Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

Any changes between '16 and '17 Precepts?

Heard something about a sway bar added to help steering control?
Is that true and any other changes or upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

I had just started my search for our first MH three weeks ago. We ended up doing some research on the Precept 31UL and making an initial deal on a 2016.

It was my understanding that the major change between 2016 and 2017 is that they made the wheel bases longer on the 2017. At first I didn't think this would be a big deal until I actually drove the 2016 I had been dealing on. IMHO they do not handle very well and I couldn't imagine driving them in windy conditions.

But I will let others chime in because my experience is extremely limited when it comes to MH's. The wheel base difference is just something that I think could be a deal breaker for most folks.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #3

A rear sway bar will help some with the "tail wagging the dog" requiring the need for constant correcting the front-end steering, but in most cases a rear trac bar is needed as well.
A front sway bar will help with cross winds including those from passing semi trucks, but a front trac bar will work in concert to further provide control and minimize sway when entering and exiting driveways at any angle.
Some chassis' will also have a front stabilizer bar added, and in most cases a set of aftermarket shocks such as Koni or Bilstein Comfort.
I also believe in Sumo Springs in place of the factory bump stops, and a Safe-T-Plus for added steering control and safety in case of tire blowout.

There's no reason large motorhomes should not feel as comfortable and be as safe to drive as a large SUV--think Suburban.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Precepts with the J-Ride Plus already come with front and rear sway bars.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #5

The Ford chassis has a front trac bar already I believe, at least the 2016 does.

The 2017 31ul I've seen the wheelbase did not change, the tire size did (19.5 to 22.5)

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM   #6

There are distinct differences between a sway bar, trac bar, and a stabilizer bar available on some chassis'.
Here is a thread on IRV2.com that helps to explain some of the differences; http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/rear-...ar-228307.html

For the Ford chassis there's also the no cost Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) that can be be done by most owners.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Heard something about a sway bar added to help steering control?
Is that true and any other changes or upgrades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had read some information about sway bars, stabilizer bars, and additional modifications owners were doing to 2016 and earlier Precept 31's to get them to handle better. Even though the one we were dealing on had other issues, I was not interested in having to add suspension parts to be able to drive across country in different weather conditions.

If you are in the shopping process make sure you complete 15 to 20 mile interstate test drives before you sign on the dotted line. We found there is a huge difference in the way some of these different makes/models handle.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

Deleted
Attached Thumbnails
36UN.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Picked up our 2017 Precept 31UL Wednesday in Tampa Fl, drove it to Anderson SC on Friday morning in the trailing hurricane and it did great. There were a few times I whited knuckled the arm rests but I have to say it was a lot better then I thought it would be. This was our first RV and therefore RV trip, we just love the new rig.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

Congrats, nice rig!

While around Anderson check out the Greenwood RV Resort on Lake Greenwood. Super nice place right on the lake.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote