Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Precept 31 ul Toad

I am thinking of getting a newer vehicle for a toad. Perhaps a 12,13 or14 Honda CRV at about 3200 lbs.
Does anyone have experience with towing this kind of weight with the 31 ul's short wheelbase.
I have been pricing all of the Blue ox components and it seems to be in the $2400 range for the components not including installation.
If you all think this is a good combo please let me know before I go to the local Honda store and try to get them work up a package deal for the car, tow parts and installation. I thought they could just send it over to the body shop for installation of wiring and the base plate.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Ken
kjtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #2

kj, just my opinion. I tow a 2015 Equinox. The Dingy Report reported it at 3600 lbs. I had it weighed after base plate installation at 4020 lbs, well under the 5000 lbs. I have Blue Ox Avanta and face plate, love the quality, tows well. I'm going to guess that your RV dealer installs many more base plates than an automobile dealer. I would have your RV dealer do the installation and recommend a drop bracket if necessary. In the event you need service on the coach/tow system, you have one guy to go to. Your Precept will tow that CRV like it wasn't even there. Good luck and happy trails.

Bob
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

Bob
Thanks for the input.
I see your point for the dealer to do the install. Just a little worried about them running the wiring harness for the brake / turn signals. I guess some questions to them will be in order.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #4

kj, do a search on the Jayco forums and iRV2.com. There are many combinations you will find. One caution on choosing the vehicle to tow 4 down..........not all vehicles can be towed 4 down. Before you buy find out for sure that it will work. You can't always believe the car dealer...unless of course they are willing to put in writing that "X" vehicle will tow.
Bob is right on.......unless a car dealer is also a RV dealer, they don't deal with base plates and putting connections on.
Do a Google search of makers of base plates: Roadmaster, Blue Ox, Ready Brute, etc. Then do a dealer search through their website. I'll bet you will be able to find a trailer shop near you if your RV dealer does not install.
Our Wrangler is about 4200# & we've towed for about 7500 miles. Any vehicle you tow will be somewhat noticeable because you are towing with a gas engine which does not have the torque of a diesel.
Last thing.........be sure to investigate the braking system you will need to have installed on your "toad".
Good luck,
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

Darrell
You continue to be a great source of information. I am trying to get set up for next spring.
Thanks again
Ken
Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 PM   #6

Ken, congratulations on doing your research and planning ahead. I am happy that I can help provide some answers. Please understand the forums provide a tremendous amount of info that has provided a great education to me. I am simply paying it forward and ask the same of others.
These RVs can provide wonderful memories for many families. If we can help each other over some of the "bumps in the road" with system failures then we all gain.
I was once told that 80% of the problems found in RVs are simple fixes.......diy things or proper preventive maintenance.
So, think simple before you think catastrophic when something quits or malfunctions.
Enjoy,
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:27 AM   #7

Ken - You'll find that there is no absolute answer on the topic of baseplate and braking system. Generally through my research I found the difference between say Roadmaster and Blue Ox to be minor.

I chose the Blue Ox because it's choice of most members of the local RV Club I joined, plus Blue Ox will lube & service the bar for about $30 at the Tampa RV Show that I attend here annually. The Avail is probably overkill for my Ford Fusion Hybrid, but the difference in price was minimal and it gives me more than enough capacity and is a bit longer so making tighter turns with the tow is a breeze. I also chose the Stay N Play Duo braking system because I didn't want to have to attach a portable braking system (like Brake Buddy) every time and again others recommended the system.

My research also showed that the pricing and installation costs from dealer to dealer was very comparable. Like Darrell and other said, DON'T have a car dealer install it. I looked for a nearby authorized installation facility that I felt I could trust to do a good job and warranty their work coupled with experience installing on my type of vehicle.

As it turned out I could not find ANY within a 100 miles who had a lot of experience with the Fusion Hybrid, so I went with the former and as it turned out, I needed to go back a few times to tweak the breaking system's sensitivity and they were more than accommodating.

Don't cheap out on this so you don't have to worry about it and can just enjoy the adventure!

McGarrett
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #8

We have a CRV AWD. Tows well and has served us well. We did disconnect and drive it separately going from Zion to Cedar Breaks and also on I70 near Vail and Breckenridge on our way to Denver. Between the air temps and the grade, the Precept did not like the toad on the back.
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

We have a CR-V toad and it rides great with the Prescept. Have done some steep grades and flat travels and can't say we felt any differance.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote