Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Anyone else vertically challenged?? :)

Sitting behind the wheel of my 17 Alante, seat all the way forward, no way am I driving this thing bare footed.... Takes all I got to give quarter throttle.

Anyone try to unbolt the drivers seat and move it forward an inch or three?

I realize 5' 6" isn't going to get me far.

Maybe blocks on the pedals or a booster seat?

These things were not made for us lower people.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

Had a manual shift which my wife could not drive because at 5-2 she couldn't depress the clutch all the way. Found that back then they did make purpose built blocks for all the pedals (clutch, brake and throttle).

Not sue they do anymore but worth looking for.

If not wrap a properly shaped piece of wood with bicycle inner tube. It will hold it in place and give better friction so your foot won't slip. ( or platform shoes?)
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #3

Maybe look into Flexsteel seats. They may have more travel to get you closer. Just a thought.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:44 AM   #4

I'm 5'8" but have a long trunk and short legs so I frequently have issues when trying to drive a new vehicle. Given that, when I went to test drive a 2017 Precept 31UL at my local dealer I discovered that there was no way to get the seat close enough to the pedals to allow me to safely drive. There was a minimum one to two inch gap between my feet and the pedals. We went ahead with a factory order after arranging to have the driver's seat moved six inches forward at delivery by a local shop. Upon delivery I was surprised to discover that the seat in my unit would move far enough forward to allow me to safely drive it without being modified. I guess this just shows how much fudge factor exists at the factory when installing the seats.

BTW, the estimate to move the seat was around $500.

Happy trails...
greg449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

My wife is 5'0". On our new Seneca I had to build a 4" box for her feet to rest on as her feet don't quite reach the floor. I have a piece of 2x4 at the bottom of the gas pedal so she can rest her heel on it if she ever drives. Haven't tried that out yet. LOL
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #6

This is a "big" problem in our house too OutCole'd as my Cathy is 5'4". She would love to spell me on longer drives but it's not possible. I'll be very interested in what our friends offer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

I'm 5.10 and I I have to drive with the seat straight up and down and a pillow on my lower back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #8

I'm 5'3" and I can drive our 31UL if I move the seat up as far as possible... I do have to stretch a little, though!
PAPA & PUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #9

The seat does unbolt and can be moved forward. I am 6 foot and still needed the seat moved forward. Dealer did it in no time.
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaigle View Post
The seat does unbolt and can be moved forward. I am 6 foot and still needed the seat moved forward. Dealer did it in no time.
I need to get under the RV, and look for the rear mounting bolts to see how bad those are to get to. The forward bolts look easy.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #11

I'm 5'10", DW is 4'11". I don't even try to get in her car without moving the seat back. She used to leave the upper cabinet doors open, and wonder why I was cussing. I started leaving the lower cabinet doors open, telling her even you can't walk under that!

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #12

There is a thread on the forum about moving the seat forward without having to remove the bolts through the floor. You will need to unbolt the slide portion of the seat and you can reposition the existing bolts using existing holes. You may need one additional bolt to secure the seat belt bracket but other than that it is pretty straight forward (no pun intended). I did it on my 2016 35S Precept and it made a world of difference. I can't imagine Jayco used different seats in the Alante. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
There is a thread on the forum about moving the seat forward without having to remove the bolts through the floor. You will need to unbolt the slide portion of the seat and you can reposition the existing bolts using existing holes. You may need one additional bolt to secure the seat belt bracket but other than that it is pretty straight forward (no pun intended). I did it on my 2016 35S Precept and it made a world of difference. I can't imagine Jayco used different seats in the Alante. Good luck.
You Rock! Thank you very much. I went and looked at the seat mount today and 15 minutes later, my seat was moved up 3" easy.

Anyone who needs to move the seat forward, easy fix here!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
I looked for the thread under moving seat forward and other possible search criteria but have not been able to locate the one you mention. Very interested in being able to move the slide portion to get closer. If you remember the link, I (and am sure many others following this thread) would appreciate it.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
I looked for the thread under moving seat forward and other possible search criteria but have not been able to locate the one you mention. Very interested in being able to move the slide portion to get closer. If you remember the link, I (and am sure many others following this thread) would appreciate it.
I never found the thread either, but I just looked at the seat base. Take a look at where the seat belt receptacle is mounted. There are two boths holding that in place, and one bolt in the other three corners of the seat to the base. Take off all 5 bolts and slide the seat forward a few inches and bolt it back down. You will need to supply one extra bolt. You will see what i'm talking about when you look at it. Piece of cake fix.

All done from inside the cab.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutCole'd View Post
I never found the thread either, but I just looked at the seat base. Take a look at where the seat belt receptacle is mounted. There are two boths holding that in place, and one bolt in the other three corners of the seat to the base. Take off all 5 bolts and slide the seat forward a few inches and bolt it back down. You will need to supply one extra bolt. You will see what i'm talking about when you look at it. Piece of cake fix.

All done from inside the cab.
Thank you sir! Will do tomorrow and report back!

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #17

OK so I fibbed. The thread is not on the Class A Forum. It is on the Jayco Precept Owners' Group forum. I am technically challenged so I don't know how to post the link. However, I can tell you it is located at:

Jayco RV Owners Forum>Social Groups>Makes and Models>Jayco Precept Owners' Group>Captains chairs

You will find Social Groups under the Community tab in the yellow border.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #18

Found it! Thanks very much.