Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #1

Handling question?

Is there anything on the market that helps a Class A drive better in windy conditions?

I'm running 100lbs pressure in the tires, safe t steer, rear trac bar, CHF done....

Still when on the freeway and a semi passes me or a slight gust, scares the crap out of me.

Any tips on driving techniques, or suspension mods?

Thanks
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #2

I guess because nobody has answered your question, there is not much you can do.

I found the most important thing is to relax behind the wheel and be aware of your surroundings. Check the mirrors frequently be prepared of crosswinds (gusts) and semis trying to pass you. You have a big surface, the wind is pushing, lots of force. As more relaxed and aware you are as more you can apply measures to correct your rig.
There are does guys (CLASS Suspension System from LiquidSpring) but again you are putting money into a problem that is not really a problem with your rig. You did what most of us did with mods to get a smoother ride. Unless you are driving a big diesel pusher you always have some swaying.
Get a new pair of underwear, relax behind the wheel and enjoy your rig.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

Hard to tell. You will spend yourself into oblivion trying to eliminate all effects of a semi blowing past you and the resulting corrections you have to make behind the wheel. But is that inevitable, or an effect of the vehicle's deficiency? Likely most of it is inevitable. Can you affect your vehicle's handling characteristics by adding aftermarket aids? Of course. The question is where you run out of either results or money. RVs are essentially billboards hauling down the highway at speed, and are going to be very responsive to changes in wind direction and pressure, especially with the force it has coming from a speeding semi rig. Just keep your speed reasonable and learn to anticipate what is likely to happen, and you ought to be fine.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
I guess because nobody has answered your question, there is not much you can do.

I found the most important thing is to relax behind the wheel and be aware of your surroundings. Check the mirrors frequently be prepared of crosswinds (gusts) and semis trying to pass you. You have a big surface, the wind is pushing, lots of force. As more relaxed and aware you are as more you can apply measures to correct your rig.
There are does guys (CLASS Suspension System from LiquidSpring) but again you are putting money into a problem that is not really a problem with your rig. You did what most of us did with mods to get a smoother ride. Unless you are driving a big diesel pusher you always have some swaying.
Get a new pair of underwear, relax behind the wheel and enjoy your rig.

Love it, Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Hard to tell. You will spend yourself into oblivion trying to eliminate all effects of a semi blowing past you and the resulting corrections you have to make behind the wheel. But is that inevitable, or an effect of the vehicle's deficiency? Likely most of it is inevitable. Can you affect your vehicle's handling characteristics by adding aftermarket aids? Of course. The question is where you run out of either results or money. RVs are essentially billboards hauling down the highway at speed, and are going to be very responsive to changes in wind direction and pressure, especially with the force it has coming from a speeding semi rig. Just keep your speed reasonable and learn to anticipate what is likely to happen, and you ought to be fine.
I hear you, I was just hoping I'm missing something obvious. I have learned the more relaxed I am, the better it goes. I try to fight it a little less now.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #5

Do Class A's use a leaf spring and solid axle in the rear? If so, could you throw a set of Timbrens on? It couldn't hurt and isn't expensive.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
RWK

We dumped money into ours, the upgrades did help the ride and the roadmaster steering helped. The bottom line is its an 18 to 23 thousand pound coach being passed at speed by an 80 thousand pound semi, you are going to move. Watch your mirrors so you aren't surprised when you are passed. There was a lot of good advice above. Relax you'll get used to how it moves and sways and finally enjoy the moments on the road.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #7

You've already done the most important thing (Safe-T-Plus) as far as control goes. It helps some with lateral wind force, but can save your life if a front tire blows.

The rest, well, keep the speed down, maintain proper tire pressure, watch for weather changes and passing semis, and relax!

Don't spend a bunch of money fixing a problem that might not exist... drive it, get used to it, and did I say... relax!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:07 AM   #8

I was surprised at how much wind and semis pushed our Alante off its line. After adjusting tire pressure from the recommended 85 psi to 92-95 psi and doing the chf, the issue is mostly corrected. I still have a RM Steering Stabilizer to install but that is the only $ I will spend to fix an issue that will never completely go away, as others indicated. I found watching your mirrors for semis coming up is a huge benefit so you are not surprised and can be ready for the inevitable push.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:21 AM   #9

Have your tires been replaced? My friend has a class C and when Ford put new tires on it it handled like crap. They had to remove them and put on a different brand.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #10

If you load your rig very heavy on the rear end, it'll unload the front axle and make handling/stability problematic. Food for thought.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutCole'd View Post
Is there anything on the market that helps a Class A drive better in windy conditions?
I'm running 100lbs pressure in the tires, safe t steer, rear trac bar, CHF done....
Still when on the freeway and a semi passes me or a slight gust, scares the crap out of me.
Any tips on driving techniques, or suspension mods?
Thanks
I'm not familiar with your vehicle or tires, but I have a question regarding tire pressure: Is 100psi the max shown on the tire sidewalls? I assume it is. If it's not, begin by inflating to that maximum. Then try reducing the front tire pressure by 5psi and see how that works. I wouldn't suggest reducing the fronts by any more than 10psi below the rear tires.

Why? I had an entirely different vehicle (used class B) with a rebuilt front suspension, new shocks, and new load range E tires. Until I lowered the pressure in the front tires (75psi down from 80psi), the handling was 'twitchy' (too quick to respond to steering changes) and uncomfortable to drive. Dropping the front tire pressure relaxed the abrupt steering response just enough to make it a pleasure to drive.

I didn't catch if anyone mentioned being aware of the prevailing winds. If the prevailing wind is from the left and you are being passed on the left by a big truck, his 'wind' will push you hard to the right, then the wind 'shadow' will 'suck' you to the left, then when the truck has mostly gone by, the prevailing wind will push you to the right.

I hope that made sense and it's helpful.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote