Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Our experience buying a Jayco Precept 35S

Finally, I have some time to write this small tale with our new Jayco Precept 35S.
Last year we decided to get a Motorhome. We had previously a Class A Motorhome. Therefore we knew what we wanted and what not. However, we started from zero. So we started out by checking into the different Classes and wrote down the “would like”. We first agreed on a budget and that the motorhome was to be a new one. This eliminated already the Class A Diesel because of budget restrictions. However, I still checked into quality and fuel consumption of the Class A Diesel. Result was that the quality was better than the Gas, however, the price difference would not justify that as some brands still had quality problems. The fuel consumption was of course lower too. But again the difference did not justify the difference of the purchase price and we did not want to blow our budget. I still think the Diesel MH is a better Motorhome if you have the budget, but we stuck with our budget. Class B was too small as we wanted something to live in for a couple of months. We checked some Class C but realized soon that we loved the cockpit of a Class A better. Also the chassis was better built for the Class A for the size we wanted. So it was a Class A. We started to look into all Manufacturers in North America; visited numerous RV Shows and dealers. A list with pros and cons was created. Soon we saw what is discussed in this forum over and over again. All had some quality problems, it was like all motorhomes came out of the same manufacturer. To make this short: at the end we had Tiffin, Wintersport, Jayco Precept, Maybach and Newmar. Tiffin and Newmar stretched our budget with all the options we wanted. We really liked Maybach, again with all the options it was over the budget. There was also another problem. We live in Canada, Maybach has no representation in Canada, and also to import a new Maybach Motorhome was going to be a challenge as it was not on the approved import list in Canada. So we opted out. Jayco was the one that won us over. Jayco offered the best bang for the buck. I have stated that previously in this forum that Jayco’s price, quality and what you get is the best in the market in my opinion (others maybe disagree). The Precept 31 or 35 were the ones we now started to look into closer. The 35S had the floorplan we wanted and fulfilled most of our ‘must have’ items. Also we wanted exactly the options including Canadian CSA Standards, no bunk bed in the cockpit, normal couch and big fridge. So it was a factory order at the end. We contacted multiple (over 20) dealers in the US and Canada. Most offered what they had on the lot, which was not what we wanted. Especially in the US there were none that had the Canadian CSA Standard already installed. The best deal was with RV One for a factory order. By far the best; I started to call some Canadian dealers to see if they could beat the price, considering the importing fees and all the hassle with importing a MH from the US. However, for some reason they could not beat the price. So it was going to be RV One in Des Moines, the closest RV One dealer to us.
Beginning of December last year we started the negotiations with them and placed an order on January 5th 2017. The whole deal went really smooth. The sales people were really forthcoming answering all the questions. Especially, James Kehrer and Jessica Herrmann at the Headquarters of RV One who made the whole purchasing experience pleasant. Let me say also the staff members at RV One in Des Moines are really professional and it was a positive experience to deal with them.
Now we started to get all the documents and papers in order to import the MH into Canada. I imported my last MH into Canada, so I knew a little what to do and what not. Also the people at RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicle) (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) were really helpful. End of March we got the call that our MH was ready to be picked up. Middle of April we drove to Des Moines. We had an extensive check list before we signed off. Everything went smooth. I had a couple of warranty items that needed to be done. Some have been repaired right there at RV One, the others have been noted. Thanks to Jacob and Chris at the dealership for the excellent job. I contacted Jayco and they agreed to have them done at a dealer in Canada. So we rented a U-Haul dolly for our car and drove back to Canada.
The drive was a bit strenuous as we had lots of crosswind. I was used to driving a big rig in crosswind, so no complaints. Otherwise it was a good ride and the MH handled as well as expected. We used approximately 31l/100km or 7.3 mi/G. Considering with all the wind, towing a car and having a new motor, I was ok with that.
First impression: we love our motorhome, we think it is a good purchase.
Month of May the MH was at the storage as we traveled to Europe. Now it is with a local Jayco dealer for the warranty items. Middle of June I will bring the MH to a chassis guy to install a Steering Stabilizer and to do some more warranty items on the chassis.
I will write how those two milestones went. Also I have a couple of modifications and add-ons I will write in this forum.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Thanks for taking the time to lay out your thought process and results.

Hopefully some one can gain some knowledge from your experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

Sounds like your experience has not had any unwanted surprises. That's great and hopefully it continues that way! We really like our Alante and agree that Jayco class A's give great bang for the buck (Canadian or US)!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #4

I agree best value for the price I looked at a gas Tiffin at the show all the standard options on a Precept were ad one on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #5

We looked extensively and definitely most bang for the buck. We too purchased at RV One, bought through Albany, picked up in Buffalo, All I will say about this is thank God for Jayco's over the top customer service. Our 35UN is the perfect coach for us at this time. closer to retirement I see an Entegra 40P in my plans!
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #6

We went in to buy a 35S that we had looked at several times and after deciding against a 31UL (I'm 6'2") another couple was there purchasing it. The sales manager called the factory and they had 3 to choose from. We had internet pricing and after discussing the costs of travel to and from the midwest to pickup and bring home and the fact that we would expect excellent service from our local dealer he accepted our offer and I shook his hand and the deal was done. We saved about 32% off MSRP and got exactly what we wanted and no bunk!! We have had excellent service from our dealer and most times they will order parts and when they are all in we go in for a day for our warranty needs. Now that the CRV is all set to tow we can drop the coach off on a Saturday morning, go shopping, lunch etc and hook up and drive home in the afternoon. We are going to start on suspension upgrades and all that work will be done by a local custom coach shop who's owner is an ex coworker of my wife and that shop is only 15 minutes away.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

Vicr, if you say "suspension upgrades' what you are getting done? Just wondering.
Thank you
Old 06-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

We are going to do the CHF front and rear, install the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and have the Bilstein shocks replaced with the Koni FSD's. Every chassis shop I talked to said these are the first chassis upgrades to do before spending what could be wasted money on Trac bars, Sumo Springs etc.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
We are going to do the CHF front and rear, install the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer and have the Bilstein shocks replaced with the Koni FSD's. Every chassis shop I talked to said these are the first chassis upgrades to do before spending what could be wasted money on Trac bars, Sumo Springs etc.
Regarding the CHF, I have a question.

I have a 2107 31UL which was built on a 2016 F53 22K chassis. The brackets that hold my front trac bar are dissimilar to anything I've seen on the internet.
I'm guessing your 2016 35 may be similar.
I don't seem to have a simple way of moving the sway bar into a tighter position, as seen in many online videos.
Just curious if your configuration is the same, and what your doing.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #10

Vicr I have been considering a Precept and you seem to have a grasp on what it will take to do this right . I am curious about the upgrades to the suspension. You have indicated (i.e. CHF front and rear, Koni FSD's to replace Bilstein shocks, and Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. When figuring the cost of the MH I would like to add all these upgrade costs up so as to see the big picture of what the $$$$ bottom line is actually going to be. Would you mind revealing what the upgrades will roughly cost? Thank you in advance.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #11

Tho Koni shocks average about $160 ea., the SafeTPlus runs around $500 and since I'm so busy at work and spring projects at home I'll probably pay about$600 in labor maybe less to have all the work done at once. This will include doing the CHF front and rear.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Tho Koni shocks average about $160 ea., the SafeTPlus runs around $500 and since I'm so busy at work and spring projects at home I'll probably pay about$600 in labor maybe less to have all the work done at once. This will include doing the CHF front and rear.

Why the Koni shocks over the Bilsteins?

Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #13

Vicr, thank you for your reply earlier.

The CHF is not possible with the new 2017 Ford Chassis. So if anybody has a black heavy duty saw bar you cannot move the bar forward as there is no second hole.

Another interesting observation is that Bilstein is not producing any shocks for our 2017 Ford Chassis. Just went into the online catalog and this is what I got:

2017 Ford F53 Base V10 6.8L GAS FI NA 4 X 2
SERIES:
Show All Series
Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle

No wonder that Jayco has now problems to replace the Ford stock shocks with Bilstein shocks.

Vicr the new KONI FSD shocks is the way to go.They are more money but I think it is the best shock out there for our MH unless you want to spend thousands of dollars.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
Vicr, thank you for your reply earlier.

The CHF is not possible with the new 2017 Ford Chassis. So if anybody has a black heavy duty saw bar you cannot move the bar forward as there is no second hole.

Another interesting observation is that Bilstein is not producing any shocks for our 2017 Ford Chassis. Just went into the online catalog and this is what I got:

2017 Ford F53 Base V10 6.8L GAS FI NA 4 X 2
SERIES:
Show All Series
Thank you, your search will affect future product development at BILSTEIN. Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle

No wonder that Jayco has now problems to replace the Ford stock shocks with Bilstein shocks.

Vicr the new KONI FSD shocks is the way to go.They are more money but I think it is the best shock out there for our MH unless you want to spend thousands of dollars.
I have a 2017 Precept, which was built on a 2016 22K chassis.
And I don't have a way to do the CHF either.
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe my configuration was unique.
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #15

That would explain why I can't do the CHF. Truly though, my 2017 35S rides fairly well as is, after getting the front end aligned. Now if I could only get the steering wheel to be aligned. St. Lucie tire tried twice from underneath and once removing the wheel and, while better, still not spot on. Maybe I'll try a different provider the next time around.

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #16

Palms, somebody in this forum had the same problem. Check this post out:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...oes-43786.html

Good luck
Old 06-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #17

I suspect "drive-ability" is subjective. I was under no illusion that a 32' box on wheels was not going to handle or ride like my old honda minivan. Nor was my gasser going to compare with a DP on a freight liner chassis with air brakes.

I've driven from New York to Florida, and am fairly pleased with the "drive-ability".
100 psi all around, an alignment, and the safe-t-plus is all I need for now.

The rest is just me. Getting more and more comfortable with the inherent "drive-ability" of my 32' box on wheels.

I imagine I'll have some more insight after the 3,000+ mile trip that begins in about a week.
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
Old 06-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #18

I am interested in the Safe-T-Plus for my 2017 Precept 36T. Has anybody installed it themselves and do you need an alignment after installation? Thanks.
Dlla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlla88 View Post
I am interested in the Safe-T-Plus for my 2017 Precept 36T. Has anybody installed it themselves and do you need an alignment after installation? Thanks.
I'd think you want to make sure the front end is properly aligned BEFORE you add a steering stabilizer. I plan to install my RoadMaster stabilizer in the next couple of weeks. Based on videos I've seen it looks fairly straight forward.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
I'd think you want to make sure the front end is properly aligned BEFORE you add a steering stabilizer. I plan to install my RoadMaster stabilizer in the next couple of weeks. Based on videos I've seen it looks fairly straight forward.
Thanks Allen
Dlla88 is offline   Reply With Quote