Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Girard Water Heater tried to light/ no water

I'm out washing the Precept and turn coach power on to bring the awning in and the water heater is trying to light! It's parked in the driveway with no water connected so no water flow. It's an On Demand system so this makes no sense. Any ideas?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

If it was very cold , it could be the the water heater was firing up
to prevent freezing.
If the switch was on inside unit it will do that.
At least in our 31 D/S
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiedog View Post
If it was very cold , it could be the the water heater was firing up
to prevent freezing.
If the switch was on inside unit it will do that.
At least in our 31 D/S
No, it's an On Demand system, that means it lights when water flows and only lights when water flows.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:17 PM   #4

Just checked our Manual from Girard
it does light up briefly when very cold ,under 38 degrees
to prevent freezing.
Only did it once due to our mild winter
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

It's 62 here.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
No, it's an On Demand system, that means it lights when water flows and only lights when water flows.
Not fully true. While yes it lights when there is water flow, it also has a safety system built into it to fire the burners momentarily when it is cold outside. This is to prevent the system from freezing and breaking. If you open the cover to the water heater, there will be a switch in the middle left area. If that switch is on then the system has power (the red light on the panel will also be on if this is the case) and will fire automatically when it thinks it is in a possible freezing condition. When you winterize, you want to turn that switch off as well as open the drain valve which for me is in the bottom of the compartment just to the left of the heater...for me this is the generator, but for you it could be somewhere else. Close the valve after all the water is out so you when you add the pink stuff, it wont all come out there. Make sure that the switch is off whenever their is pink stuff in the lines as it is not designed to be heated. Also make sure that you dewinterize, that you run water through the hot loop to get all the pink out before you turn the switch back on.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
Not fully true. While yes it lights when there is water flow, it also has a safety system built into it to fire the burners momentarily when it is cold outside. This is to prevent the system from freezing and breaking. If you open the cover to the water heater, there will be a switch in the middle left area. If that switch is on then the system has power (the red light on the panel will also be on if this is the case) and will fire automatically when it thinks it is in a possible freezing condition. When you winterize, you want to turn that switch off as well as open the drain valve which for me is in the bottom of the compartment just to the left of the heater...for me this is the generator, but for you it could be somewhere else. Close the valve after all the water is out so you when you add the pink stuff, it wont all come out there. Make sure that the switch is off whenever their is pink stuff in the lines as it is not designed to be heated. Also make sure that you dewinterize, that you run water through the hot loop to get all the pink out before you turn the switch back on.
Yes, thank you. I've done all that and have dewinterized and used the system so what happened today is still a mystery. A new twist here my wife says it starts to light when she flushes the toilet some times (rarely).