Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
JNB

Question Buying 2017 Precept 35S and have questions

I have been shopping for an RV, started looking at mid-sized travel trailers and now I'm ending up with a Class A. I think I'm making the right choice -- but there are so many decisions.

I started looking at Thor's Windsport and Hurricane lines, then I saw the Precept 35S. It seems to offer everything we wanted with fewer compromises. I will have better questions when I know more, but right now my two main questions are about the refrigerator and the washer/dryer. I see that the 2017 35S offers a larger, 4-door refrigerator (I think it's a Norcold). When I have seen that refrigerator in other RV's I thought it had an ice maker, when I saw a 2017 35S in person today, no ice maker. I thought I wanted an ice maker but I don't want it to be a deal breaker. The unit I saw today did not have the washer/dryer, but the hook-ups were there (I didn't look for a dryer vent but I guess one's there or else they cut a hole?). I saw pictures online where it appears that Jayco puts a combination washer/dryer in this unit and I *think* I would prefer separate units: 1. So we can wash one load while we dry another and 2. I think I'd rather have separate, serviceable less-complex machine. 3. Full body paint: Should I buy it? It's so expensive!!

I really appreciate having a forum of other owners to share ideas with and I look forward to lotsa years of happy RV-ing!
JNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #2

Hmm.....no icemaker? The 4 door Norcold 1200 model has been around a long time and Jayco appears to use the same model in all of its motorhomes which feature the larger 12 cubic foot refrigerator. I love mine. It is quite sensitive to lean......if it is more than 3 degrees off-level side-to-side (left to right, NOT front to back), then it won't cool, but the Jayco has leveling jacks so no problem....ask me how I know.
The ice maker will always be behind the upper left door, NOT the upper right.
Norcold does make this refrigerator without an icemaker, but I would be surprised if they omitted it in the 35S, which is a premium model. I bought my Precept prior to the release of the 35S, which I would have to say is now my favorite layout if I had to do it all over again. Can't say much about the washer/dryer except that I'm jealous!
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

We looked at the 31 UL really hard until we did a side by side comparison and decided on the 35S with full body paint. I think they did drop the icemaker and the rear ladder in '17 but the '17 has better sinks. It is prep'ed for the washer/dryer combo which saves room over separates. The 35S has massive amounts of storage which is great for long trips and lots of gear for fishing, hunting and hobbies. We looked at all the gas class A's and then compared tank sizes since we do a lot of dry camping. Jayco offered the most bang for the buck. If we had another $25,000 in our budget we would have gone for the Tiffen Allegro but this being our first class A decided on Jayco for value and what it had to offer. Go for the full body paint, it's easier to maintain and the resale value will be % higher.
Attached Thumbnails
Icicle Creek RV Resort.jpg  
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 AM   #4

We have a 2016 35S, so I can only share my experience with this year. I had heard they dropped the ice maker for the 2017.

Assuming the cabinet size is the same as ours, there's barely enough room for separates but it would be next to impossible to get them in there. The outside of the cabinet hangs do from the top of the inside. You could probably put the dryer in the cabinet next to the washer. As for the vent hole, Jayco provides a template for the location. We decided to not install w/d & have the extra storage. If you go to a laundromat, you can do ALL your laundry at once & not fill up your gray water tank with the washer.

Full body paint is a personal decision. It is pretty expensive. Resale is higher but I don't think it would be $12K higher. They do look better & you don't have decals that will eventually crack. There are products that claim to keep decals from cracking.

Jeff
cartpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Just purchased a 2016 35s. Chose the 2016 over the 2017 because of price and the16 had the full body paint. The ice maker and washer/dryer we considered a bonus both were not deal breakers but have proved to be nice the have. We looked for 6 month before deciding on the 35s. After comparing with like coaches from Thor and Coachmen we just felt there was more quality in the Jayco. This forum helped a lot in our decision making.

Tom
Coachhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #6

Tom, welcome to the fold. Looks like we're neighbors. We bought ours Aug. 1 & have taken it out once, so far. I'm still trying to learn everything about it. We love the floor plan, especially the king size bed. Not many RVs have them.

