Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Dually Tire Pressure

Hi Folks, Yesterday I had Valve Stem Extenders added to the Dually on my Precept 35UN, The pressure in the inside tires was 80lbs, the outside tires I kept at 100psi cold. The coach road very nicely when I started to keep 100 psi in the 4 tires I could get to, but let me tell you, with 100 psi in all the tires now the coach drives like a luxury sedan, I thought it drove well before, but this change made a HUGE difference. I am so looking forward to driving to Yellowstone from NJ next month! If you cannot get to your inner dually, get extenders, the difference is amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #2

Which extenders did you get and who put them in for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:47 AM   #3

I made an appointment at a Truck Service Center, they supplied the extenders and installation, not sure what brand they are, the one side they were able to install without taking the tire off, the other side the outside Dually had to be removed to install the extender. Call a local Truck tire service center, I am sure they can help you. I also just added a Tire Pressure Monitor System for 10 tires, 6 on the MH and 2 on Dolly and 2 for rear toad tires.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

Thanks so much nma33. When I originally called St. Lucie Tire and Battery, who had previously aligned the front end, they told me they don't install extenders for liability reasons!?!?!? I called again after your post and they said to bring it in. They will dismount and mount the two outside rims ($22/tire) and add the proper stems to the inside ones ($7 each). Think I'll do that and see if they can also finally straighten out the steering wheel which they tried twice before without success.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
I made an appointment at a Truck Service Center, they supplied the extenders and installation, not sure what brand they are, the one side they were able to install without taking the tire off, the other side the outside Dually had to be removed to install the extender. Call a local Truck tire service center, I am sure they can help you. I also just added a Tire Pressure Monitor System for 10 tires, 6 on the MH and 2 on Dolly and 2 for rear toad tires.
I've been looking at several TPMS systems and also need 10 transmitters (4 down on the Jeep that, although it has it's own system, I can't tell what the pressures are from the driver's location on the MH and 6 for the coach). Going back and forth and a little confused with all the options, flow through or not, etc. Been reading quite a lot on the forums but hasn't helped me decide yet. What did you decide on going with and main reason please? Thanks.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

TPMS EK215T10 Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I purchased it on Amazon, It was easy to set up, You can link or unlink your toad.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
Thanks so much nma33. When I originally called St. Lucie Tire and Battery, who had previously aligned the front end, they told me they don't install extenders for liability reasons!?!?!? I called again after your post and they said to bring it in. They will dismount and mount the two outside rims ($22/tire) and add the proper stems to the inside ones ($7 each). Think I'll do that and see if they can also finally straighten out the steering wheel which they tried twice before without success.
Some tire shops and truck centers will not install the valve extenders because of the liability that can be incurred due to the valve extenders leaking which obviously causes low air pressure on the inner dual tire which may in turn cause a blow out. There really isn't any reason to add the valve extenders all you need is an air chuck and gauge that has a long enough shaft to reach the valve. Both can be purchased at NAPA or on Amazon.
I had my tire shop add Alligator Valve Stem Caps on my inner dual tires so I don't have a valve stem cap to remove to check or fill air.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:29 AM   #8

Valve stem extenders are notorious for leaking and should never be installed in the absence of a reliable TPMS. . . . The way the duals were configured when my Precept was delivered, there was no type of air chuck that could access the inner tire's valve stem. You couldn't see the valve stem through any hole. Why Jayco thinks that is OK is a mystery.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #9

I think I'll take a drive over to St. Lucie Tire and see exactly what they're proposing in person before taking the MH there. I can barely see the inside tire stems through the hand holes on the Alcoa Rims. I have a long tire pressure monitor that, because of the angle, will not go onto the stem when going through the hand hole, and unless they're going to install a significantly longer one that I can connect to, I don't think it will solve anything. I think I'll also need to change the fitting on my compressor to a solid shaft one to access that stem as the flexible hose it currently has would not work in this case.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I had my tire shop add Alligator Valve Stem Caps on my inner dual tires so I don't have a valve stem cap to remove to check or fill air.
Beware the dreaded Alligator caps! They too leak when you least expect it. For your safety, and the safety of those sharing your road, remove these convenience devices.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palms View Post
I think I'll take a drive over to St. Lucie Tire and see exactly what they're proposing in person before taking the MH there. I can barely see the inside tire stems through the hand holes
Have them replace the short metal tube/valve with a long metal tube/valve. Also add the rubber donut to stabilize the longer tube. I converted my Viair air chuck from a press to inflate type to a clip on type. Much easier to add air with the clip on.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #12

I suggested that to them and they said they had to special order it and that I'd have to find the donut at a Truck or Chrome shop. I think I'll take it in next week and see what they can do. I already have a straight pressure gauge and by buying a straight air chuck, with a nipple I should be able to connect it to my compressor and away we go!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Beware the dreaded Alligator caps! They too leak when you least expect it. For your safety, and the safety of those sharing your road, remove these convenience devices.
They came highly recommended by the truck tire center that installed them. The manager there said they knew of no failures or leaks. He said they would never install any after market device with any history of failures or leaks. What factual basis do you have to your claim?
Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
What factual basis do you have to your claim?
Personal experience with them. Two leaked, one of which was on a steer wheel. I didn't have TPMS at the time, and when we stopped to refuel, I noticed a slight bulge in the tire indicating it was low. Sure enough, it was down to 73 psi (we started the day at 110). There is an O-ring in the Gator cap that can (and in my case, did) become distorted/torn. Too unsafe for my liking, with or without TPMS early warning. Threw all of them as far away as I could. The few extra seconds it takes to R&R a standard metal valve cap to check/adjust air is well worth it for non-leakage peace of mind.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #15

Once you have TPMS that continually keeps you apprised of what is going on, the next subject that comes up is to decide when pressures have gotten so far out of whack you have to do something. Like, in the case of the duals, just how much split between them, within a pair, is reasonable to tolerate? I've thought the answer to that is ~2 or 3 psi. Between the front tires I'm inclined to tolerate a ~5 psi split. But I have seen no expert guidance on this subject. Opinions?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #16

Tire pressue monitor sinders

Quote:
Some tire shops and truck centers will not install the valve extenders because of the liability that can be incurred due to the valve extenders leaking which obviously causes low air pressure on the inner dual tire which may in turn cause a blow out. There really isn't any reason to add the valve extenders all you need is an air chuck and gauge that has a long enough shaft to reach the valve. Both can be purchased at NAPA or on Amazon.
How do you install your tire pressure monitoring sending units to your inner dual valve stems? I use TireMinder's pressure monitoring system which requires these sensors to be screwed on to each valve stem.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #17

hikerjohn7, The easiest way is to install Valve Stem Extenders to the Dually. I did that on my 35S and had no problem with any leaks yet and the sensor works great.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #18

I used tire pressure equalizers for the rear
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
How do you install your tire pressure monitoring sending units to your inner dual valve stems? I use TireMinder's pressure monitoring system which requires these sensors to be screwed on to each valve stem.

I crawled under the coach. It was a little bit of a PITA but I've had to do worse.