Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Anyone swap out AC for heat pump?

We are chugging propane to keep this puppy warm. Wondering how difficult it would be to add a heat pump Thoughts?
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #2

After having had the heat pump in our 2014 Melbourne 29D, we were surprised to discover that our new Precept didn't have it, in spite of having two of the roof A/C units. Even our 23 ft. Airstream trailer had it. Will be interested in learning what responses you get to this. Another possibility would be to install some sort of electric radiant heater(s); such an approach would certainly be a lot quieter.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #3

Did it on two different units, 2001 DESIGNER MH and a 08 SENECA. You will also need to swap out the thermostat for one that has gas and elec heat setting. Hardest part maybe getting the extra wire needed from the unit to the thermostat.

If you have a newer unit you may be lucky and JAYCO may have used a 7 wire conductor. Usually the yellow is the spare.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
We are chugging propane to keep this puppy warm. Wondering how difficult it would be to add a heat pump Thoughts?
I had a Newmar American Star fifth wheel and had a run in with a canopy at a motel we had stopped at for a night in 19 degree weather. I went to have a new a/c installed but the dealer only had a heat pump in stock and if I paid the extra over insurance he would put it in. Best thing I ever did, I loved the heat pump, it has saved a lot of propane and the noisy gas heater doesn't have to run nearly as often, if at all. I don't know why the newer trailers or fifth wheels don't offer these from the factory. If they did I would have ordered it with my new 27.5 rlts I'm waiting to come in.
As another has mentioned maybe the thermostat wire has a yellow wire spare that could be used to operate the heat portion of the heat pump. Maybe I'll have another one in the near future.
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #5

We have 6 wires. 2 yellows, 1 red 1 green 1 white 1 blue.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

I see you can also add a heat strip to the current AC. Wonder if that is worth doing as it's an inexpensive mod