Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Class As Flat as RV Industry Wraps up Best Year in a Decade

Interesting to read that almost 375,000 units were shipped in 2015, an increase of 4.9% over 2014. While the vast majority were towables (87%), of the 47,000+ motorized sold last year, not surprisingly, Class A & C dominated (both with about a 46% share EACH).

What was noticeable is that the Class C shipments increased by nearly 16% year over year while Class As were FLAT!

Here's the RVIA data
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarrett50 View Post
Interesting to read that almost 375,000 units were shipped in 2015, an increase of 4.9% over 2014. While the vast majority were towables (87%), of the 47,000+ motorized sold last year, not surprisingly, Class A & C dominated (both with about a 46% share EACH).

What was noticeable is that the Class C shipments increased by nearly 16% year over year while Class As were FLAT!

Here's the RVIA data
I would call that a reflection of the economy.

Units that are more affordable sell better and more people going full time in RVs in an attempt to save money. These are not Class A buyers IMO
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #3

We just purchased our first RV (have had a Popup and a TT) while shopping we priced both As and Cs. We found that the price difference between Greyhawk 29mv and a Precept 31ul was about 12 grand. With similar bells and whistles, the big difference for us was layout. If price was the deciding factor, we would have went with the Greyhawk and I would guess that for a lot of people, price is the deciding factor or more than likely the monthly payment.

Also I would imagine if this is your first venture into the RVing world, a C would less intimidating. We test drove both on a windy day found that we could handle the A so combined with a layout we liked we popped for a the Precept.

We have a bad habit of settling for something because of price and later regretting it.😁
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I would call that a reflection of the economy.

Units that are more affordable sell better and more people going full time in RVs in an attempt to save money. These are not Class A buyers IMO
I agree it's a reflection of the economy, but not in the same way as you.

I doubt highly a significant percentage of new RVs, any class, were purchased as a lower cost housing alternative. I would attribute the the Class C growth to the proliferation of the Super C.

The economy is booming which is why the RV industry experienced growth -- certain industries and micro economies might be suffering, oil for instance - which ironically is still good for the RV industry.

The interesting this about expanding/ growing economies is most people don't realize how good it was till it's not, in fact the entire growth period you hear complaints about the economy. I have no idea if you work, if so which industry it is, nor what the micro economy is where you live -- but 2015 has to characterized as a positive economic environment. The market indices showed flat to a minor correction in q4, but if you look more wholisticly there was robust job growth, booming commercial construction, significant growth in residential housing starts, automotive sales grew and many other industries experienced solid growth.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I agree it's a reflection of the economy, but not in the same way as you.

I doubt highly a significant percentage of new RVs, any class, were purchased as a lower cost housing alternative. I would attribute the the Class C growth to the proliferation of the Super C.

The economy is booming which is why the RV industry experienced growth -- certain industries and micro economies might be suffering, oil for instance - which ironically is still good for the RV industry.

The interesting this about expanding/ growing economies is most people don't realize how good it was till it's not, in fact the entire growth period you hear complaints about the economy. I have no idea if you work, if so which industry it is, nor what the micro economy is where you live -- but 2015 has to characterized as a positive economic environment. The market indices showed flat to a minor correction in q4, but if you look more wholisticly there was robust job growth, booming commercial construction, significant growth in residential housing starts, automotive sales grew and many other industries experienced solid growth.
Work in the oil and gas industry. Not pretty right now for us here in the South.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Work in the oil and gas industry. Not pretty right now for us here in the South.
I worked in Houston as a civil engineer in the 80s and saw the local economy crash in that oil recession. Had to sell my house in Katy, TX when the mortgage was underwater. It's painful to go to the closing as the seller and have to take a check. I know from friends still in that area that they are being hit hard again.

But conversely the economy is booming in the Research Triangle (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, NC). Seems like every company here is looking help.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
I certainly can sympathize. Out of college I went to work in the technology field. I experienced the dot com crash, then the 2008 recession before I found a way to transfer my experience and skills to an industry I hope will be much more stable in the long term -- medical capital equipment.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote