Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #1

Angry Jayco warranty not truthful

We purchased a brand new 2016 Precept 31UL last June. We have had many problems but with a wonderful dealer have had everything fixed EXCEPT the problem with sagging on the drivers side, front and back. The dealer went to the extent of weighs, measurements and all where good. They sent it to a frame/chassis provider who stated all was good but no one can say why it sags. My husband has talked to Jayco who state it is a Ford issue and Ford states it is a Jayco issue because they modified the frame to put in the J-Ride system which voids the warranty. We are frustrated to the point of looking into an attorney to solve the problem. I can't believe that Jayco can put a bumper to bumper warranty on something that is not acknowledged by anyone. If anyone has this issue and hopefully a solution I would love to hear it.
gspeye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

If Ford voids the chassis warranty because Jayco installs the J-Ride system, that sounds like something Jayco better get sorted out with Ford, else they risk a whole long list of claims when the class action lawsuit gets filed. Either that, or they better step up and pay the bill at Ford for the fix.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Can you share a pic so we can see what you're talking about?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeye2 View Post
Ford states it is a Jayco issue because they modified the frame to put in the J-Ride system which voids the warranty. .
Every RV manufacturer modifies the chassis frames in some manner to build a MH whether a Class "A" or Class "C". FORD has specific guidlines for those modifications and as long as they are followed warranties are not voided. It's been going on like that for years. That was one thing that caused the driveshaft vibration a couple years ago FORD failed to tell the RV industry about a change they made to the E-450 trany.

www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #5

Has your husband talked to anyone at Ford. He should call 1-800-444-3311, this number is for fleet customer service for resolving Ford RV chassis-related concerns. I am not sure what you mean by sagging but it sounds like the driver side is lower than the other. To me that sounds like a lot more weight on the drivers side causing it to sag, does it sag more with the slides out. I don't see how Jayco could says its a Ford problem sounds like they built an unbalanced unit. I could create the same condition on my boat if I fill one gas tank with 150 gallons and zero in the other, that 900# will cause me to list big time to one side.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #6

Answer

My husband has talked to Ford at the 800 number, they and our local Ford Truck division both stated it is not their problem because of the modifications. The problem is both when slides are in or out and even when empty of all belongings and water tanks etc. They weighed it completely empty. I will try to get a pic for all to see. Our dealer stated he has had several come in but no one else has complained. For me it makes me feel like in a turn or corner it will fall over, I'm fearful to even drive it.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
My husband has talked to Ford at the 800 number, they and our local Ford Truck division both stated it is not their problem because of the modifications. The problem is both when slides are in or out and even when empty of all belongings and water tanks etc. They weighed it completely empty. I will try to get a pic for all to see. Our dealer stated he has had several come in but no one else has complained. For me it makes me feel like in a turn or corner it will fall over, I'm fearful to even drive it.
I would bet there is something else wrong. Such as the wrong suspension springs on one side of the chassis, poor weight distribution, bent sway bar, etc. But I still think it's ultimately Jayco's responsibility if Ford voided the warranty. Ford has a tendency to do that without much provocation.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

I think its just the nature of the animal, you say it feels like it will tip over when turning well its more like a school bus than a corvette. If it has been looked over by a frame shop and they say its ok not much more you can do. Some have added beefed up sway bars and steering stabilizers which helped a bit.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #9

I am upset that we spent the money to have such a hassle and no one to fix or acknowledge the problem. If the standards in the industry is to modify then they should not advertise the bumper to bumper warranty, they should inform the person spending the money of the issues first and let the buyer decide if they want to spend their hard earned money for no warranty. It's all about making the buyer feel safe and secure with what they paid for. I just want it fixed or they can have the darn thing back.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #10

I'm also not going to spend a dime on something that is advertised as stable and safe suspension and steering. I don't think that it is my responsibility to add money that when sold to us raved about the suspension and steering I know that lots of people do this but why buy if you have to spend thousands more to get what you were supposedly paying for in the beginning. Just saying.....

