Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Day/Night shades for Precept 31 UL

Hi! We are new owners of a 2015 Precept 31 UL. Very excited to moved to the Class A from our Class C. After our first two month experience RVing in the class C we realized we needed more space and this fits ours needs!!! If anyone could pass on information about what they did for shades in the windshield and side window area it would be greatly appreciated. Now we have a curtain but it doesn't help protect the coach from sun. We are new to RVing we purchased our Class C in January 2015 but we are loving it!!!! It has been a good learning experience these past months but lot of fun too. Thanks for any suggestions.

Towing GMC Terrain
Blue Ox
Serdg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

I'm a little confused on what your asking. Our 31UL Precept came with pull-down side shades and the electric windshield shade. Yours did not?

Or are you trying to find something that completely covers the glass areas as in an exterior cover?

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Sorry for the confusion. Our did not come with the shades on the front windshield or driver/passenger windows. We have day and night shades on the other windows.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #4

We have a curtain that you pull for privacy.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

I would contact your dealer. Those shades I referenced should of come with the unit. Jayco advertises those as a "Powered front shade and manual driver/passenger shade (Mandatory) option.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
Old 08-11-2015, 05:53 PM   #6

You got screwed. They should have come standard
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #7

I believe there are three real options on the 2015 UL. The, double refrigerator, the overhead bunk, and the automatic shade. I have the automatic shade and paid extra for it.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #8

Serdg1, as you are new, you may not be aware that there is a Precept owners group here and there is lots of good information on Precepts. Keep in mind that different years and different model Precept may be different. Heck, the same year and model may be different. But, this is a good source for the information you seek. To get there; click on Communities, then on Social Groups. You will see on this screen, a picture of a Precept. Click on it and you’re in. Good luck.

Bob
Old 08-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs A Class View Post
I believe there are three real options on the 2015 UL. The, double refrigerator, the overhead bunk, and the automatic shade. I have the automatic shade and paid extra for it.

Bob
Bob... You are correct that there are only three options but the shade option is a Mandatory option. You had no choice but to buy that one. The other two you could order without if you wanted.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #10

we have the 2015 31ul that did not come with the electric shade, nor was it an option. with 11000 + miles on it we have only used the curtain when we close up at night. Have not had any problems with sun or heat etc.

Bob
2 dogs
1 wife
US Army Vet. 66-68
Private pilot
rahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #11

This is interesting that some UL owners did not get the roll-down side shades and electric windshield shade. Jayco's web information for 2015 identifies that it should of come with them.

2015 Precept Standards & Options | Jayco, Inc.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

While at the Jayco rally this month, Precept owners gathered for a fun evening..progressive snack & visited 4 Precepts. What a fun time we had. Bob's A Class is 100% right. There are differences w/in the same model year. 3 of the Precepts were 31ULs and there were differences. I do not have and it was not offered as an option, elect.windsield blind & manual side curtains. We have a curtain mounted on a track.
Check out the Precept owners group Bob suggested. Lots of great folks.
Welcome & Congratulations on your 31 UL
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #13

My wife and I are very close to finally making a decision on our first class A purchase. We really like the Precept 31UL because of the floor plan, length, price and warranty. I seem to see more negative comments than positive and I realize a disappointed owner is far more likely to post than a content owner. That being said we do not wish for our first experience to be a bad decision and we have joined several forums to get present owners opinions regarding them far more valuable than sales pitches we have received at dealerships. I would very much appreciate feedback from current 2015 or 2016 models as to whether or not a 31UL is overall worth the money.
Thanks in advance
Precept57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

We currently have over 12,000 miles on our 2015 31ul motorhome. Weve had minor problems but our dealer, jims trailers, has been real good at keeping us on the road. A good dealer goes a long way to being a happy camper. Buy the Precept, make it your own, and enjoy the ride.
Bob
2 dogs
1 wife
US Army Vet. 66-68
Private pilot
rahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:29 AM   #15

Precept57, you are wise to seek the opinion of current 31 UL owners. I think what you feel is negative comments is the really the process of working out the problems of owning anything. I agree with your assessment of the Precept, of course. The precept is the third motorhome I have owned and, yes I had some problems, but both me and Mrs. love it. When we are not in it, we are planning for when we will be. We think it is the perfect way to spend our retirement. Good luck!

