Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert66r View Post
Yes I did they told me to take it back to Orlando rv

I've taken my 2017 31UL to camping worlds in both Hanover PA, and Summerfield Florida for warranty work.
The Summerfield (Ocala ) is not very far from Georgetown.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert66r View Post
Yes I did they told me to take it back to Orlando rv
That is one reason why JAYCO pushes "buy local". As has been discussed numerous times, RV dealers are not franchised like auto dealers, if you did not buy from them they are under no obligation to do warranty work for you. With that said some will and some won't and a lot depends on how busy they are, their customers come first.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That is one reason why JAYCO pushes "buy local". As has been discussed numerous times, RV dealers are not franchised like auto dealers, if you did not buy from them they are under no obligation to do warranty work for you. With that said some will and some won't and a lot depends on how busy they are, their customers come first.
When I called my dealer the end of October to schedule warranty work they were booked into early January already. When I dropped off the end of February they were currently booking mid-June. So yes, dealers can't keep up servicing their own customers and why many turn down warranty work on campers from other dealers. It's a chance you take when not buying locally.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
A perfectly good reason to seek out a local dealer rather than shopping 500 bucks all around the US. Dealers out of your service area are not likely to be applying their resources for warranty work on your RV, so why would they bother calculating that cost into the sell price if you're 1000 miles away and not likely to depend upon them? Warranty service is not reimbursed at rates that allow a dealer to make much of a profit on that effort, if any. They are often viewed as a necessary evil, and a dealer is a business like any other. When he is committing significant resources to non-profitable activities, he's actually losing money, and the risk becomes far greater than any reward. If he's also not getting your original purchase business, what's his incentive to push your warranty service job to the front of the list? So you can file a lawsuit or automotive repair bureau claim when you're not happy with his work? I think sometimes as consumers, we incentivise our suppliers and local businessmen to provide crappy service and skip doing things the right way in favor of doing things the fast way or the cheap way. If we're always choosing the lowest bidder, then expecting to be treated like a VIP customer, are we being realistic?
Old 06-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #45

Just another perspective:

Was in MD, when we decided to pull trigger on 2017 31UL.
No MD Precept dealer. And we were moving to Florida within a few months anyway.
Best deal in Albany NY at RVOne. We saved over $10K by picking up rig in NY.

Since then, Jayco has approved warranty work for a Ford dealer in PA. A camping world in PA, and in Ocala Florida, a mobile RV repairman in Florida, and Ford dealer in Leesburg Fla.

Odds are I won't be close to the dealer when something happens. The 2 year warranty, a cooperative manufacturer, and a Good Sam membership, has made working the kinks out of this new rig relatively painless.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #46

Jayco understandably encourages their customers to buy from a local dealer but, in our case also, purchase of our Precept 1000 miles away saved us $10,000. Surely Jayco wouldn't expect us to spend that level of premium for the privilege of buying local. Besides, it is reasonable for us to go to Middlebury from here. There are many different KINDS of service that may be needed, and some of them I wouldn't trust to a local dealer. They just don't see enough Precepts to have the required expertise on staff.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
Just another perspective:

Was in MD, when we decided to pull trigger on 2017 31UL.
No MD Precept dealer. And we were moving to Florida within a few months anyway.
Best deal in Albany NY at RVOne. We saved over $10K by picking up rig in NY.

Since then, Jayco has approved warranty work for a Ford dealer in PA. A camping world in PA, and in Ocala Florida, a mobile RV repairman in Florida, and Ford dealer in Leesburg Fla.

Odds are I won't be close to the dealer when something happens. The 2 year warranty, a cooperative manufacturer, and a Good Sam membership, has made working the kinks out of this new rig relatively painless.
I think when you purchase a Motorhome you have a chassis/powertrain warranty and it's likely that the Ford dealer is going to be the one to do the work (or the chassis manufacturer) so a lot more options in that perspective... but when you have a issue with your refriderator or a slide problem... Ford is not going to be doing that repair for most of us.... thats going to be your Jayco dealer or independent repair shop. 10K is a lot of money and certainly that has to factor into a buyers perspective... but some of these people who say they would travel thousands of miles to save 1K over buying local are missing the bigger picture and frankly deserve to be put at the back of the line.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #48

It was our experience with previous MH, 2014 Melbourne 29D, that the local Jayco dealer was not prepared to do the service work on the more complex things that are likely to fail. Refrigerator, A/C, furnace, WH, generator, electronics, body work, routine service of the (Ford) chassis, etc. They simply don't have qualified technicians on staff. And why would they? The only reason I can think of is to provide a higher level of customer service. But at considerable cost, which they may not be able to recoup.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #49

Getting back to the OP.

