Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

dash board rattle

I have 2014 precept 31ul dash sounds like it going come apart when you hit hard bump in road it seams there is a lot flex in dash anyone had same problem
docmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #2

docmodel, WELCOME AND CONGRATULATIONS.
Our '15 31 UL has no noticeable problems. Perhaps you could ask the question on the Precept Owners Group http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

We have 60 members and 125+ threads of information exchanged. Come join the conversations.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

My 2015 Precept 35UN has a very loose dash top. You can see it hopping up and down more than an inch on bouncy roads. I do not believe there is any support under the middle. I am afraid to even put my hand there when I wash window. I plan to get under there this winter (too hot to work right now) and see if I can mount a strut under it. The Precept dash is either a very poor design or Jayco forgot to install any support in my rig.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

There is basically no support under the dash. Looked in there when we had to replace the radio. Wiring nightmare also.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

Following up on this easy fix - - - I took the 4 screws out of the wood looking dash center piece that holds radio and other stuff. It will move away from dash several inches but take it slow and easy as you guide the wiring and A/C hoses along.

Once this is far enough to put arm into use flashlight to see a wooden brace running under the dash top. There is 1 1/2 to 2 inches between the wood brace and plastic dash top.

I bought two large rubber door stops at Lowes. They are the wedge shaped ones made of hard rubber. I also got some Gorilla Glue jell.

I put the glue all over the top side of each wedge and then pushed it between the dash and the wood brace and held it a few seconds for glue to get hold. Be sure to push the wedge hard enough to kinda lift slightly on the dash so all gap is taken up.

I used two wedges as far apart as I could reach them thru the opening.

My dash is very solid now and there is no bouncing or noise as we drive. It really made a difference and cost me 12 bucks and took 30 minutes to do!
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

My next project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

2016 Precept Dash Rattle

My dash also rattles on my 2016 Precept. I used to be able to tightened up the screws up by the windshield, but now they won't tighten any further. Does anyone know what these screws go into under the dash? I am wondering if I can use longer screws or wider screws to tighten it up again?
newgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
Following up on this easy fix - - - I took the 4 screws out of the wood looking dash center piece that holds radio and other stuff. It will move away from dash several inches but take it slow and easy as you guide the wiring and A/C hoses along.

Once this is far enough to put arm into use flashlight to see a wooden brace running under the dash top. There is 1 1/2 to 2 inches between the wood brace and plastic dash top.

I bought two large rubber door stops at Lowes. They are the wedge shaped ones made of hard rubber.......
Similar fix on my Alante... same situation underthe dash. I cut a pool noodle to length, then "clamshelled" it and slid it over the top of the wooden brace. No glue, nice and tight, and if it wears down or needs adjustment its easy to modify later. All the squeak is gone. Oh, I did find two nuts/washer sets missing on the studs that hold the top part of the dash to the lower. Replacing them helped too.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #9

SO you say that there is a wooden block at the front of the dash?

I am assuming that it would be safe to use 1/4" or 1/2" longer screw to grab the wooden block then?
newgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgen View Post
My dash also rattles on my 2016 Precept. I used to be able to tightened up the screws up by the windshield, but now they won't tighten any further. Does anyone know what these screws go into under the dash? I am wondering if I can use longer screws or wider screws to tighten it up again?
Those screws go down into and in some cases thru the plywood lower firewall plate. If you open the engine access door and look up directly towards the wiper motor you might see them sticking thru a bit. I have replaced mine with 1/8" bolts/nuts/lock washer, now they don't come loose any longer. I drilled thru from the top down with a 90º drill so as not to take a chance of hitting the windshield. I suppose you could use a short drill bit from underneath also.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #11

I had a problem with the screws loosening while underway- I swapped the old screws out with a slightly larger screw and problems were solved.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote