Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #1

Flat Screen tv's and cable

We bought a 2016 35UP Precept that comes with 3 Seiki flat screen tv's. We are on the move weekly and have had 3 occasions to use rv park supplied cable. Each time we were not able to connect cable through the the internal wiring of the Precept. I did not think much of it because we were not in these locations for cable tv. However, we are Ft. Wilderness in DisneyWorld with our grandson for a week and the cable tv would be a great help, so I pushed a bit and got some great help from a Disney supplied cable and communications on site guy. He verified that cable came to our site and even verified that cable was coming through our wiring. Then he saw the tv name and told us that Seiki was the one manufacturer that outside cable service would not work on. He suggested we get a cable box, but that did not work either. Are there any others out in Jayco world that have experienced this and do y'all have any options short of changing to Vizio tv's?
Joe0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Just to prove/ disapprove this idea I would take another (known to work) small home tv outside and plug it up. If its true I'd be raising cain with the dealer, make him replace, or buy these units back. Maybe, maybe not, it's worth the try.

Is that Foley, AL? I was there this past weekend (friends beach house). Oops, Fairhope, almost the same.
Attached Thumbnails
20170108_124545.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

It all depends on what format (Mp3 or Mp4) the cable company is supplying. All TVs will usually work on Mp3, but the older sets will not work on Mp4. Disney is running Mp4.

As to the DISNEY converter box, you should not have had a problem since it connects to your RF connection and the TV should have been on channel 3 or 4 just like the original off air digital converters. If you had it set up that way they may have given you a defective converter.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #4

Antenna power injector aka "booster"

When you tried the cable did you press the power button on the King power injector? You have to do that to switch the tv input from over the air antenna to cable? The power injector also commonly called the "booster" does 2 things.

1. It supplies 12 volts D.C. to your tv antenna amplifier to "boost" the over the air signal strength.

2. It also provides a switch to enable the user to switch between over the air reception and cable reception.

Your Seiki tv's are probably identical to mine and I stream Netflix to my main tv in the living area/kitchen. The Seiki uses rf signals from the cable or over the air, it doesn't care where it comes from. You WILL need to tell the tv to rescan when switching from over the air to cable. My booster is located under the kitchen counter with the DVD player, at the far back of the DVD compartment. Should have a green light and push button for on/off. When the light is green you are sending 12v to the antenna. No light means you are set up for cable input.

Hope this helps. I'm in Sanford, about 40 miles north of Ft. Wilderness campground.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #5

Have you switched from the over the air antenna to cable? There is a button (switch) above the dinette in the cabinet. It is on the right side mounted on the inside of the cabinet near the dvd player. We had difficulty using cable at campgrounds until we realized the need to switch from antenna to cable. We also have a 35 UP.
greenfield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #6

i had the same problem hooked up my direct tv to the outside jack could not get a signal in side so i removed the black coax wire from the stupid jack and wired it to a separate two way splitter for antenna and one for the direct tv,works great now
charles47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #7

Seiki TV

Current Seiki TV,s do not have QAM tuning capabilities that many of the cable providers still distribute in places like RV parks. A few of the parks we have stayed in have offered tuner boxes to check out and we have had good results with cable and even better if we could use HDMI.
TomNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #8

4K uhd?

I think it's simply amazing they try to sway buyers by offering a 4K uhd tv in the kitchen but none of the tv's are smart tv's, what a joke. A cheap visio will have a better receiver and provide for an internet connection at the same time.