Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #1

Five Star tune problem - failed to upload RV tune

Bought a Five Star tuner for my 2016 35S several weeks back and tried to upload the popular 87 octane RV engine tune firmware. The upload failed and since it was a weekend I put off the next trial until several days later.

Tried again and had the same failure to upload so called the manufacturers technical service division. The device is made by SCT, same people who make the Bully Dog series of engine tuners. The telephone tech service is actually located in Sanford, FL., about five miles from our campground, unfortunately they don't make house calls.

After 90 minutes on the phone and several upload failures the tech downloaded all the data from my tuner and sent it to SCT engineering for analysis. It's been over a week and no word from SCT so looks like I will have to call them for an update.

The reason for this lengthy story- has anyone else encountered an upload failure? Fail code is 110D8.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:17 AM   #2

I uploaded 5 star for my 2015 5 speed tranny two weeks ago, I did not get a failed upload message, But mine is the 5 speed, not sure if there are issues with the 6 speed version. Good luck, let us know how you make out. Is the original tuning still on the coach?

Nick
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #3

Success

After talking to DeRive (SCT customer support) again yesterday with no success I called Five Star and talked to them. After explaining the issue they asked a few questions and within 6 hours I had a custom tune emailed to me.

Installed it this morning and all went well. I won't know how well it works until March 3 when I take the MH in to have the Safe-t-Plus steering stabilizer installed. Our next snowbird trip leg will be March 11, about 5 hours so I should have a good idea by the end of that day how well things worked.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

nma33, what did you think of the 5 star tune? I also have a 5 speed 2015 (chassis built in April 2014). It made a dramatic improvement in my opinion: Notably more power on acceleration, smoother shifts, and better cruise control performance. While it was expensive, I conclude that is was well worth it.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #5

I will let you knowhow I make out in a month, taking her on a 1300 mile round trip to and from Jayco. I am looking forward to seeing the difference, I have read nothing but great stuff about it, especially for the 5 speed. I will be towing from NJ to IN so there are some smaller mountains involved on the PA turnpike. cannot wait!
Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

I still for the life of me can't figure out why Ford wouldn't program the ECU similar to the 5 Star Tune right out of the gate, or at the very least as part of a motorhome prep package all the dealers probably take.

I just can't help but think I'm missing something important.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

My guess would be that it's all about pollution control. The 5 star tune probably generates a bit more pollution which is really rather pointless on these gas hogs anyway.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

It the 5star tune lives up to half the claims I will be happy, Well worth the 470 or so it costs.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #9

I'll find out soon

Taking my 35S out on the 10th to get the steering stabilizer installed, hopefully I can see some difference in this 30 mile trip. If not we have a 300 mile trip on the 11th where I hope to notice a difference.

Ford ships the F53 chassis' out as fast as McDonalds does hamburgers. Like Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it is black. Same with the F53. The manufacturers specify the payload and get a generic frame, engine and motor from Ford. I doubt Ford sees any $ benefit to altering the ECU operating system for a few RV'ers.

Nick
Old 03-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

I did a day of obsessing over this tune thing. And it all sounds great and I was so close to hitting the purchase button. But I just can't get over the warranty aspect - it would just be my luck to throw a rod or something and end up totally out of pocket to fix it after Ford sees I screwed around. Even if you flash back to stock, they can still see something 'changed', from what I've read.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

Anything is possible I guess

I did the same thing with a Bully Dog GT for my Ford 6.7 diesel, bought it and never installed it for the same reason as you. The 6.7 had only been out 2 years and I had visions of a runaway diesel meltdown. I still have it at home and will eBay it when I get back later in the spring.

In this case, the 6.8 V10 has a proven track record as a fairly solid engine design so I am more comfortable altering the tune. In my mind I think the improved transmission shift points will be the sweet spot for me, I don't expect any milage improvement but if so I'll be happy. My concern is minimizing the engine rpm going uphill so a bit of added torque and altered shift points would be in my favor. Guess I'll find out in March as we head northwest to Carabelle, Fl and then east to Myrtle Beach.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:21 PM   #12

I'm interested in it too for the more tame shift pattern.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #13

The dealership would need to prove that the tuner caused the failure to void your warranty. Even then they can't void your entire warranty only the warranty on the part the tuner caused to fail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act
Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #14

Well the dealership can claim the tuner caused a failure. I could argue it didn't. However when push comes to shove Ford has a lot more lawyers then I do !!!

I'm not joking when I had all the info in the webform to purchase the tune. I know as soon as I got a check engine light for something or another I'd be stressing about how screwed I was about to be.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #15

First trip with Five Star RV tune

Drove about 300 miles yesterday, first trip after installing Five Star RV tune. First 50 miles or so was mostly stop and go, many red lights. I was not impressed initially as the tranny would not shift up to the next gear until reaching specific speeds. Can't tell what gear the transmission is using but it feels like it won't hit 6th until after 55 mph. Tranny would also downshift when slowing for red lights.

After getting out of traffic it seemed like acceleration was a tiny bit quicker, especially merging on the interstate.

Slightest incline forced a downshift from 6th to 5th, can't see any improvement there. Had only a couple of inclines requiring 4th gear but tranny shifted up to 5th and 6th at the top of the incline, no hesitation to upshift.

I remain a tiny bit skeptical since the original 87 octane tune failed to load in my ecu. SCT generated a new tune quickly that worked but leaves me wondering what was different and they refuse to tell me. It has been about 60 days between driving with the stock Ford tune and Five Star so I'm sure that is part of my skepticism, my expectations may have been too high.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #16

I'm wondering if the positives are somewhat less for the 6 speed over the 5 speed. That extra gear you have is a HUGE bonus compared to those of us w/ the 5 speed.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #17

At 60 mph I'm running just over 2000 rpm with 5.38 gears in the rear axle. Wish it were down around 1800 rpm. What rpm do you have at 60?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #18

Can't remember - I know at 65 I'm pulling 2400-2500 RPMs.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #19

Yep, another gear would help tremendously. At 65 I'm about 2200.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #20

Now I'm wondering exactly where I am 65mph. I'll pay attention next time and let you know.