Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Generator Oil Change While On A Trip

Other than DIY, any tips or tricks on the best way to get your generator oil/air filter changed while on an extended road trip?

Thank you!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Almost any RV dealer can preform service on your generator. Many require an appointment in advance. Perhaps when you have your steps serviced Monday, they would be able to service your generator.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #3

Generator Oil Change

Push comes to shove, DIY

Don
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:28 PM   #4

Put Amsoil in it and forget it for quite a while.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #5

X2 on the Amsoil. Or as a friend does with his Motorcycle is to go to a Wal mart, get the oil, a cheap funnel and a turkey roasting disposable pan, and the oil filter. Then in the WM parking lot he changes the oil, pours the old oil back into the oil cans, then walk's it over to the recycling are and gets rid of it all.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #6

Even if you are not a DIY type personality and have plenty of time/money to have others work on your rig (and there is absolutely NO SHAME in that!), the oil change on this generator has to be the easiest thing I have ever done.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #7

Note on the Amsoil to make my previous comment at least a little helpful to McGarret50: Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
This article explains the oil viscosity grades. Yes, it is Amsoil propaganda, but the truth is that Amsoil is one of the few group 4 PAO based synthetics that does not have oil-sludge producing viscosity additives. It is so good that in mild climates and using their oil filter, they guarantee 25,000 miles between oil changes on your car! They recommend 15,000 miles in severe conditions (which are rigs qualify) and they recommend 10,000 if using any other oil filter. I use Amsoil 5W-20 in my Precept 29UM and Motorcycle Synthetic 10W-40 in my Onan 5500 watt generator. Onan says to change oil every 150 hours. My expert mechanic crew chief has been using Amsoil for years in race bikes where he routinely breaks down and freshens the motors. He swears by it. He told me don't worry about changing the oil for an entire season! And that's what I'm doing and I boondock a lot at tracks. BTW, I only buy Amsoil for my personal use. I am not a dealer and have no financial interest in the company, just a consumer like everyone else. So use Amsoil (they actually have a small engine branded oil as well but I always have a case of motorcycle oil in my garage) either 10W-40 or 10W-30 with your next oil change, go on as long of a trip as you desire, and if you must change it when you get home.....200, 300, 400, 500 hours later.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #8

Good discussion Cycledoc675. Here is an great (but detailed) explanation about oil that is often quoted from another forum that I previously was active on:

FerrariChat.com - FAQ: Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas (AEHaas)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

I did a gen oil change today. It went pretty smooth. The oil drain valve was very easy to use. I put my oil pain on an upside down 5 gallon bucket and was the perfect height. I found an equivalent filter at NAPA for $14. Removing the old filter was the only hang up. It was hard to find a tool to remove it with the small amount hanging below the generator. I ultimately had to use the tool pictured below. Refilling the gen with oil was a bit of a pain. I used Royal Purple 15W-40. You can only add small amount of oil at a time or it overflows. So go very slow and add a small bit at a time. No reason to overfill. The whole process could be completed in less than 20 minutes if I hadn't had to run to PepBoys to get the new oil filter wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5663.JPG  
Old 07-24-2015, 04:45 AM   #10

I have the Onan 5500 and have two comments:

The oil filter is very easy to get out with a filter wrench that slips over the exposed end of the filter and attaches to a ratchet with a 6" or so extension. Without this type of filter wrench it is a real bear to get out. I don't have positive confirmation of this, but I have been told the Onan brand filters have an internal bypass that allows oil to continue to flow even as the filter becomes clogged and that aftermarket filters do not have this feature. Again, not sure about this, but I use Onan brand filters just to be safe.

Adding the required two quarts of oil is slow, but.....The first quart goes in fine and about half of the second. Then a little trick I use for that last 1/2 quart is to put in a little, screw the oil cap/dip stick back in, bump the starter, remove cap/dip stick and add a little more, repeat until the second quart is in. This really speeds up the last 1/2 quart.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #11

edatlanta - good advice that I'll try next time! With regard to the filter wrench, neither the local PepBoys or AutoZone had the correct filter wrench size in stock (I assumed it must be a non standard size) so I had to use the above tool.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

AugerN, locate a Cummins dealer. They make the Onan generator, have parts and service them. I bought a filter wrench from our Cummins dealer. It is a cup that fits the filter exactly and simplifies the removal of the filter.
I like edatalanta's advice on "burping" the engine with the starter button. He's right, that last 1/2 quart goes in realllllll slow.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerN View Post
edatlanta - good advice that I'll try next time! With regard to the filter wrench, neither the local PepBoys or AutoZone had the correct filter wrench size in stock (I assumed it must be a non standard size) so I had to use the above tool.
My home base is in a very small town (not even a McDonald's), but we do have a NAPA store. They ordered it for me. I don't remember the size.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&MAKAFUN View Post
AugerN, locate a Cummins dealer. They make the Onan generator, have parts and service them. I bought a filter wrench from our Cummins dealer. It is a cup that fits the filter exactly and simplifies the removal of the filter.
I like edatalanta's advice on "burping" the engine with the starter button. He's right, that last 1/2 quart goes in realllllll slow.
Just don't forget to put the dipstick back in when burping or the burp reminds you of burping a small child and what happens frequently.

Don't ask me how I know this!

Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #15

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........Ed, thank you. It's always the little things...dotting i's and crossing t's that I miss.
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
Just don't forget to put the dipstick back in when burping or the burp reminds you of burping a small child and what happens frequently.

Don't ask me how I know this!
Oh how I wished I had paid more attention to your post Ed! Otherwise, a very easy job.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:36 AM   #17

A strap wrench won't work on removing the filter?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #18

Ric, the filter is recessed in the frame work, can't get a bite on it with a strap wrench. Read from the beginning of this thread. There are several comments on how/where to obtain a cup wrench that fits exactly.
Welcome to the Precept Owners Group.
Darrell
Roadmaster base plate
Old 08-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #19

Ended up have Cummins do the oil & filter change at their service center in Milwaukee. Also had them clean the spark arrestor (which is recommended in the owners manual).

Yes, I paid a lot more than if I did it myself.

Two interesting findings in my search to have this service work performed while in transit:

1. The number of RV dealers who say they don't change generator oil (along with the ones who say they can't schedule an appt because they are so backed up)
2. The Cummins tech said you should run the generator a minimum of 2 hours per month with load (a little more than our delivery walk thru told us to do).
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote