Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2016, 10:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post

You can sometimes get away without it, but I added a custom battery charging circuit so the Jeep battery stays topped off while towing, so the aux braking system doesn't suck the battery dry. Just custom power wiring with circuit protection, large enough wire.
Did you use a diode in series with the fuse to protect the coach circuits if one should start the Jeep without disconnecting the 6 pin plug? I was thinking probably #12 wire and a 20 amp fuse would be sufficient?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Did you use a diode in series with the fuse to protect the coach circuits if one should start the Jeep without disconnecting the 6 pin plug? I was thinking probably #12 wire and a 20 amp fuse would be sufficient?
I did not. I only included a fuse and a circuit breaker.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:48 PM   #43

I do not have a charge lead, my question is does the 7 pin connector on the back of a precept have aux power already wired?

I've been told with my brake system I don't need a charge line because it only draws power when my brakes are used. Lights are powered from Motorcoach, but I do like the idea of adding it.

Thx,
Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 PM   #44

7 pin provides 12v from your tow vehicle

Etrailer.com has wiring diagrams for all different plugs. The 7 pin provides 12v direct from your tow vehicle.

Tested my RVi Brake 2 today using the RV remote as an actuator. Happy to report it works well, no problems, no key in the ignition. Getting closer every day.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Etrailer.com has wiring diagrams for all different plugs. The 7 pin provides 12v direct from your tow vehicle.
I know there is a pin/blade for aux power, I'm not sure if Jayco has wired it. Guess I'll get out the multimeter.

Congrats on your testing today! And thanks for the reply.

Steve
Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
I know there is a pin/blade for aux power, I'm not sure if Jayco has wired it. Guess I'll get out the multimeter.

Congrats on your testing today! And thanks for the reply.

Steve
The chassis manufacturer often does not power the pin. Ford and Chevrolet deliberately leave out the fuse/breaker/relay for the power pin. Don't know about the other chassis manufacturers.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #47

Oh, and be careful with the pin out on the 7 pin connector. It can vary a bit from one MFG to another.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:07 PM   #48

Looking forward for my Blue Ox toad towing gear. I'm going to do some more research on brake controllers but by next spring will be toading.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #49

Update on Wrangler toad

Received the Hopkins wiring kit #56200 and Roadmaster brake light relay last week while on our shakedown cruise. My Blue Ox came with a 7 pin to 6 pin coiled cord so looks like I may need to cut off the 4 pin Hopkins socket and add a 6 pin socket. Looks like a vehicle mounted socket will be cheaper than a 7 pin to 4 pin cable.

Tested the RVi2 brake using the RV controller, that seems to be working OK.

Everything is in hand now, wiring, breakaway switch and Blue Ox base plate so time to get to work. Hope to have it ready for our next trip on Nov. 11 to Bowling Green, KY.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Received the Hopkins wiring kit #56200 and Roadmaster brake light relay last week while on our shakedown cruise. My Blue Ox came with a 7 pin to 6 pin coiled cord so looks like I may need to cut off the 4 pin Hopkins socket and add a 6 pin socket. Looks like a vehicle mounted socket will be cheaper than a 7 pin to 4 pin cable.

Tested the RVi2 brake using the RV controller, that seems to be working OK.

Everything is in hand now, wiring, breakaway switch and Blue Ox base plate so time to get to work. Hope to have it ready for our next trip on Nov. 11 to Bowling Green, KY.
If you don't have this ready by Nov 11, we're taking away your man card.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #51

Quote:
My Blue Ox came with a 7 pin to 6 pin coiled cord so looks like I may need to cut off the 4 pin Hopkins socket and add a 6 pin socket. Looks like a vehicle mounted socket will be cheaper than a 7 pin to 4 pin cable.
IMO use the 6 pin, you may want to add a charge line, etc., this will give you a couple extra/open pins, no other connections required.

Steve
Old 01-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #52

Everything works ---almost

Finally got our 35S away from the dealer today, been there 9 weeks for warranty fixes, winterizing and tire valve extenders.

Hooking up the Wrangler went well, all lights work as they should, RVI2 brake installed and tested in the parking lot, good to go. Not much fun doing this at 10 degrees F.

I learned rather quickly in my first 90 degree turn that the steering wheel DOES lock with key removed. That was the last test I did before we departed and it did not lock while sitting still. I can report that it didn't take long to find that problem.

So now I am back to leaving the key in - turned to first position to unlock the steering wheel.

Any comments on the down side to this? I can always lock the Wrangler with wife's spare key. Does this create extra battery drain?

Leaving Sunday for FL, hope to resolve it tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Finally got our 35S away from the dealer today, been there 9 weeks for warranty fixes, winterizing and tire valve extenders.

Hooking up the Wrangler went well, all lights work as they should, RVI2 brake installed and tested in the parking lot, good to go. Not much fun doing this at 10 degrees F.

I learned rather quickly in my first 90 degree turn that the steering wheel DOES lock with key removed. That was the last test I did before we departed and it did not lock while sitting still. I can report that it didn't take long to find that problem.

So now I am back to leaving the key in - turned to first position to unlock the steering wheel.

Any comments on the down side to this? I can always lock the Wrangler with wife's spare key. Does this create extra battery drain?

Leaving Sunday for FL, hope to resolve it tomorrow.

There are some fuses you'll need to pull to reduce the power draw. Your owners manual may have that info otherwise search the forum because I think I've run across it before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #54

If you need to pull a fuse it may be easier to add a switch to disconnect the fuse. One of our friends did this on an automobile, does away with the hassle of pulling ans replacing the fuse.

Steve
Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #55

Seems a fuse disconnect is the easiest solution

Googled the subject and pulling a fuse seems to be the common denominator. A disconnect switch seems to be the easiest solution to my problem but won't do that until we get to FL and warmer weather.

Would be nice to find a switch that fits in the dash with the other switches, have to do some searching.

When I had the Wrangler serviced a few weeks back they did the recall on the airbag clock spring, had I known I could have had the steering lock disabled then. Oh well......
Old 01-08-2017, 10:10 AM   #56

Oh wow, I didn't know you could have the steering lock disabled, I would look more in that direction.

Best of luck in your decision.

Steve
Old 01-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #57

Need advice for Jeep Wrangler toad and Precept 35S

Good luck on the trip down, Nick.
Hopefully the weather is good to you. We actually had a low here of 37. But it should be in the mid to upper 70's by the time you arrive. I was still hoping to meet you and chat about the Precept.
How long will you be in Sanford?
Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #58

Arrived last Wednesday

Made it here last Wednesday with only one issue, I managed to break a locking lever bolt on the tow bar. DW had to drive the Wrangler the last 100 miles

Blue Ox was kind enough to send a repair kit at no charge but I may haul it to the Tampa RV show tomorrow to let BO service it.

Larry, we will be at Wekiva Falls RV resort until about march 1 or thereabouts. We plan to head to Panama City early march to visit friends, no particular departure date yet. We are available about any time, send me a pm and I'll pass along my cell number.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 PM   #59

Need advice for Jeep Wrangler toad and Precept 35S

Nick. Left you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #60

I used e trailer for the things I needed and it worked great they Have videos u need did all myself Had three trips to Florida and no problems
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote