Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 03:45 PM   #1

Drop down bunk

We have a 15 Precept 31 UL. Bought it used, on a great deal, so we figured we could live without the drop down front bed option. But we would really like to have that. Had dealer contact Jayco and they said we could purchase bunk for $3875+ shipping. I know that is about the cost of the bunk as an option, but I consider it cost prohibitive. Is anyone out there aware of any other options? ie. aftermarket, salvage, etc.
Oldguy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #2

I don't know about a cheaper way to get one but I can say that the original install from the factory needs to be revamped. The side guide rails keep tearing out of the wall on our 2016 31UL ,both ends . We brought it back to the factory and they did a total new install with support behind the wall and many more screws to hold it in place as well as
larger screws. Now it behaves as it should. The service reps at the factory Jason & Justin did a great job fixing the drop down bed but if you have to deal with Scotty he is a pain.
wondermn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #3

We avoided this option because of it's price on our 17 Alante 31V. It's not something we would have used regularly, but would have used occasionally, but not for close to $4k.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #4

Good info

Thanks for both those reply's. I wonder if anyone else has had issues with the bunk tearing loose. Makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble. We take 5 or 6 grandkids with us sometimes, and are a little short on beds, so that's our motivation.
Oldguy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

Old guy, I have the perfect solution for you. Do you remember the old saying "2 is company, 3 is a crowd"? We have 11 grandchildren, so I know.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #6

Not tearing loose but jammed in the up position. It has been that way pretty much since our first outing. At the dealer now... hoping that it is repaired for good! Had it serviced by a dealer in AZ, they replaced a screw and said it was fixed. Lasted one day....
Preceptowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #7

Ours was installed incorrectly. The passenger side guide rail was not vertical and the driver side guide rail screws weren't screwed into anything solid. The good folks at Jayco warranty arranged for a third part RV shop to fix those.
The next time we tried to lower a week after leaving the shop we found it was jammed in the up position as Preceptowner described. We are taking it to Jayco in September to make it right. Additionally, the installation manual specifies that the bed must have two safety belts if it is installed in a moving vehicle. Ours has only one.
SherpaTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

The bunk guiderails on our Alante 31V are very loose as well. Not sure if we are going to have the dealer try to fix it or if my husband will see what he can do first. Overall we love the Alante, just a few minor issues but nothing to say I wish I didn't buy it :-)
delder63 is offline   Reply With Quote