Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #1

Generator on Precept

I drove my new Precept home today and he generator stopped by itself. I left it running while I got fuel and after it stopped at some point. Could unscrewing the gas cap do this? There was pressure on it when I opened it.
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

My genny would stop running while moving when I first got the motorhome. I have a lot of experience with small air cooled engines so figured it had an "oil sentry" device that shut it down if oil level was too low. I started watching it and sure enough, it was shutting down when I turned corners and the oil would slop to one side of the pan thereby triggering the low level switch.

I checked the oil level and found the factory had filled it just barely to the full line. I added a little more oil and it has not shut down since while driving.

It sounds like your problem may be the same - needs a little more oil in the genny.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
My genny would stop running while moving when I first got the motorhome. I have a lot of experience with small air cooled engines so figured it had an "oil sentry" device that shut it down if oil level was too low. I started watching it and sure enough, it was shutting down when I turned corners and the oil would slop to one side of the pan thereby triggering the low level switch.

I checked the oil level and found the factory had filled it just barely to the full line. I added a little more oil and it has not shut down since while driving.

It sounds like your problem may be the same - needs a little more oil in the genny.
Good call...

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

Same thing with both the generators in our 31ul and 35un. They both would shut down at stops, corners etc. Checked oil and was only slightly below full. Topped off to full and keep it there. No more problems so far.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

Happened to me after topping the hill to find interstate traffic at a stand still, resulting in the need to brake hard to a stop. Since then, changed oil and filter (Amsoil motorcycle oil 10W-40) and no problems since.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #6

What is the best oil to use for the generator?
Newbie31UL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 AM   #7

If you pull the cover off your genny you will see a tag with various info printed on it. There are 3 or 4 temp ranges and oil weights for each. For me, I topped the unit off when new with 10W40 (I figure the factory fill is 10W30 but I had some 10W40 at home so I used that for top off) but I will go to straight 30W when I do the first service as the average daily temperature around here would be in that category.

If you ask what brand name of oil to use you will start a war on this forum! Since the gennys are Onan brand, just buy some of that brand when you pick up a new filter. It will be blended to Onan's specs and will serve you fine. If you decide to buy another brand of oil, just remember you are dealing with an air cooled single cylinder engine.

Your RV dealership will have Onan brand or be able to tell you where you can find it. Any motorcycle shop will have oils that will be good in this application. In fact, any major brand of motor oil will do the job with no problems. The important thing is to select the proper weight from the chart on your genny for the temp range you will operate in.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote