Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Cancelled Deal On 31UL

Everything approved and set to go. Dealership called and said the engine light had came back on. Pretty strange deal with this issue. When we initially looked at this unit and they moved it the next day the light came on, which was suppose to be a big shocker to them. Then when we test drove it the light was not on. So did someone reset the code or did it just go out by itself? Who knows. Then the day before delivery it is back on again!

Instead of finding a big truck center with a lift they talked a Ford dealer into looking at it. Due to waiting for an appointment with the Ford dealer the delivery was put off another few days. Of course we had full paid insurance put in place for original delivery date on the new unit and insurance expiring on our trade unit. Now all that had to be changed but really didn't know what date to change it to because the Ford dealer wasn't too confident he could fix what was causing the engine code to activate.

Not wanting to take a almost $100,000 new RV with issues, plus being jerked around until who knows when on a delivery, we cancelled the entire deal and went back to looking. Probably a good thing because the Ford dealer ended up telling the Jayco dealer that they could not fix it and it would have to be taken to a truck center 40 miles away.

Just got back from driving a used (some other brand) 2014 MH that was 37' long, cheaper than the price we were about to pay on the Precept, and only had 3,000 miles on it. We will see.
FLHTK-JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #2

Yep, if your not feeling it you certainly did the right thing, best of luck finding your vacation home.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Yep, if your not feeling it you certainly did the right thing, best of luck finding your vacation home.

Steve
You have to go with your gut. $100k for something with an issue would be just asking for problems down the road. Maybe if they discounted it to $85k and included an extended warrantee on the chassis and drive train I might consider it. As is, the dealer will get it fixed [for how long ???] and will sell it to the next guy without disclosing the initial problem.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

I agree with everybody - I would never close a deal on something as sketchy as a check engine light on a new motor coach.

I am semi retired, but work p/t turning wrenches in a coach bus company repair shop. I've seen $650,000 Prevost coaches with trouble codes bring even the best Prevost techs to their knees. Always a finger pointing battle between engine, tranny, or other component manufacturers.

Good call walking away and good luck in your continued efforts to find something you are comfortable with.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

After my initial test drive of the Precept I just didn't feel that comfortable trying to go straight down the interstate in "good" conditions. I tried to justify it by considering Illinois bad roads, coach being unloaded, and me being unfamiliar with it. But then I got behind the wheel of the SOB MH, which had a much longer wheelbase. It was amazing how I could simply run down an extremely rough interstate highway using two fingers to steer! The unit did not wonder and it rode like a cady compared to the Precept.

I am not trying to bad mouth Jayco Precepts at all and I still think if we would have been dealing on the right 2017 with longer wheel base I would be sitting in it now typing this. But everything may have worked out for the best because the used one drove out really nice, is bigger, and they have cut us a really good deal IMHO.

Thanks to all for your advise and support.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

I would walk away from that deal too, with that said, my Precept 35UN rides like a dream, I couldn't be happier with it's handling, when towing I don't know the car is back there. I do have the 228" wheel base, which can make all the difference in the world. Good luck on you search, by the way, I paid 79k for my new 2015 35UN in November. Do your do diligence on price.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 AM   #7

Sadly, these kind of issues are becoming all too common as more and more vehicles become software controlled. Not just RVs, but cars and trucks as well. The computer code that runs them is only available to the R&D departments at the companies that manufacture them. So anyone attempting to fix one of the these monsters, including the dealerships, is left to guess and speculate what the issue might be.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #8

Just purchased a 2017 Precept 31UL the build sheet has 228in wheel base 22000lb susp, the frame has a sticker with 228 wheel base , only problem is my tape measure has 190 in we are in contact with Jayco to see what is up ????
Tvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Somewhere I posted this a couple months ago. I think the 22.5 tires are the big change, and they do carry a higher load rating.

I read somewhere motor coach manufacturers change wheelbase lengths to matc their needs, and Ford says it's fine to do.

Steve
Old 08-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #10

Here was that thread on another forum.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f113/jayc...-291051-3.html

Steve
Old 08-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

Sitting here in a 14 Thor Challenger 37GT. Found one with only 3,200 miles. Of course it had the larger wheels and longer wheel base so it road much better. The Ford chassis/engine was a 2014 and the coach was a 2015, but it was originally titled and sold May 2014, so I have original factory 3 yr/36,000 warranty until next May.

It is a nice coach and drives like a dream. Since it was used I got it a few thousand less than I was going to pay for the shorter new Precept. I am a happy camper!

Thanks to all for suggestions and advise.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #12

They all depreciate at the same rate and they don't make them like the used to.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote