Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #1

Unhappy Loveseat change to recliners

Has anyone else looked at changing the loveseat / concrete bench in the 31 ul. This thing has to be the most uncomfortable piece of furniture I have ever spent time in. In addition to being hard it also slants forward and seems to throw you forward into the isle. I checked at several websites and it seems that a new loveseat recliner or separate recliners at about $1400.
Any better suggestions or prices. Just checking.
kjtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:49 AM   #2

Yes, after a few weeks we realized that we were avoiding the fold out couch for exactly the reasons you list. So did some research and since we live in the middle of RV manufactures in Indiana there are a bunch of retrofiters close. We chose to buy a double recliner from Lambright Chairs factory store in Topeka.
The swap out was very simple. The fold out couch was easily remove with just a few screws which left the empty slide out. The only modification needed was to add about 10" to the base of the slide out because the new chair is deeper than the old foldout. Made a plywood box and covered it with a piece of carpet to match. Then took 2 small metal plates and screw the extension to the slide out base. The plates don't show because are covered by the new chair base.
To keep the recliner from moving screwed 2 u brackets over the recliner front base
The seat belts still are available to pull up through the seat of the recliner.
And the recliners are really comfortable!
Cost was about $1200 for leather and worth every penny.
tinman353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback as this is something I would like to do.
Glad it worked out for you and I am sure you are way more comfortable.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 AM   #4

Watch furniture sales. We picked up two elec recliners for $600 each. Also most recliners have extra holes in the front cross brace where you can screw it to the floor.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Grumpy
Thanks and I will keep an eye out. Just maybe a couple more trips before the winterization. Have the winter to look around. The DW will want to try to match the gray faux leather.
Ken
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtrot View Post
The DW will want to try to match the gray faux leather.
Ken
Or find a complimentary color.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. Right now our trips are of limited duration. (Who doesn't wish they had more vacation?) Upon retirement we plan to replace the fold-out sofa in the Greyhawk with a pair of decent recliners. Glad to know it can be done.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #8

We found an outlet store that carried returned and damaged furniture. We were able to pick up a nice piece for a great price. During our search we learned that with recliners wall huggers worked best with an RV. We wanted a love seat so we got a double reclining wall hugger that worked great for us. We had to take the piece apart but it was a pretty easy task.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #9

tinman353. I just found your pics of your redo. That is awesome. What a fantastic job.
Could you post those pics on the Precept Owners Group? I know there will be a lot of conversation if you do.
Thanks for showing us your improvements.
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

We replaced our couch 2 weeks after we bought our UN35 with a double set of recliners. Looks much better and sooooo much more comfortable.
samslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

Loveseat change reply.

Have not picked up our 31UL yet but spoke to CS at Jayco about that same issue on the coach we test drove. CS stated there is an adjustment you can make to the front of the sofa to raise it up. Since we don't have ours yet I can't verify the info. I'm sure at some point I will be replacing mine also.

Happy traveling.
doylera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #12

Put a couple of pillows behind the seat backs.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

tinman353: I saw the pictures of your recliner mod and I'm very impressed. It looks great and I'd love to do the same. My only question is, didn't adding 10" to the front of the sofa slide-out make it nearly impossible to walk between it and the opposite "dining room" slide-out when both slides are in, as when you are on the road?
gswalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswalling View Post
tinman353: I saw the pictures of your recliner mod and I'm very impressed. It looks great and I'd love to do the same. My only question is, didn't adding 10" to the front of the sofa slide-out make it nearly impossible to walk between it and the opposite "dining room" slide-out when both slides are in, as when you are on the road?
Actually the extension made it easier to walk when both slide outs are in because now the floor is flat raised strait across. Yes the space would be a bit tighter except that I also removed the dinette and replaced with a table. When the table is pushed in while driving there now is more space than before and you can comfortably walk from front to back.
tinman353 is offline   Reply With Quote