Bob
Old 08-25-2015, 05:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precept57 View Post
My wife and I are very close to finally making a decision on our first class A purchase. We really like the Precept 31UL because of the floor plan, length, price and warranty. I seem to see more negative comments than positive and I realize a disappointed owner is far more likely to post than a content owner. That being said we do not wish for our first experience to be a bad decision and we have joined several forums to get present owners opinions regarding them far more valuable than sales pitches we have received at dealerships. I would very much appreciate feedback from current 2015 or 2016 models as to whether or not a 31UL is overall worth the money.
Thanks in advance
I wrote this in another post of our opinion on why we went with the 31UL.

Why did we buy the 2015 Precept UL? For us, it was the most bang for the buck. We would of liked to have been able to buy a Newmar Canyon Star, but they were $50-60k more. When comparing the other's comparable priced units during our search, these were our deciding factors;
  1. Since most smaller gasser MH's are on the F-53 chassis and have the V10 motor, the drive train's among brands were mostly the same but the "J-Ride did offer a somewhat better driving experience IMO.
  2. Jayco's 2 year warranty was also a contributing factor since most only offer the standard 1 year coverage.
  3. Interior layout
  4. Features were plentiful in the Precept that were all extra in others; 5500 Gennie vs. 4500, 2 AC's, LED lighting throughout, GPS, tough wall compartments with lighting, Fiberglass roof, Tankless WH (though some hate it), Water compartment/controls, Convection Microwave, Slam shut compartment doors.....
Now some dislikes....
  1. Cheap carpet
  2. Bathroom door setup (bedroom accordion closure must be open to gain access to bathroom)
  3. Lack of LP quick connect for grills
Not many dislikes is there..... so that is why we went with the Precept.

In conclusion let me state that we have had some minor issues from the day we picked it up but our dealer has been great so far in taking care of these.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #17

I have a 2015 35UN and love it. I have some issues with the electric shutting off while going down the road but hope to get those fixed. Since May of 2015 Jayco has added extra quality control and hope the ones made now will be closely watched for minor problems
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFireman View Post
I have a 2015 35UN and love it. I have some issues with the electric shutting off while going down the road but hope to get those fixed. Since May of 2015 Jayco has added extra quality control and hope the ones made now will be closely watched for minor problems
I was experiencing the same problem with the genny shutting off while traveling. To my surprise, all that was needed was to have the oil level at max. Some other forum members have had the same problem and even found other causes, electric connection in AC was one, so I would recommend checking the oil level first.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
Old 08-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precept57 View Post
Thanks in advance
Do your homework Precept57. There will always be some things that need adjusted, modified or fixed......ON ANY BRAND YOU BUY. Remember, the only chassis being used for the Class A motorhome category is the Ford chassis. A lot of what you read on forums are the problems that people have and the recommendation for fixing those problems. Check the different categories for how people use their rigs and the fun they have. You wanted input on the Precepts so join us on the Precept Owners Group http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html
Put on your reading glasses and enjoy the education.
We have about 8600 miles on our 2015 31 UL we bought July, 2014.
We really appreciate the customer service Jayco offers on the phone and by email........great quick responses.
The 2 year warranty is huge......for some it takes the first year to use their unit and test the systems, with brand X their warranty is gone when they find a problem.
Remember, you are looking at entry level Class A gas units. Don't try to compare to the amenities of the diesel pushers.
Good luck with your search
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 PM   #20

The shade was not an option in the earlier Precepts. You may not have a 2015. The MCD shade was added, I believe, in 2014 and it is only the night shade. Contact MCDinnovations.com and look for the American Duo for the day night option.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote