Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

No Ladders on the 2017 Precept Models

Group,

I sent Jayco an email regarding no ladders on the 2017 Precept, here is the response.

My name is Brittany Ware, and I am a Jayco representative here at the plant. I received your inquiry regarding the 2017 Precept, and I wanted to get in touch with you. We found that a majority of our customers did not climb up on the roof due to the height of our coaches, and would prefer to let someone at a service center get up there instead. For many of our customers, it was a safety risk. Taking the ladder off also gave a nice, clean look to the exterior of the Precept. For these reasons, we removed the ladder on the 2017s BUT we left the supports behind the cap so a ladder can be added at any time!

Best Regards,

Nick
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Nick can you post the email addy. I'm looking to install a ladder on mine as well.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #3

Gman1372,

Here you go, brittany.ware@footsteps.net
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Great. Thanks
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #5

Jayco no longer responsible if the ladder breaks off when you try to climb up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Larry Mac, please explain.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:38 PM   #7

No Ladders on the 2017 Precept Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Larry Mac, please explain.
Same reason You won't find child safety latches in the seats for RV motorhomes.
The RV manufacturer passes the liability on to the consumer. If you want a ladder, you install it,if it fails, Jayco is not responsible. I asked this question regarding the ladder to a Jayco engineering rep at a show in Florida. He didn't say yes, and he didn't say no, which to me said a lot. Same with no child safety latches for toddler seats in RV's. There are no regulations requiring them to provide them, so why enter that realm by trying to provide it. They have nothing to gain, and everything to lose.

Regarding the ladder, the comment where she said a majority of owners said they would not climb up on the roof, I find that very strange. Knowing the potential leaks and other issues that could begin on the roof, I would expect a majority of owners would actually want easy access to the roof. She picked the politically correct response IMO.

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #8

Larry Mac I have a '16 35S with a ladder on the back and if it breaks off while under warranty I will have them fix it. Going forward for Jayco your statement is true. I have been on my roof in between monsoons as I had some water enter the coach thru the A/C unit. Didn't find any so the water must have been blown in thru the air intake. Glad I had the ladder.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #9

No way would I nor my wife get on our roof of our 35 UN. Hospital bills are quite expensive. Get an RV tech to do it. He needs to eat also.
Wilcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:36 PM   #10

Wilcut, I'm 56 been in construction for 33 years, I am in top physical shape, highly coordinated, and don't need to hire some punk to do what I can do better.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter210 View Post
let someone at a service center get up there instead.
In other works "take it to our dealer and spend money."

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #12

VICR Sounds like you got it together, I'm 82 and love camping, jumped from good airplanes in the military and would rather grow a little older.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #13

Wilcut, thank you for your service in the military and glad to see you're still enjoying RV life at 82!
Old 10-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #14

Thanks! and keep your self safe!
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Response from Campingworld service dept.

I originally received an email from Jayco parts, that they did not recommend installation of a ladder on the 2017 Precept 31UL. I also spoke with Campingworld and they refused to install a ladder, because it was not recommended by Jayco and did not want to have any liability.
Marcsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #16

Vicr: Just joined this forum last week and am drifting back here to learn all I can about our new 2016 Precept 35UP. Your post sounded like someone I used to know and just wanted to add a quick thought. I am 61 and have been around construction all my life and felt very strongly about doing things myself instead of letting someone else screw it up! Until August of last year when I fell off a roof/ladder and landed on concrete in front of 3 much younger employees of mine. Rushed to the hospital with 4 broken ribs, wrist, knee, jaw and what hospital people called 'multiple hematomas'! After a hospital stay and lengthy rehab I have realized that I am no longer 10' tall and bulletproof. You may not listen because I know I did not, but please listen to your body.
Joe0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #17

Also removed from the 2017 Seneca. Actually makes the back-end look a lot cleaner imo. Just purchased a collapsible ladder.
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #18

They never included a ladder on the Alante when introduced in 2016 either
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #19

We always had a telescopic ladder with us in the old RV (that had a ladder). It came always handy and they are inexpensive in relation to get a shop to add a ladder. Just ordered a new Precept 35S; the ladder was never a issue.

The issue is that Jayco Motorhomes have a bad reputation and reviews are generally not positive. I wonder why, as talking to Jayco RV owners they are pretty happy with their purchase. In addition, the reviews of other brands are not all positive either. Quality is not main priority in this industry and maybe people don't realize that they have a condo on wheels in a earthquake force 7 environment. But this is a discussion for another thread...
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
Regarding the ladder, the comment where she said a majority of owners said they would not climb up on the roof, I find that very strange. Knowing the potential leaks and other issues that could begin on the roof, I would expect a majority of owners would actually want easy access to the roof. She picked the politically correct response IMO.

Most people I know use an extension ladder, not the ladder on the rig.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote