Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #11

First trip Precept 35S update

Got the 35S loaded with our fifth wheel goods, did some thinning out too. Drained the freshwater tank down to 1/3 and headed out yesterday around 11am.

Ran it across the CAT scales in Northern KY and was surprised see just over 19000 lbs.

Drove I75 to Lexington, KY then I64 east to Mountain Parkway. I varied my speed from 60 to 65 during this portion of the trip with 55 on the 2 lane section of Mountain Parkway. The majority of this trip was without tow/haul mode selected. The only time I engaged this feature was when I had a few hills to climb.

Steering was much better with the added weight, no handling complaints at all. At this point I'm not sure if I need to do the "cheap handling fix" modification, can't imagine getting any improvement over what I have now. Think I will adopt a wait and see attitude on the chf.

The only issue for now is the drivers rear view mirror needs to have the 3 set screws tightened. It tends to develop a lean while traveling so this will be an easy fix. So far we have spent 4 rather uneventful nights since we took delivery.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #12

upacrick;
We have had sooo many problems with our 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL... we have been to the factory twice... still having problems. Water in the basement storage, they said they fixed it... NOT, still happening. Poor headlight placement... can't see the road at night properly, only with high beams, which you can't leave on. Monitor for side and rear camera placement is horrible. You have to take your eyes off the road and lean back to see when making a right hand turn to see if there is anything along side. Driver side and passenger side windows whistle when locked. Outside TV cabinet gets water in it. Drawers and pullout cabinet in galley pop our while driving. Driver and passenger seats fell apart. Lock assembly on water heater door fell of the first time I tried to open it. Jacks retract when you turn the key... when staying in an RV park for 3 months... I always start the engine to make sure it will start. Takes a long time to stop when applying brakes. And... many, many more too numerous to mention. Like I said we went to the factory twice already... not ready to go again. Very disgusted.
Not sure how to use this site... but we are sooo frustrated. Thought maybe someone could give us some advise. Thank You

upacrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

We have had our Precept for a little over two weeks now and are very happy with it. We are traveling so made our purchase in Kaysville Utah . We had to take our rig back before we left to have a few items repaired.

1. The finish had been removed from a 2x2 area on the countertop and also the top of the pull-out cabinet, repaired.
2. There was a bubble in the floor, repaired.
3. The microwave was not level making the backsplash look crooked, semi repaired. Will be taking it to Camping World in Anthony, NM when we get home to have it properly repaired.
4. Also to be repaired in Anthony: the carpet in the bedroom is not stretched tight near the door resulting in a bubble; one of the glass panels on the shower door is not seated properly in the rubber bracket makeing it hard to open and close; it needs a front end alignment, the steering wheel is one click off; the bracket on the rear awning arm obviously came loose at one time and scratched up the decal; pull-out cabinet in the kitchen was installed crookedly so it does not sit evenly.
5. When we arrived in St. George Utah the back AC quit working. Needed a new circuit board, Camping World repaired.

There were a few small item s my husband repaired, I will call them quality-control issues. The toilet was installed sitting at an angle. That one was a little ridiculous, incredible; mud flaps only has two small short screws in each; he added a stronger full-length piano hinge on the bed flap. The others with their two small piano hinges ripped out the first time my grandson lifted up the bed. There were numerous other small things but nothing serious, just the kind of repairs that working on makes the RV your own.

We pull a 16 foot enclosed trailer with our motorcycles and have had no problem up and down mountains. The gas mileage has been great, even with pulling the trailer - we keep it under 70 mph. The ride has been very comfortable and even in the wind and passing semi's we have not experienced any problems.
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #14

Did I mention we love our new rig ...
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #15

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacrick View Post
upacrick;
We have had sooo many problems with our 2016 Jayco Precept 31UL... we have been to the factory twice... still having problems. Water in the basement storage, they said they fixed it... NOT, still happening.

Need to stay on top of Jayco

Poor headlight placement... can't see the road at night properly, only with high beams, which you can't leave on.

Jayco has a procedure for adjusting headlights that may require fabrication of new brackets. Insist on receiving the procedure.

Monitor for side and rear camera placement is horrible. You have to take your eyes off the road and lean back to see when making a right hand turn to see if there is anything along side.

This is a gimmick option, worthless in my opinion. You don't want to be taking your eyes off the road, use your side mirrors, that's what they were designed for and provide good visibility. Ignore the side cameras but use your backup camera.

Driver side and passenger side windows whistle when locked. Outside TV cabinet gets water in it. Drawers and pullout cabinet in galley pop our while driving.

The pullout cabinet slides out in our 35S, we use a bungee cord with rubber coated ends to secure it. Jayco engineers probably thought this was a great idea but they didn't count on the cabinet sliding out while traveling. Just poor implementation of a good idea.

Driver and passenger seats fell apart. Lock assembly on water heater door fell of the first time I tried to open it.

Jacks retract when you turn the key... when staying in an RV park for 3 months... I always start the engine to make sure it will start.

I think this is correct operation, they don't want you driving off with the jacks down. My 35S does the same thing and I don't mind as I like to relevel once per week, especially on dirt or gravel.

Takes a long time to stop when applying brakes.

You do realize you're driving a very heavy vehicle? You need to plan ahead for stops, it will not brake like a car, truck or many Class C coaches.

And... many, many more too numerous to mention. Like I said we went to the factory twice already... not ready to go again. Very disgusted.
Not sure how to use this site... but we are sooo frustrated. Thought maybe someone could give us some advise. Thank You
My advice is to find someone higher up in Jayco Customer Service that will pay attention to the real quality issues. Failing that Trailer Life magazine has a resolution service that aids customers who feel they are not getting good customer service. I realize that you have a motor home so not sure if Trailer Life can help but maybe Motorhome magazine has a similar service for Motorhome owners. At any rate, good luck. We have had an excellent experience with our 1 week old 35S, spent the last 8 nights in it with only very minor issues.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
We're loving our 35S also, jump in and go! Yesterday I ordered the Blue Ox stuff to tow our 2014 Honda CRV. After we get the towing set up done I'll start on chassis upgrades.
Try moving the front and rear sway bars to the rear holes if your're getting a lot of rolling from side to side, makes a big difference in handling. You will find the bedroom furnace duct gets most of the heat as the furnace is so close, restrict it some and the living room gets toasty also. I have a list of things I repaired and items that will need warranty work if you want it just pm me.JT

JohnTanis is offline   Reply With Quote