There is a Precept owners group forum, here.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

Check it out. There's about 50 pages of really great info, there.

Did you get the light full body paint or the dark? Thompson's RV had a Beachstone (light) full body paint with a light grey interior. I really liked it but couldn't justify the cost.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

Congrats Coachmark on your purchase. Welcome to the Jayco Precept "family"
If you haven't already, sign up to the Precept Owners Group...
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

Signed up and following
Old 11-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #9
JNB

They are hard to find also, I had to drive 200 miles to look at one in person. It was a 2017 and did not have either the rear ladder or ice maker, just 4 big ice cube trays in that four door refrigerator.

Icemaker's not a deal break though.. I was already concerned about what extra work/care might be required to keep it happy.
JNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Jeff the precept forum really helped in making our decision. We had to go to Mesa Arizona to find the color/interior we wanted. Got the Beachstone with the brown. Wish they had one at Richardsons but we are going to own this coach for a long time so we bought the one we wanted. Did you get the 2016 or 2017?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #11

Coachhark, we bought a 2016. The 2017s were rolling in, so we got a great deal. About 1/3 off. Petty substantial for a $150K coach. Of course the resale will suffer a bit, since it was a year older than if we'd bought a '17 but we got a better deal, so it should make up for the extra depreciation. We also like the look of the older front cap & the cream color gelcoat.

Jeff
Old 11-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #12

So you got it for $75,000?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:41 AM   #13

No, it listed for just under $150K & we got it fof $100K. I wish we got it for 75.

Jeff
Old 11-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #14

Close to the same deal

My 2016 35S had an MSRP of $148 and we ended up at just under $98k. Has the ice maker and plumbed/wired for WD but we didn't want or need that. The only thing I would do without if I were ordering a new one is to eliminate the bunk bed over the drivers seat. Since ours came with that option we will probably use that area for blanket storage.

The icemaker is nice, now we don't have to buy ice at campgrounds unless a crowd shows up at mealtime.

Can figure out why Ford doesn't put the 6.7 diesel in the F53 chassis, that change would make a world of difference especially climbing hills and towing.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

Hello everyone,

I am also a proud owner of a 2016 Precept 35s. I had a lot of issues with my coach right out of the gate. Poor workmanship was really the issue, but the RV dealer has been quite helpful with resolving the problems. Enough said.....

The question I have, is the coach wired for a satellite dish? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you

Chuck
cbialeckisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM   #16

Changes for the 2017 include eliminating the ice maker, and the rear ladder.
Add after market washer dryer that you like. Ice maker can be added later as well.
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbialeckisr View Post
Hello everyone,

I am also a proud owner of a 2016 Precept 35s. I had a lot of issues with my coach right out of the gate. Poor workmanship was really the issue, but the RV dealer has been quite helpful with resolving the problems. Enough said.....

The question I have, is the coach wired for a satellite dish? I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you

Chuck
Welcome to the forum, but I can't help with your question. If other Precept owners don't respond soon, maybe your dealer could answer it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 PM   #18

Our 2016 Precept 35S has a 4 door fridge with ice maker an a combo washer/dryer. We love both. We chose the Dove Gray interior, king bed is great. Had warranty issues, we fixed some, dealer is fixing the rest, even a front wheel alignment reimbursement from Jayco. Strange, commode was crooked - we fixed it ourselves. Dealer told us Jayco is using them for quality control.
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #19

Are you sure Ice Maker can be added later to 2017 12cubic ft Norcold??

Is anyone firmly positive in knowing if one can later add-in the automatic ice-maker to the optional Jayco Norcold 12 CF 4 door fridge? They eliminated that in the 2017 models, but some have commented that it might be possible to add later. Anyone know this for sure?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post
Is anyone firmly positive in knowing if one can later add-in the automatic ice-maker to the optional Jayco Norcold 12 CF 4 door fridge? They eliminated that in the 2017 models, but some have commented that it might be possible to add later. Anyone know this for sure?
You might want to contact Norcold, to see if there is a retrofit kit for it.

Jeff

Tags
2017, 35s, dryer, precept, washer