Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #1

Dollie or tow package

Good morning

I have a jayco ur 29. I am fairly new with it. It is a 2016. I am unsure which way to go. A dolly or s tow package. I have a Jeep Rubicon that weighs around 4200 pounds.

I weighed my RV last week. It weighed 17,280 fully loaded with s full tank of gas and plenty of equipment plus wife. It has a 18000 lb limit. And is supposed to tow 5000 lbs. Or a total of 23000 total.

If any of you use a dolly. Pros or cons?.

Getting ready to go crazy next year and go to Alaska.

Thanks for the help
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #2

We chose a dolly behind our 2016 Alante to tow a Chevrolet Spark. We've about 3,500 miles of satisfactory "experience" with no mishaps. Cons might include the extra time it takes to up and download the toad. Not a big chore in good weather but I've had to load in a driving rainstorm.. No fun. And no reverse, period! I made an error pulling into a small gas station resulting in my offloading the Spark and unhitching the dolly. Don't want to do that again! The pros would include a very smooth and stable ride and no running up the car's odometer.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

We have a Precept 36UN, you a 36, it's a prototype, We use a Dolly so we can tow either of the 2 cars we have, makes it easier, Loading and unloading are no biggie at all, even storing the dolly at a campsite is no biggie, My dolly has folding wheel on the tongue making it very easy to maneuver around when doing it manually. When driving I don't know it's back there unless I activate my rear view camera. Every time I stop I check on the wheel nets to make sure all is secure, every now and then I had to tighten one of the nets a little.

Good luck!
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
Attached Images

nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Not every vehicle can be flat towed but if you can it takes about a minute to pull 2 pins to disconnect. When you get the hang of it about the same to connect. No dolly to back off of or stow. In my case when I flat tow it does not add miles to the odometer so check to see if yours does if that is deciding factor for you. Good luck
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #5

We set up our 2014 CRV to flat tow. We have the Blue Ox system and I love that there is no tow plate that shows on the car since it is also my daily driver. With flat tow, you cannot reverse so you have to plan ahead a bit. We have had no problems and my husband can't even feel the car behind. Tracks like a charm. It takes about 5-10 minutes to hook up (that includes the 3 minutes running the car in drive per owner manual) and less than 2 minutes to unhook. Very happy with the set up!
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #6

I hate my tow dolly

1 extra piece of equipment to maintain and store & extra time and trouble to hook and unhook on your knees - it works without a problem just an inconvenience

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:59 AM   #7

We flat tow our 2001 TJ Wrangler and 2017 Jeep Trailhawk miles don't add upon either vehicle. I have used a dolly for other cars and find flat towing much easier. Just make sure you follow all vehicle flat tow steps to ensure there is no mechanical damage. I blew a rear seal on the wrangler by leaving the transmission in neutral.
Coachhark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #8

We just made the trip from Tennessee to Alaska- our toad was on a dolly- no problems really- we figured out that universal straps were too big and rode against a shock, wore it in two. Other than that and it being very difficult to back up( can be done but not recommended) we are happy with the decision-

All in all- if my toad could have been flat towed I would have done that over the dolly, but it can't so I am content with my decision.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #9

If I had a rubicon I would be flat towing. I have three different cars that we can tow so it is a dolly for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #10

Check your manual for the Jeep. Most Wranglers, it is NOT recommended to use a dolly unless you disconnect the rear driveshaft. The rotation of the front driveshaft is the way the lube pump is driven for the transfer case. If you are spinning that gear set by the rear driveshaft turning, without the lube pump turning from the front driveshaft also turning, you run a good chance of burning up your transfer case.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

They have been very helpful.
Tarheel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 PM   #12
RWK

You cannot use a dolly on a Rubicon. Flat tow is best, but you could trailer the whole vehicle. Flat towing a Jeep is as easy as it gets. Two pins to the bars, a safety cable and a break cable (for us, California)
Shift your tranny into neutral, your 4x4 diff into neutral and then the tranny into park and you are set. The odometer doesn't come into play as its digital. There is no steering wheel lock so the key doesn't have to stay in the jeep either.
Once its disconnected you don't have to figure out what to do with your trailer.
You won't be sorry you set your jeep up, it tows like it isn't even there.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote