be different. My 40" Samsung replacement just barely clears the countertop cutout on each end.

The outdoor TV fits OK and I did not need to drill new holes for the mount but others have had to do that.

All of my replacements were Samsung smart TV's and the kitchen/LR TV was a 4K. A little thought and planning before jumping in to the change out is necessary, it's not a plug-and-play change-out.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #36

House brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post
I did remember that they were Insignia TVs.All 1080p same size as the original.
I wanted to be in charge of the selection which is why I asked for Jayco to reimburse me. Insignia makes OK tv's but there were things I felt should have been included in a $150k Class A and cheap televisions were not part of my vision.

4K is a nice feature if you can get it. Netflix has 4K programming and is nice when you see it. All of the TV's should have had smart features, none of the Seiki tv's were smart. None of the Seiki's had a clear QAM tuner for digital cable which some campgrounds offer.

I hope the Insignia's resolve your issues.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #37
GJB

Nick, What model Samsungs did you use
Old 07-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #38

@GJB

I don't have that info here at home, I'll need to retrieve it from my coach. The LR/kitchen was a 40" 4K smart TV, the outdoor was a 40" 1080P smart TV and the bedroom was a 32" 1080P smart TV.

I'll try to post that info in the next day or so.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #39

For those replacing TVs in 31ul.Be sure and get a model that has analog sound out. A headphone jack will work with an adapter.Red and white RCA out too will work. This hooks to speakers in sealing. The tv has to have a coaxial cable connection for the antenna. I had one tv that that would not recognize the cat 5 HDMI adapter from DVD.Take the old tv off first and look at connections. Jayco replaced my TVs with Insignia .39" 720p outside,32" 720p bedroom and 50" 1080p in living room. I returned the 50" to Best Buy and they gave me a gift card.I used this and cash for a 48" Sony 1080p tv. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #40

How did replacement go? Jayco cover?
Just curious as we are working on trading out Seiki and wondering about a 55in smart tv. Dealer is installing as under warranty....ours "blacks out" and of course, the cable issue. Jeeeez
Thanks
Sdhraha is offline   Reply With Quote