Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

Charging the toad battery

We expect to tow our 2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited 4x4 AD II 3.2 behind our new Precept 35S next Friday when we pick it up at Tampa RV. We will spend the weekend at Lazydays sorting things out before heading back on Monday.
I ordered a Blue Ox Avail which will be connected to a Blue Ox 1138 tow plate I ordered and will install on Wednesday. I also ordered the Blue Ox wiring kit which I hope to install between Monday and Tuesday of next week.
I also ordered the Blue Ox Patriot II which I'll try out before leaving. My question is should I/how do you provide 12v to the toad to make up what the Patriot will consume? I know the 7 to 6 connector carries 12v but don't believe there is any connection on the Jeep from it other than the lights. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #2

Run a wire from the center pin to the battery + terminal. Be sure to put in an inline fuse.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

I wired a charge line to my toads, I did it with a new towbar connecting cable that included a conductor for the 12-volt feed. I made sure it was fused at the MH end and connected it to the battery of each toad using a diode and fuse at that end. The diode assembly prevents the toad's battery from backfeeding into the motorhome's electrical system.

One type of readily available diode assembly is called Toad Charge, here is information about it: TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

If I understand it correctly, I can connect a wire to the rear of the bumper mounted six pin 12 volt post and then to a diode (specs?), to an inline fuse (10 amp?) and put it on the positive battery terminal and that should do it.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Diode not required if you are careful

Palms,

I installed a charging line from my 6 pin Wrangler connector consisting of a 14 gauge wire fused at the battery positive post. If you are careful not to run your Jeep engine while hooked up to your motor home the diode is not required. If you choose a diode anything rated above 10 amps and 25v will suffice. Is should be connected to conduct 12v from your motor home and will block the power from your Jeep system to the motor home.

If is important that your 6 pin ground connection be kept clean and free of corriosion or it can become a high resistance connection point. I expect at some time in the future I will likely run the 6 pin ground directly to the battery negative terminal.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
If I understand it correctly, I can connect a wire to the rear of the bumper mounted six pin 12 volt post and then to a diode (specs?), to an inline fuse (10 amp?) and put it on the positive battery terminal and that should do it.

I use this on my toads, has worked great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004R...hiL&ref=plSrch

You should verify that you have 12 volts available at the MH plug when the coach engine is running, but I hope Jayco or Ford did connect it up. Some pickups are shipped with the trailer tow power relay in the glovebox requiring the owner or dealer to install it to enable 12 volts to the tow receptacle. Maybe the F-53 chassis has it already installed.

Does Jayco install a standard 7-pole tow receptacle on the Class A units?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

The 7 way plug is already installed on the Jayco and I will use a 7 to 6 wire connector that goes to the toad. Seems like I'd have to take the 12v + out from the back of the 6 connector plug that isn't used in the tow wiring kit if I get it correctly. Does the BrakeBuddy Hopkins 39322 you linked to have the fuse and diode built in? Not much information on the BrakeBuddy site. I see the red and black terminals which I guess connect to the battery. What other cable is there and how is it connected to the source? If this is used, then no need for the inline fuse and diode? Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Yes, the fuse and diode are built in, I believe the two wires are both positive, one from the tow vehicle and one to the toad battery. You must bring a ground wire from the tow vehicle to the toad's battery if it has not already been done for the toad's lighting.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #9

Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
I use this on my toads, has worked great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004R...hiL&ref=plSrch

You should verify that you have 12 volts available at the MH plug when the coach engine is running, but I hope Jayco or Ford did connect it up. Some pickups are shipped with the trailer tow power relay in the glovebox requiring the owner or dealer to install it to enable 12 volts to the tow receptacle. Maybe the F-53 chassis has it already installed.

Does Jayco install a standard 7-pole tow receptacle on the Class A units?
I just ordered it and I should be able to install it next week prior to leaving. Ready as I'll ever be. Thanks so much everyone for all your help.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

Installed, super easy. One wire to +12v center pin on 6 way and the other to the battery positive post. Includes built in 20 amp mini fuse and, while didn't confirm it, I understand it includes a diode. The Hopkins Brake Buddy was $21.23 delivered with Prime Amazon.