The sagging is on the drivers side and visible from the front and rear, when measured it is a 3-4 inch drop from the passengers side. Frame shop said the frame is straight, shocks, springs and all pertaining is aligned properly, so go figure.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #11

I agree, maybe that's the answer, find others with the same problem and find a good attorney
Old 05-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Yeah - although I'm hesitant to agree, an attorney might light a fire.

There are many different companies involved in any motorhome - even the chassis. For example, on our Greyhawk, it's MORryde who builds on the frame and installs the J-Ride components then modifies the driveshaft.

In the end, I agree, we hold Jayco responsible. But I'm saying it's easy to see why the finger pointing can get out of control.

I wish you luck and hope you get satisfaction!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #13

Key points I picked up on were:

The dealer went to the extent of weighs, measurements and all where good. They sent it to a frame/chassis provider who stated all was good.

You need to find an authorized shop that says something *is not good* puts it in writing and sends it off to Jayco for escalation.

You need someone, other than you guys, willing to go to bat. If it came down to it, I'd go to a non-jayco shop on my own dime and get an unaffiliated tech there to document the problem. So far, it doesn't sound like you have a viable diagnosis. Once you have one, you can take appropriate steps.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #14

This is a example of false advertising at its best. I guess Jayco only cares about money not customer satisfaction and safety!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #15

Bansai - What you say is exactly the correct assessment of the situation as it exists right now. What is needed is an independent and credible advocate. . . . Any suggestion that Jayco's modifications void the Ford warranty can't possibly be true. Jayco has been making mods of this general nature for years.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Quote:
This is a example of false advertising at its best. I guess Jayco only cares about money not customer satisfaction and safety!!!!!!!

Let us know if you need contact info for Jayco, or it you would like some advise on where to take your camper for a fair assessment. Doesn't sound like you have a valid warranty claim yet. You need a 3rd party to substantiate your claims.

The Jayco warranty is solid, but you have to do your part if you want to file a claim against it.... i.e. - get someone credible to put in writing that your unit is defective. That's what I'd do first.

Good luck...
Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Bansai - What you say is exactly the correct assessment of the situation as it exists right now. What is needed is an independent and credible advocate. . . . Any suggestion that Jayco's modifications void the Ford warranty can't possibly be true. Jayco has been making mods of this general nature for years.

I dont know how you can say this, we have talked to the Truck Division of Ford, locally and at the corporate level and THEY say the any and all modifications made after being sent to Jayco, makes the Ford warranty void. I understand that Jayco has been making modifications for years but it still makes the Ford warranty on the frame, suspension etc void.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #18

Quote:
I dont know how you can say this, we have talked to the Truck Division of Ford, locally and at the corporate level and THEY say the any and all modifications made after being sent to Jayco, makes the Ford warranty void. I understand that Jayco has been making modifications for years but it still makes the Ford warranty on the frame, suspension etc void.
The point I was trying to make, maybe failed to do so, was that your complaints are never going to be acknowledged until you get someone credible to sign off on them being valid.

Make that your first, and primary mission. Everyone is going to point fingers at someone else until someone credible points the finger at them. Make that happen.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:23 PM   #19

Well, yes, it would be unrealistic to expect Ford to accept warranty responsibility for those specific components that Jayco adds or substitutes on the Ford chassis. Nor for any specific consequences of what Jayco has done. But someone must make a convincing case for the existence of "sag" and the mechanism(s) that have caused it.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #20

A credible source must document the issue as valid and make a suggestion as to what is causing this. Other then your dealer, has anyone actually physically looked at and evaluated the coach? Something is wrong, but like others have said, it has to be validated. If it were me, I would seek out an authority in the subject matter and have them take a look and document the measurements, take pictures of the issue and what they believe is causing it. Then you have something to work with.

Good luck.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote