Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #1

Customer Service will be tested

Hi All,
Discovered that my new 2015 35UN has a leaky slide room, the gasket around the slide has holes on the top corner, I believe the only way to fixing this is too replace the gasket and the water damage that is in the coach, Looks like a tile is coming up under the couch, you can clearly see water damage, and a compromised gasket around the slide in the pictures I sent Jayco and the Service Manager at Albany RV. There were a number of minor issues that they are aware of and working on, but this is not a minor issue. Does anyone know if the slide room needs to be removed, a new gasket installed and the slide room placed back, And any water damaged subfloor replaced, does the dealer do this or will this be a road trip to Jayco for me?

I am trying to remain patient and calm about my discovery this weekend, not going to judge Jayco or dealer until I see the path this will take. I am frustrated to say the least, a brand New motorhome should not have these issues. If the delivery was done correctly in Buffalo, I would have seen these issues at the time, but the delivery was rushed, it took place outside in the cold in the back of the dealers lot, I caught several issues at that time, but I couldn't look over the coach as well as I would have liked to. Now it's time for Jayco and Albany RV to step their game up.

Any advise with dealing with Jayco or the dealer would be appreciated.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #2

I had a bent axle I didn't discover until 800 miles or so after pulling off the lot. It was an eye opening experience getting it resolved. It cost a significant amount of time chasing down the dealer, Jayco and Dexter (who made the axle), calling almost every day after a month passed. It also cost me 3 months to get fixed (summer..) and a new tire. The experience certainly wasn't like getting a car fixed or what I was expecting. I hope your experience is much better than mine.
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

On a similar note, I have contacted Dexter through their website with regards to a bent axle and haven't heard a thing back from them. It says a lot about a company when they won't even reply to their customers.

The biggest factor in getting your issue resolved easily is the quality of your dealer. It's when the dealer is a "failership" and you have to deal directly with Jayco that things get frustrating. A good dealership will do the dirty work on your behalf and then let you know when it's resolved. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

I know you didn't buy it there but why don't you try Whitehorse RV in Williamstown. Not that far from you. Either way you'll wait for warranty issues
Spanky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

I bought my 2015 35UN from RV One because no one was even close to the price I paid. White Horse did not have any 35UN when I was buying, I bought my 35UN for 79k. I was at WH this weekend, My friends are looking to buy an Eagle 360QBOK 5th wheel, I took them over to WH for a price, they got a very good price.

I am dealing with the manager of customer service Motorhome division with Jayco and the service manager at Albany RV. I sent lots of pictures to them both showing the issues. So far no response from either.

Does any know if removing a slide room and replacing the gasket around it and replacing the room is something that can be done at the dealer?
Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Does anyone know if the slide room needs to be removed, a new gasket installed and the slide room placed back, And any water damaged subfloor replaced, does the dealer do this or will this be a road trip to Jayco for me?

Probably the slide room needs to be removed in particular to assess and repair the water damage, if not the replacement of the slide rubbers. I would assume it is best to go to Jayco.
=====================================
a brand New motorhome should not have these issues.

Wrong, very wrong. Plenty of new motorhomes have major problems and you have no lemon law protection. So, be patient and consistent. Suffering is part of the dream.

Please note, these are luxury, optional purchases, and not required to be daily operational. You are the industry quality control and this is not a car that is subject to lemon laws.
========

If the delivery was done correctly in Buffalo, I would have seen these issues at the time, but the delivery was rushed, it took place outside in the cold in the back of the dealers lot, I caught several issues at that time, but I couldn't look over the coach as well as I would have liked to.

Your fault. No excuses.
====================
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky1 View Post
I know you didn't buy it there but why don't you try Whitehorse RV in Williamstown. Not that far from you. Either way you'll wait for warranty issues
New Jersey owners, I am curious if the NJ lemon law covers RV's.

I have bought several cars at F.C. Kerbeck and I was covered by the NJ Lemon law even though I live in PA and the cars were registered in PA.

Bobby
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

From what I read RV's are covered under the NJ lemon law. I am not at the point to declare a lemon, In good faith I will let Jayco and Albany work together in resolving this in a timely manor, Jayco asked when I was planning to use my MH, I told them when and was assured it will be dealt with and completed before that date.

Delco Bobby, Thanks for the idea of looking into the NJ lemon law
Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Sounds like a good plan as long as it is fulfilled by Albany and Jayco. I like Jayco's response.

