Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Changing from class C to Class A

I have had a Jayco Class C for about 12 years and it has started to have a few nickle and dime problems. (Usually more than nickle and dime). I am thinking of going to a Class A for quite a few reasons. Don't want a new one because of that big loss when it hits the curb ( I assume RV's have the same loss autos do). My class C is 31 foot and I would like a couple feet only more on a Class A. So talk to me. Tell me what I need to know and/or talk me out of it. LOL.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
ChuckD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

The view out the front window. Nothing more to be said.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

With your experience in the class c, what did you like, what is required of a new unit and what are your dislikes? Jayco has the Precepts and Alantes avail as class a coaches. The Precepts have been around longer and are avail in larger lengths. You can find some used deals. The Alante is newer and has lengths starting at about 28'. The Alante line is good value for your $ and they include many features find in higher end coaches like MCD shades, snap latch cargo doors, frameless windows, hardwood cabinets...
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #4

I started out with a Jayco 25' Class C (2005 Escapade). Nice enough motor home but it didn't take long to decide to go bigger. Went to a 30' Class A. This was a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer. Really nice rig, rode like a bread truck and was a busy drive. Great view out the front window. Not enough comfortable sleeping room for 6 people. Went back to the Class C in my signature. Number 1, wife like the floor plan. Larger galley and more sleeping area. This Greyhawk drives and rides MUCH better than the Winnebago.

So perhaps the Jayco class A with the J ride will drive and ride better than my Winnebago. And nowadays a lot of these rigs have the loft beds for additional sleeping quarters. A real bonus. You'll just have to take it for a nice long drive to figure that out.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 AM   #5

My Winnie 'C' also drove like complete slop compared to my Greyhawk.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #6

Sitting in my driveway right now is a 31 Granite Ridge and a 35 Precept. Been driving the C for years and bought the A a few months ago. Not my first A by a long shot so I'm not new to the various rigs. In fact I also have a 40' Newmar DP in the driveway.
I love that C! So easy to drive, so easy to get into a regular curb parking space in town, so easy to maintain, cheaper tires, more campground spaces available and tons of other reasons. I really can go on and on about how much I love that class C.
But, with the A I get endurance, much more extensive staying power for camping without hookups. A tremendous boost in cargo capacity particularly with the Precept and its many pass-through bays. An increase in engine power because the C V10 is a 20 valve while the A V10 is a thirty valve - and boy you can feel the difference. My A pulls a grade much better than my C. I have a four door fridge in the A which is a really great deal, allows me to shop much less frequently than I have to with the small C fridge. One thing I really like on the A that I thought wouldn't matter to me is the outside TV. I actually very much enjoy that, quite a surprise. And I now have a king bed Vs whatever that thing is in my C. I'm 6'3" and the king is such a nice improvement. Also the larger gas tank has taken me from a 400 mile cruise range to 600 miles and that works out nicely too, for taking advantage of cheaper gas. I just filled up in Yuma AZ and refilled in Pismo Beach CA, which is a heck of a good run on one tank. So as much as I love my C I am going to sell it because the A is just doing a better job of meeting my needs and comforts. Hope this helps!
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #7

We were going to get a c tell we looked at the bay storage water tank size gas tank and the front seats turn around for your living room. I didn't thank I would like the big windshield but it's like watching a movie going down the road it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #8

How old is the Precept?

Here is another question I have been trying to find, maybe one of you know. How long has Jayco been making Precept? I like what I see of them but can't find one more than two years old. Beings I am paying cash I can't, and don't want to buy a new one.
Thanks for all the replies.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 02-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #9

Just out of interest have you looked at used Senecas? Not sure if that's too spendy for you, but so many on this forum love theirs. And you don't have to worry about the structure around the cab (akin to a Class 'C').

Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #10

preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #11

I went from an old class C to a class A 2015 Jayco Precept 29UM. Got it brand new with all the options for $87,500 (MSRP was almost $127,000).
Advantages:
1. Far better ride and stability in crosswinds or passing or being passed by big rigs. I don't get pushed around. I credit the purpose built, industrial strength F53 motorhome chassis with more load capacity when compared to the E450 stripped van C class chassis.
2. Far more power and responsiveness, especially with the SCT 5-Star Tune ECU fuel map on the 3-valve/cylinder 6.8L V10, compared to the 2-valve/cyl C-class.
3. Massive 70 gallon water tank, 50 gallon black tank, and 40 gallon grey tank.
4. 50 amp service with whisper quiet Onan 5500 twin-cylinder generator. All of the class C's come with the single cylinder 4000 watt Onan, and boy is a LOT louder and obnoxious compared to my 5500.
5. Huge interior and high 7 foot tall ceilings.
6. Flip around cockpit chairs.
7. Tremendous basement storage.
8. 4 door fridge option in mine.
9. 80 gallon fuel tank (C class only has 55 gallons at best.)
10.Pleasing view out of the theater-sized windshield and the down-sloped dashboard, which is at knee height.

Cons:
1. C -class cockpit is simply better built than that from Jayco.
2. C -class cockpit has much better air conditioning and heating than the A class. In my C, the dash air and/or heat could keep me comfortable. By contrast, the A on hot days requires use of the generator and ceiling AC, while on very cold days it requires use of the furnace. That big windshield lets in not only more light, but a lot more heat.
3. While many would argue that the C is easier to drive, I disagree. Once you get used to the A class, there is nothing to it, especially these shorter wheelbase F53s. I can even back my trailer with it into a tight spot with little difficulty.

A class: 10
C class: 2

Happy shopping. Btw, I've seen my model for a low as $64,000 on RV trader.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #12

My wife and I are kicking around this idea ourselves. We take the Greyhawk to Disney in just over a month from NJ. I keep telling my DW, we're going to learn a lot about ourselves and the ride when we get done w/ this vacation.

If the Precept is noticeably more quiet, easier to drive, and more powerful that'll certainly go a long way.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #13

Well, I have learned a bunch since the first post. Sadly I have learned my RV is not worth as much as I thought, regardless of all my improvements. Next I found the RV's I like, the Jayco Precepts. And I won't be upgrading until we can pay cash. I don't want to leave My Dear Bride a big bill if I should wake up on the wrong side of the grass. So it may be a while, if ever. Thanks for all the replies.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #14

It's unfortunate when the numbers don't line up. Sorry to hear your bubble got burst.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #15

Thanks, maybe I should go for something less, Like a HR or a Monarch or something.
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 03-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #16

My Dear Bride has come up with the idea we should update (upgrade) our 2005 Class C to a class A a few years newer so we won't have to save so much cash so soon. Then a couple (or more) years later up date (upgrade) to a newer one again. I am not so sure of this idea, just a feeling. We like the Jayco Class A but they still new (and expensive). Anyone really happy with their Class A's, not counting the high class and elegant. I know of them buuuutttt, you know how it is. Any thoughts on this?
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 03-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD37 View Post
My Dear Bride has come up with the idea we should update (upgrade) our 2005 Class C to a class A a few years newer so we won't have to save so much cash so soon. Then a couple (or more) years later up date (upgrade) to a newer one again. I am not so sure of this idea, just a feeling. We like the Jayco Class A but they still new (and expensive). Anyone really happy with their Class A's, not counting the high class and elegant. I know of them buuuutttt, you know how it is. Any thoughts on this?
We have a new Alante 31v and really like it. We have only taken it out once, last weekend, to try it overnight in 20º temps. With the furnace set to 68 and a ceramic space heater going, we were very warm! We used the shower and had plenty of hot water. The tank heaters were on and a small ceramic heater was in the wetbay so we had no problems with anything freezing and we dumped when we left the state park (no water or sewer hookups). Only issues are the shower leaked some water out onto the floor on one corner so we will add calk to stop that and the check engine light came on while driving back home. The second item is a Ford issue, not Jayco, and we are waiting for the dealer to diagnose and fix it before we leave for a four day weekend this Saturday.

Overall, we believe the Alante is a great value with many higher end features not usually found at this price point. If you can find the right floodplan for your needs, you should be happy!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #18

We bought the Precept 31 UL in Dec I LOVE everything about it. We had a bad spark plug that got me upset delaying our maiden voyage over the holodays but hardly anything else needed a tweak. We added a ladder and a safe T plus so it runs like a top. Love the big refrigerator, the layout etc. only thing is I'm afraid to drive it. The big window is lovely as a passenger but overwhelming for this little lady
Our old class C was like a pick up truck and I was fine with that but can't give my DH a break at the wheel. LOoking to trade in an almost new A our dream RV for a smaller C. Should have tested one before buying and having to move down in the world Somebody is going to benefit from this
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #19

Maybe Me
2017Jayco Precept
towing a 2007 Honda CR-V
Old 04-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD37 View Post
Maybe Me
They say that timing is everything.