Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #1

Energy Command 30

Last week I turned off battery disconnect. The switch went bad and fried the latching relay causing all sorts of issues
I replaced the latching relay and the switch along with at least 10 fuses throughout the coach.
The Generator fuses were fried as well. Now the display on the Energy Command 30 generator display is lit but shows no letters or numbers. Does anyone know if there could be another fuse for the display I have not found or something more sinister
All of this is in a 2008 Seneca HD 35GS
Landseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #2

We have the same one and no real problems yet. Did learn that the display overlay is actually magnetic and didn't really need to be super glued, lol.

From the Onan Operator and Installation manual;
OEM Supplied Equipment
2 or 3.5A DC Inline Fuses

The manual name is Energy Command 30 and can easily be found with a Google search.
And the last few pages are full of wiring diagrams. But where did the OEM (Jayco) put the fuse(s), that's the million dollar question, lol.

Good luck!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I sent the question about where the fuses/wiring are located to Jayco. Hopefully they will provide the detailed wiring drawing for the genset to coach.
After this experience I am thinking of naming the Seneca "Money Pit". Probably wont though for fear of hurting her feelings. Up to now it has been great.
We completly updated the interior with new wallcoverings, flooring and installed additional rear leaf spring.
Best RV of the three we have owned previously. This one is the first pre-owned one we have had.
All in all less issues than with new ones.
I will let you know what I find out
I look forward to getting back on the road.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Please let us know if you get the Jayco EC30 to Genset wiring drawing and if we can get a copy from you for future reference.
Let us know where you actually find the fuse(s) too, thanks!

We just named ours after owing it for several months to Lucy.
Makes sense I guess since my wife always has something to say about the amount of time I spend with "her", lol!
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...eca-40363.html
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

Well I sent the panel to Cummins Onan in Elkhart and they were able to test it and determined one of the circuit boards was fried.
They sent a new board and installed. Just need to program yhe new board.
Jayco also said it sounded like the board was bed. Jayco is unable to tell me whaere the three fuses for the EC30 are located other than they should be located near both the coach amd chassis batteries.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #6

As for the wiring diagram, you can search online for the insatllation and operators manual. It contains all the wiring diagram for the various gensets that are supported by the EC30. You can also find the manuals on the Cummins Onan website.
The folks at Cummins Onan in Elkhart are the best and very helpful. Gave me a great price on the new control
Old 10-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #7

I am having exactly the same problem, and I have a call in to Cummins Onan Tech Support for two days, no answer. The backlight is on, but no text is displayed. Did they replace your board at no charge?
I have had no such problem with the battery disconnect, relays, or fuses. I have no idea why the text is no longer displayed.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #8

My display was lighted and no text. I sent it to Onan in Elkhart after no help from Jayco.I had to buy a new panel only becuase there was a fried board in the panel. I was $141 including freight from CumminsOnan in Elkhart Indiana. If you call them at 574 262 4611 and tell them the issue, they will probably connect you to Grover. He can walk you through it and hook you up. I can tell you that everyone else I spoke to was a LOT more money.
My unit is a 2008 Seneca 35GS
Good luck
Old 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseal View Post
My display was lighted and no text. I sent it to Onan in Elkhart after no help from Jayco.I had to buy a new panel only becuase there was a fried board in the panel. I was $141 including freight from CumminsOnan in Elkhart Indiana. If you call them at 574 262 4611 and tell them the issue, they will probably connect you to Grover. He can walk you through it and hook you up. I can tell you that everyone else I spoke to was a LOT more money.
My unit is a 2008 Seneca 35GS
Good luck
Thanks. Yes, that's my same exact problem. Backlight works fine. Manual switch works fine. Little led light in the center of the start/stop switch works fine. Voltage at all the proper wires in the connector. So, no blown fuses. You're right. $141 is way better. I have seen them in one place so far for $272, plus shipping and any possible taxes.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

After nearly three months of searching and repair, we finally resoved all of the issues caused by the failure of the $3.64 battery disconnect switch. There were at least 15 fuses blown along with our EC 30 panel as I mentioned before.
I was able to get everything working except the EC30 which I hd to replace. I finnaly broe down and took the Seneca to Cummins Onan in White Bear Lake Minnesota which was the closest to me. While there I had them service the genset and asked them to program the new EC30. As it turns out there was one wire near the battery disconnect latching relay that was not connected in the correct place. these guys were the best and got everything fixed. I had a cracked coolant bottle on the genset, which was $83. Total parts were $185 bucks and the total bill with labor was $918.
The wire that was misconnected was in the proper place according to the Jayco wiring diagram, but was not allowing the EC 30 to receive data from the chassis side of the circuits and also not supplying enough power to the EC 30 panel so the bottom line of the panel was not showing text. This would not allow the panel to be programmed.
Just finished a 2500 mile circuitous trip from Minnesota to Florida and we cannot be happier.
Lesson learned... Jayco was somewhat helpful, but did not know the location of the aux start solenoid or the 3 fuses connected to it, that protect the EC30. Cummins Onan in Elkhart was great as was Cumminns Onan in Minnesota
Expensive lesson but I learned a LOT