I guess I tend to agree with others and possibly the replies from the dealer and manufacturer's with what information we have. But hear me out.

From Ford's perspective. They warranty the chassis. You have a warranty claim with them because of the lean/stability. Well they are saying the warranty is void because Jayco modified the chassis. I hear what you are saying but truth be told it isn't exactly that cut and dry. Look at it from their shoes. They build a product. Said product is modified and there is a problem. Ok they address it under warranty but the modified parts are not ones they put on the chassis when it left the factory. Heck even if they wanted to fix it they probably don't have access to the parts and had nothing to do with how they were installed or the complete system engineered. So I get why they are denying this. However does mean your warranty is void? Absolutely not followed by an *. Lets say you had a warranty issue with the engine. Maybe the alternator went out. Well Jayco doesn't build alternators so would you want them replacing it? Kind of like a reverse from the suspension issue because that would be on Ford. It is just like if you modify your car. Lets say you install a big turbo in the car. The dealer will "void" your warranty if there is an engine issue that could be attributed to the turbo and possibly transmission issues. However if your power windows went out, it is hard to attribute the failed power windows to a turbo so it would still be covered. Same thing with Ford.

In the case of the suspension issue, if Jayco designed and installed the suspension it should fall on them. You said you went to a great dealer. This is wonderful. You are luckier than a lot of people here in I normally hear how horrible the dealer is. Go back to the dealer. What people here are trying to convey to you is that you and your husband is saying there is an issue. There very well may be. We don't have evidence here to deny your claims. Only what you have said. That being that your dealer who you seem to trust has said it is fine. They also referred you to a frame and suspension shop I am assuming is separate from the dealer for a second opinion. That sure sounds like you have a good dealer to me so you might be right on. However what doesn't add up is the dealer and this second opinion both report that everything is fine yet you are saying it isn't. Again, not saying you are wrong but what people here have been saying is that you may need to look for another opinion.

We don't know your background or what you are using for a comparison. For all we know you are new to RVs or maybe this is your 15th motorhome and for a job you are an engineer for a major RV manufacturer. If you have a great dealer, maybe you can ask to take another similar RV out on a test drive back to back with yours to compare ride handling and sag. Maybe you could ask Jayco or the dealer what the tolerance is for these issues. I hate to say it but buying something new and modifying it right out of the gate is nothing new. I have been doing it to campers, motorcycles, cars and trucks for years.

I hope the tone of replies here don't sound like we are all against you because it can be taken that way and it is easier to jump to that conclusion when you are already frustrated. If it were me, I would look at similar units to see if they have the same issue. It may be an engineering issue and if it falls in spec then it is an issue that has to be addressed by modifications, likely on your dime. Try and find a 3rd opinion if that is an option. I haven't had a warranty claim yet but from what I have read it normally isn't a Jayco issue but a dealer issue with submitting it. If you can get a shop (dealer, 2nd or 3rd party) it goes further than you complaining. We are really trying to help if we can.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #50

All warranty coverage by Ford

I have found where all written documentation by Ford is found. It is listed in the Body Builder Guide Book. What I was advised is that there is a contractual agreement between Ford and jayco.i am attaching a copy of the issue i am currently working with. Ford advised my the cab on the e450 do not get hot. Well look at the memo by their engineer. All issues can be found in this book.
HaileyBear123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #51

Welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #52

We are experiencing the same issue with our precept 36t 2027. We have been to a frame shop, although they had a discrepancy with the measurements. Ford won't do anything either because of the adjustment in the frame. It seems like the body is sagging on either front driver's and rear passenger side
markhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #53

We experienced a similar problem with our Alante 32N but on passenger side rear. After a round of finger pointing Jayco ended up saying that since there is no standard or regulation regarding lean in a MH that they would not pay for a fix. We spent the money to fix it- additional leaf in the spring. This has fixed the problem, but we will not be spending more money at Jayco in the future (we traded in our Jayflight TT for this unit.)
KevTev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #54

All motorhomes tend to have these problems not just Jayco. Problem is slide-outs and extra weight from slides on one side or the other.

If a rig has all the slides on one side it's very hard for coach builders to counter balance that weight. Diesel pushers with airbag suspensions have overcome this problem with air ride level systems.

Have your coach weighed on all four corners. You can do that at truck scales. It will help you know how to load to help balance things.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote