Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Pre cooling fridge

I have a 2017 Precept 31UL with the Norcold fridge, can I run it while driving? We have propane, gas and a converter but I'm confused as to which one to use. It sits in our driveway which is on a bit of a slant so hubby doesn't want to charge it with the generator if he doesn't have to. We are heading out for a week and I have too much food to put in a cooler until it gets cold enough.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #2

First, good choice to not running the fridge when the RV is not level when stationary.

You should level the RV and run the fridge for a full day on shore power and only put pre-cooled food in before you head out.

There are many folks here that run their fridges on propane while underway. The manuals say this is OK.

Personally, I leave the fridge on as long as my TT is level and stationary (while camping and at home). I close the propane tanks when underway.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #3

You can run it on either propane or electric if your camper is 1) level and 2) plugged in...3) you have propane to burn (duh ) It's up to you which to use... It makes sense if you are 'plugged in' that you would want to use electricity... this is what the 'Auto' switch on the norcold is for. It will switch to electric if available, and if not, it will run off propane automatically. If your electric is coming in from a generator, that works fine. The fridge doesn't care where the power is coming from.

The bigger issue is 'hubby doesn't want to charge it with the generator'... This is kind of a moot point because unless you level your RV, you shouldn't be running the fridge at all.

If you don't have shore power (or a running generator) running into the camper - you have to use propane. You want your camper to be level regardless. Both propane and electric operation require this.

The only time you should run your fridge when your camper is not 'level' is when you are on the road, driving as this keeps things sloshing around enough to prevent any problems with the fridge. If you can't park on the street to 'pre pack', you'll probably have to get by with putting your fridge items in at the last minute, turn it on, and hit the road.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

Over the years, we have typically pre-cooled the fridge about 1/2 day before loading up the cold food. We have found that adding cold food just prior to liftoff and just as we turn on the fridge is ok as a second choice. The fridge usually requires 12-24 hours to stabilize its internal temperature. But it helps significantly to add cold and frozen food to cool it down very quickly. Just be prepared for the frozen stuff to thaw a bit around the edges for a short while. So, ice can melt a bit and then freeze together. Popsicles or ice cream will thaw a bit. And frozen meat or veggies will begin to thaw at the edges as well. But not for long.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #5

Thanks, since I can't get it level for now I'll just have to use coolers. Putting in a cement pad in the back for it so that problem will be solved soon.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Thanks for your post. We have a new 2017 MV29 and the fridge takes forever to cool itself down. I now believe that our former Norcold fridge (different model) was stellar and we became spoiled, as I didn't otherwise know that it might take so long to be fully operational. I will try your suggestions and see if that solves the problem.

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

We have been running the Norcold fridge while driving and at camp in all our RVs over the years and have never had a problem.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #8

I think most RVers do travel with the fridge running on propane. This, despite the warnings that all propane sources should be closed off during travel, especially while refueling the TV or motorhome. This is because the propane feeds an open flame which operates the refrigerant evap system to cool the fridge. Gasoline fumes, in particular, which come in contact with this flame could erupt. Chances are slim, but they do exist. Nonetheless, most RVers do travel with the propane fridge operating, myself included. Same reason it is recommended not to use a cell phone when refueling.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
Thanks for your post. We have a new 2017 MV29 and the fridge takes forever to cool itself down. I now believe that our former Norcold fridge (different model) was stellar and we became spoiled, as I didn't otherwise know that it might take so long to be fully operational. I will try your suggestions and see if that solves the problem.

Kathleen
we installed a small fan in the frig that we attach to the cooling coils. Our frig cools quickly with it, and the temp is very consistent. We actually had to change the setting as it was overcooling with the fan.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #10

Why bother with a cooler. Isn't the fridge already a cooler that will eventually get cold once you turn it on. Seems silly to pack an extra cooler.

We always empty our house refrigerator into the trailer fridge before leaving without precooling the trailer fridge.

I would bet the food stays cooler in the fridge than in a cooler.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post

I would bet the food stays cooler in the fridge than in a cooler.
Not if she's using ice in the cooler and the fridge is off.

ETA - that said, I just move stuff into the fridge right before we bail for wherever we're going and turn the fridge on then.

The cooler is for beer and fish, should I catch any
Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #12

It would be way cooler if we just called the fridge a cooler and the cooler a warmer. Because of course the fridge is actually the cooler because it keeps the food cooler than the cooler. Unless, of course, you put ice in the cooler, in which case in the first few minutes, it's likely cooler than the cooler .... errr .... fridge, which will eventually be cooler than the cooler because the ice runs out. But then, adding more ice to the cooler makes it cooler again, especially if the propane runs out, in which case the fridge is no longer cooler than the cooler. Would be much cooler if the fridge was called the cooler and the cooler was the ... uhhhhh .... nevermind.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
It would be way cooler if we just called the fridge a cooler and the cooler a warmer. Because of course the fridge is actually the cooler because it keeps the food cooler than the cooler. Unless, of course, you put ice in the cooler, in which case in the first few minutes, it's likely cooler than the cooler .... errr .... fridge, which will eventually be cooler than the cooler because the ice runs out. But then, adding more ice to the cooler makes it cooler again, especially if the propane runs out, in which case the fridge is no longer cooler than the cooler. Would be much cooler if the fridge was called the cooler and the cooler was the ... uhhhhh .... nevermind.

Where's Gilda Radnor when you need her?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Not if she's using ice in the cooler and the fridge is off.

ETA - that said, I just move stuff into the fridge right before we bail for wherever we're going and turn the fridge on then.

The cooler is for beer and fish, should I catch any
You could use that same ice and put it in the fridge for the same effect and still not have to pack a cooler.

They are both just insulated boxes.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru297 View Post
You could use that same ice and put it in the fridge for the same effect and still not have to pack a cooler.

They are both just insulated boxes.
Yeah, but no thanks. I take a cooler usually anyway. The ice will get used, but I'm not putting it in the fridge. Loose - it will spill all over the place and leak, making a mess in your dry fridge. Kept in the bag, it will take up space I need for food, and still leak.. open the door and you have ice and or water coming out onto your camper floor. That space is all allocated already. Anyway, lots of viable options here... cooler, no cooler, ice, no ice... I think the issue has been addressed for the OP. My suggestion was just to pack up the fridge before you bail, and be done with it. Probably don't need 8 other options.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #16

Since we are getting into this at multiple levels I would like to point out that the OP said they were going to pour some "cement" to put the coach on. I hope they mix some sand, gravel and water with the cement to make it concrete.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Since we are getting into this at multiple levels I would like to point out that the OP said they were going to pour some "cement" to put the coach on. I hope they mix some sand, gravel and water with the cement to make it concrete.
They should probably use asphalt instead.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #18

I freeze three square gallon ice cream buckets and a 1/2 gallon milk jug and put them in the freezer and fridge around all the other food to start and by the time we get to the camp ground the fridg is cold and the ice maker ice making ice. Then you can use the blocks of ice for your beer cooler outside through out the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Well reading this post is 5 min of my life I'll never get back....but I did find dust devil to be truly insightful!

I hafta ask the OP though why don't you just put your leveling jacks down on the coach and turn on the refer a day ahead of your departure?

2016 Eagle 321RSTS. MorRyde pin box. 12cu ft refer. Slide toppers and second awning.

2014 Silverado Duramax. Crew cab short box. Reese Titan 16K slider. Air bags.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Grandpa View Post
Well reading this post is 5 min of my life I'll never get back....but I did find dust devil to be truly insightful!

I hafta ask the OP though why don't you just put your leveling jacks down on the coach and turn on the refer a day ahead of your departure?
Insightful, yes. But what it's worth, I dunno, LOL!

As for the levelers, it sounds as if the OP's driveway is way too steep for that to be a help. The level concrete pad idea looks to be their best solution. Appears that's what they are working on.