Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Batteries dead while in storage

We have a 2016 precept 31UL..purchased a few months ago..we have only been out 2 times and are about to go out again. My husband checks it weekly..lets the generator run every 2 weeks or so.. Today he went to storage and generator would barely start and batteries appear dead.. We live in SC..its been very warm here..can the batteries die that fast and why isnt there a turn off switch for batteries in RV's like in TT's..or is there? And dealer just didnt tell us? Any help would be appreciated..calling CW first thing tomorrow! Thanks
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #2

Our Greyhawk has a battery disconnect switch by the entry door. I cannot imagine the even more upscale Precept not having this switch.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #3

Your model does have a disconnect switch, here is what the 2016 online manual shows.
12-VOLT BATTERY DISCONNECT
The 12-volt battery disconnect switch is located near the entrance door. This momentary switch controls a latching type solenoid (located near the house batteries), which connects or disconnects the house batteries dependent upon the number of times it is pushed.
When engaged the battery disconnect solenoid supplies battery power to all accessories connected to the house 12-volt fuse panel.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:31 PM   #4

he finally got the generator firing..but the batteries to the rv are dead ..dead..dead..so we will be caling CW in the morning..its hard to believe in a weeks time they would be dead..as he goes out there once a week and we took it out for a drive 2 weeks ago to fill it up with gas..thanks for the replies
Old 09-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

Have your husband read through the electrical section in the manual. If he isn't using the battery disconnect switch it doesn't take long for a battery to drain, even a new one.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:50 PM   #6

yep..i just read it..those are the things CW never told us!!GRRR
Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #7

Ditto to all of the above recommendations. We had a Greyhawk for 4 summer seasons and in May purchased a 2016 31UL precept. The switch labeled, "Main Power" is on the left hand side as you enter the door. We have always shut that off as we leave the vehicle in storage and have not had an issue with either vehicle.
CamperNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:42 AM   #8

Sheila, the switch everyone is talking about has a red light that is on when the battery is connected and turns off when the battery is disconnected. It was probably on or you would have no lights. Also, when I turn that switch on, my radio will go on. Maybe it's just me. In case you don't know, there is a Precept owners group here and there is lots of good information on Precepts. Keep in mind that different years and different model Precept may be different. Heck, the same year and model may be different. But, this is a good source for the information you seek. To get there; click on Communities, then on Social Groups. You will see on this screen, a picture of a Precept. Click on it and you’re in. Good luck.

PS: Don't depend on CW knowing a lot about Precepts
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs A Class View Post
Sheila, the switch everyone is talking about has a red light that is on when the battery is connected and turns off when the battery is disconnected. It was probably on or you would have no lights. Also, when I turn that switch on, my radio will go on. Maybe it's just me. In case you don't know, there is a Precept owners group here and there is lots of good information on Precepts. Keep in mind that different years and different model Precept may be different. Heck, the same year and model may be different. But, this is a good source for the information you seek. To get there; click on Communities, then on Social Groups. You will see on this screen, a picture of a Precept. Click on it and you’re in. Good luck.

PS: Don't depend on CW knowing a lot about Precepts
At our dealer, the service manager and owner were the only ones knowing anything about the Precepts. Our salesman (Ha.. Ha) was a waste of time when asking any questions and also the walk-thru tech.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #10

Thats the power button as explained to us..lol and yes..its always on off when we leave the unit..found out it is a bad battery and will be replaced thru ford warranty..getting it done tomorrow..service dept wanted to get ugly..as usual with our CW , i had to go over their heads to get it done properly..bimbo wanted us to take unit back to storage and take to ford dealership tomorrow..im like nooooo..have you talked to the big boss? Lol.. Long story short..it will be done!