To be honest one reason I asked is that I am considering buying my next RV in Jersey and I had not thought about the lemon law there.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

I Agree with Roger. More of these moments to come.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #11

Good morning.
I discovered spider cracks in the front cap as it turns up into the flat part of the roof on both sides, as well
As around the lock on door. (Service manger says they over tighten the screws when installed).
Dealer and Jayco have been great. The door will be replaced with a new one and the cap will be repaired and repainted. Not happy that this happen but my dealer (Fourwinds in Maroa Illinois) and Jayco have been great. The service manger at the dealer has taken care of it all and I did not have to intercede to get approval. We have been fortunate to have found a Jayco dealer that cares about there customers.
travelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

From this site: https://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html#NJ

New Jersey
Vehicles Covered
Passenger automobiles and motorcycles. Includes the non-living portions of motor homes.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period
3 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service.
2 years or 18,000 miles.

So no, if you think it through, the lemon laws don't really cover the problems of your RV, at least not all the stuff that owners are grousing about in these forums.

Just like the recent Newmar issue regarding the front axle weights. They originally contented the rv was fit for the intended users most of whom they said pull trailers with their stuff inside. Then they offered an "upgraded" front axle as a future purchaser option and in some cases replaced for some of the customers, who helped uncover the issue...All staying within any lemon laws.

And as I understand it, the court cases have not usually favored the buyers. However, your attorney will get paid regardless.

The key to the lemon laws, as I understand it, is being able to rescind/revoke your contract if not capable of being fixed within something like 30 days.

The mfg are expert at just staying inside the limitations and dragging owners along. These are minor issues for Freight liner, Ford, and Cummins as they have the quality controls in place and the volumes.

The mfg is really for the most part a converter and all the warranties and lemon laws are limited and specific to the original mfg.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
From this site: https://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html#NJ

New Jersey
Vehicles Covered
Passenger automobiles and motorcycles. Includes the non-living portions of motor homes.
Repair Interval and Coverage Period
3 repair attempts or 30 calendar days out of service.
2 years or 18,000 miles.

So no, if you think it through, the lemon laws don't really cover the problems of your RV, at least not all the stuff that owners are grousing about in these forums.

Just like the recent Newmar issue regarding the front axle weights. They originally contented the rv was fit for the intended users most of whom they said pull trailers with their stuff inside. Then they offered an "upgraded" front axle as a future purchaser option and in some cases replaced for some of the customers, who helped uncover the issue...All staying within any lemon laws.

And as I understand it, the court cases have not usually favored the buyers. However, your attorney will get paid regardless.

The key to the lemon laws, as I understand it, is being able to rescind/revoke your contract if not capable of being fixed within something like 30 days.

The mfg are expert at just staying inside the limitations and dragging owners along. These are minor issues for Freight liner, Ford, and Cummins as they have the quality controls in place and the volumes.

The mfg is really for the most part a converter and all the warranties and lemon laws are limited and specific to the original mfg.
Thanks for posting that info.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #14

I have no idea how good the customer service is ....yet. But I have several issues with my new Alante so will be taking it in to the dealer soon. Most of the issues are small and cosmetic so should not be an issue. The others are bad caulking causing a leak, no major damage but needs some floor trim replaced. Other stuff is bad wiring and a switch not connected. Not to happy with Jayco's QC so far. My dealer has made an apt and seems interested in getting the issues resolved
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I have no idea how good the customer service is ....yet..

My dealer has made an apt and seems interested in getting the issues resolved
If they communicate everything properly to JAYCO you should not have any issues.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
If they communicate everything properly to JAYCO you should not have any issues.
We will see, I bought the rig from CW and I know the service manager at the local center.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Have been in touch with Jayco, I will be bringing the coach to the Factory for all the repair and upgraded door. should hear this week as to the schedule of when it can be serviced. I was told it will take no longer than 3 weeks to complete all the work, most likely less time but to allow for unforeseen circumstance and parts that may need to be ordered. Jayco will pay for all the travel expenses to and from the factory from NJ.

Will keep you posted.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #18

AWESOME!!, that is the way customer service is supposed to be.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
AWESOME!!, that is the way customer service is supposed to be.
That's the way it normally works as long as the dealer handles it properly. The only thing about going to the factory is it usually takes a while to get it scheduled.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's the way it normally works as long as the dealer handles it properly. The only thing about going to the factory is it usually takes a while to get it scheduled.
Not to mention that i live in California and a Factory trip would be a bit of an undertaking.