Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2016, 12:04 PM   #1

Need advice for Jeep Wrangler toad and Precept 35S

Hello Folks,

DW and I will be picking up our 2016 Precept next week and I am seeking advice, tips and useful info to use our 2007 Wrangler JK 2 door as our toad.

The Precept is our first motorhome experience but we have been fifth wheel campers since 2009 so we are not that new to camping.

Our dealer tossed out a price of $3500 installed but being a little bit mechanically inclined (just installed Rubicon shocks and springs) I believe I can do it myself by seeking wisdom from those who have been there and done that.

I know that I need a Towbar - Blue Ox seems to be the popular choice and there are several pre-owned towbars on Craigslist. Just need to make sure I get the correct weight rating. Curb weight is between 3760 to 4315 so I'm thinking a 5K towbar will have enough safety factor.

I know I'll need brackets on the Wrangler for the towbar and may have to purchase new if there are no pre-owned local to me.

I'll need something for braking, Brake Buddy seems to be very popular but I need to know how to select a braking system that meets our needs. I believe the braking system has break-away capabilities?

Lighting is still a mystery to me, not sure whether to use my Wrangler tail lights or opt for a separate pair for towing only - need good advice here.

What else do I need? I'm sure I've forgotten some little detail.

Nick, Sharon and Fin the wonder dog.

NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #2

Currie Enterprise Tow Bar-Amazon. Mopar wiring harness for lights. Brake Buddy, Blue Ox tow bar, Go to each products website for details. Goggle each and you can find best prices. iRV2 forums a lot more info about what you asked about. I brought Brake Buddy used everything else was new. I had a problem with BB and they fixed for free.15 JKU and 31ul. irv2 forums has classifieds too.

edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Go to E trailer they will set you up for half the price the dealer quoted you and easy instal with some mechanical ability. And half day of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

I ran a separate wiring harness for my lights. I just like the idea of keeping the jeep lighting separate from the tow lighting. If something goes wrong with the tow lights, it's a easy fix. I found these small, lightweight, brake-turn signal lights. They are very bright!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post
Currie Enterprise Tow Bar-Amazon. Mopar wiring harness for lights. Brake Buddy, Blue Ox tow bar, Go to each products website for details. Goggle each and you can find best prices. iRV2 forums a lot more info about what you asked about. I brought Brake Buddy used everything else was new. I had a problem with BB and they fixed for free.15 JKU and 31ul. irv2 forums has classifieds too.

Been doing that while watching the Bengals do what they do best.....

On the Mopar wiring harness - is that just for lights? I like the plug and play but lots of work removing the fender and liner.

I've located Blue Ox tow bars locally at decent used prices. The base plate will unlikely have to be new.

Anyone have comments on the Brake Buddy Vantage?

Nick
Old 09-25-2016, 04:34 PM   #6

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160925/55d968fac6f6dfef471743cdab9d6675.jpg[/IMG. This is simple plug and play easy set up lightweight works great for the lights I used a Hopkins diod kit made for the jk I ran the wires through the jeep frame to keep them protected kit was plug and play no splicing or soldering lots of u tube videos to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #7

Here's a base plate install on a jeep

Best Regards,

Nick
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks Nick for the video, very helpful. I think I can do that myself.

Nick
Old 09-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

We just purchased a 2016 Wrangler, our first toad.

I'm pretty handy with a wrench so I did all the installs myself, took about 18 hours over four evenings. Everything works properly, saved 2500 +\- on labor. I know where every connection is, placed 99% of them where I can stand and check connections, fuse, etc.

These are the items I used, I wouldn't change a thing:
Blue Ox baseplate
Blue Ox tow bar with cover
Hopkins toad wiring harness
SMI Stay In Play Duo brake system
7 pin to 6 pin umbilical
Brake light relay

Love the brake system, plug the umbilical in and the brakes are ready to go! Plus if I ever change coaches it all still works, diesel or gas.

I would be happy to answer questions by email or send photos.

FYI: I have just under 2500 in the entire set up, I went with a 10,000 lb tow bar just because. I really liked the Demco tow bar but then I would spend another 150 for the proper ends to attach to the Blue Ox baseplate. And I liked the BO baseplate.

Best of luck,
Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #10

We have a 2015 JK and I installed the Blue OX baseplate myself. It wasn't too difficult at all. I also used the light wiring in the Blue OX accessory kit to run a completely separate circuit and added a separate bulb for the tail lights. I ordered the Mopar one but didn't like the install and the fact that any device that actuated the brake pedal could back feed the coach.

I went with the Blue OX avail tow bar since I didn't want to worry with having to be perfectly level/square to attach/detach the Jeep.

I also went with the RVi Brake over the brake buddy or patriot. I liked the size, control options and the available TPMS sensors for the Jeep.

RViBranke2 w/TPMS
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote