Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 PM   #1

Question Picking up new 2017 Alante 31V ?'s for dealer

I, We, are picking up a brand new 2017 Alante 31v next week and I am wondering what questions or concerns I should raise before the Demo. It appears that all motor homes are not equal even if they have the same model and year. Thoughts? I have many years of camping, the last two with a class c gulf stream.
Vendingczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 03:18 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF! Congrats on your new Alante.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Jayco! If you do a search here on the forum there are many threads regarding Pre-delivery Inspection or PDI. Some folks have also posted worksheets that you can print and take with you for a very thorough PDI. Here is a link to one such thread. I just searched "pre-delivery" and found this and several other threads on the subject. Have fun with your new RV!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new Alante and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #5

Congrats on the new Alante! As others have said, use one of the many PDI checklists available here. We did when we took delivery of our new Alante a few weeks ago. Items specific to the Alante 31V that we've have noticed:

- Check the mirrors in the bathroom. They tend to slide/shift from the adhesive on the cabinet.

- Check all ceiling light fixtures since it is easy to crack the plastic ring

- Check for both speaker grills in the ceiling at the top of the windshield

- Confirm the auto-leveling jacks work properly and do not require recalibration or air to be burped from system

- Check that the round ring mounted near the top of the shower that holds the bathroom door open to provide privacy for the shower is secure and screws are not stripped.

These are some of the little details we discovered during or two inspections. Good luck and enjoy!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:07 AM   #6

Be sure to take it out for another test drive. This time take it on a country, curvy road. Make sure the kitchen drawers do not slam open when going around a curve (this is a problem with several units). Too bad it's not summer because you need to make sure the air conditioner works properly (ours was installed backwards and always wanted to switch to defrost!) Make sure all TV's are set up to work with the remotes and bring a DVD and CD to play in ALL players!! Make sure ice maker is hooked up. I strongly suggest you spend the night on the lot to make sure all components are fully operational (water heater, cook stove, heating, refrigerator...). We did...and it was so much easier to get (some) of these issues fixed before we actually took possession (got immediate attention). And...there is a form you can submit noting delayed possession for your warranty (we were not aware of this). Good luck
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
... And...there is a form you can submit noting delayed possession for your warranty (we were not aware of this). Good luck
Hi Travelbug,

Could you please give a little more info about this form: who informed you; how does a buyer get the form; is it sent directly to Jayco, etc.? I'll be taking possession of a new unit in March and this is very useful info to have ahead of time.

Thank you!
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

Congratulations on your new unit. We have the same model, in Red Accents with the grey/light interior.

Here are major things I'd pay attention to that we noticed on ours:

1. Plumbing. Under our sink the plumbing was not tight, we had water issues. They've been remedied now but I'm concerned for damage it may have caused that the dealer said they fixed, but I can not see.

2. Entertainment Head Unit. Make sure yours comes with anything but the JBL CP100. I had mine replaced 3 times before they finally put in a different brand unit. I think we have a Pioneer now? It's in storage and I can't check for you.

3. Make sure they've had the allignment checked before you take delivery. Ours needed to be done, and we didn't know until post delivery. It drives much better afterwards.

4. Front Power Shade. Check to make sure the power shade is fastened properly. Ours fell out on one side after riding on a rough city road at 35 mph. Scared the crap out of me.

Enjoy your new rig, I look forward to hearing about your experience!
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

@Graunke, good point about the alignment. I forgot we had the dealer re-align the front end of our too. We have not had a chance to take ours it yet so the operation of the in dash head unit is yet to be seen.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

I'll be following this thread, a 2017 31V is what i'm also interested in.
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutCole'd View Post
I'll be following this thread, a 2017 31V is what i'm also interested in.
We are very happy with ours! The offseason is killing me, we started making plans for short camping trips last night with friends.

We ordered ours w/o the overhead bunk, and in hindsight, I wish I would have had it installed. It would have made sleeping arrangements much easier when we have guests occasionally.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graunke View Post
We are very happy with ours! The offseason is killing me, we started making plans for short camping trips last night with friends.

We ordered ours w/o the overhead bunk, and in hindsight, I wish I would have had it installed. It would have made sleeping arrangements much easier when we have guests occasionally.
Same here, except wet have the overhead bunk. Wouldn't buy without it because we will have guests quite often and it is a great place to store blankets while traveling!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Same here, except wet have the overhead bunk. Wouldn't buy without it because we will have guests quite often and it is a great place to store blankets while traveling!
We store all of the thermal window covers (including windshield) I made for the inside. We boondock and man a LOT of heat comes in that windshield, the roller shade doesn't help as the sun just hits that and it transfers the heat. Believe me, get a roll of IR thermal bubble shield at Home Depot or where ever and make a cover for at least the windshield. Now I always try to park with the front facing North.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
We store all of the thermal window covers (including windshield) I made for the inside. We boondock and man a LOT of heat comes in that windshield, the roller shade doesn't help as the sun just hits that and it transfers the heat. Believe me, get a roll of IR thermal bubble shield at Home Depot or where ever and make a cover for at least the windshield. Now I always try to park with the front facing North.
Thanks for the tip! I can see how that 10' wide windshield could cause that issue.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendingczar View Post
I, We, are picking up a brand new 2017 Alante 31v next week and I am wondering what questions or concerns I should raise before the Demo. It appears that all motor homes are not equal even if they have the same model and year. Thoughts? I have many years of camping, the last two with a class c gulf stream.
Picking up or new 31v feb 10 moving up from class c, will let you know how are inspection goes. We test drove ours on interstate and back roads. We were impressed drove much better then class c. Will have to adjust to driving class a, will be towing geo tracker.
Twelvenaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvenaro View Post
Picking up or new 31v feb 10 moving up from class c, will let you know how are inspection goes. We test drove ours on interstate and back roads. We were impressed drove much better then class c. Will have to adjust to driving class a, will be towing geo tracker.
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #17

Just purchase 31v moved up from 24ft class c, Drives a lot better than my class c. Took it for a short weekend trip towing my geo tracker no problems. Kock on wood lol
Twelvenaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alante 31v