Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Banks Power for Precept Ford 3V V10?

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the Banks Power Pack system on either your Precept or a previous coach? I found a mechanic with a trustworthy reference locally who has experience installing these. I do a lot of towing and honestly have been reasonably happy with the power, but this system seems like it would decrease the stress on the motor long term in addition to better power and modestly better fuel mileage. Would it potentially void my warranty?
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2015-12-30 at 8.36.32 PM.png  
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:47 AM   #2

Ford is very touchy about ANY mods to a vehicle covered by factory warranty. The intake and headers don't seem like much but Ford loves any excuse to avoid expense. The intake and headers would prolly not do anything for power you could feel in the seat either. You would have to make a pull on a dyno to see those results. 20 - 30 hp sounds like improvement but on a 10 ton rig you won't even notice.

The tuner could help with power slightly but, again, you prolly won't feel it. The price of the Banks kit is pretty high for what you will gain. Now if you want an RV that sounds like NASCAR, go for it. But it is still gonna drive like an RV, and the warranty is in question.

I bought the 5 Star Tuner for my coach and I love it for several reasons. First off, it runs 87 octane pump gas. Secondly, 5 Star did not go after a huge power gain so engine is not effected a lot. Where they shine bright is in the transmission software! The shifts are so much better. Plus it is an OBD2 scanner tool I can use on all my cars (even the GM). If I need to have the RV checked by Ford shop I can remove 5 Star tune and put stock tune back in in 5 minutes. I got all this for a fourth the cost of a Banks set-up.

5 Star also offers cold air intake and exhaust system for the F53 too. I do not know cost as I was not interested in those.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #3

Mowdoc, that's exactly what I needed to know! I'll definitely look at the 5 Star Tuner instead. Like I said, I am actually pretty happy with the power, but the shifts could definitely be better. Also, I don't really want to blow my warranty if I can help it. Concerning the power, I looked at a video from "Gone with the Wynns," a young hip full-time RV couple who went from a diesel Fleetwood to a gas Fleetwood Bounder. They were really down on the F53's power, likening it to driving around a diesel with the parking brake on. Also, he complained bitterly of the sway and rolling of the chassis. I haven't really experienced either of those issues on my Jayco Precept, but I've also never driven a diesel either. Are you pretty happy with the engine performance of yours, especially with the heavier chassis? Once again, thanks for your help. You saved me a lot of money.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banks power v10 precept