Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Precept 31UL black holding tank question

hi all, we have owned/rented many MH in the past and just bought a Precept 31ul MH. We have noticed that the black holding tank seems to fill up rather quickly compared to past MH. Does anyone else have this problem?
Does anyone know if in the Precept if more than just the toilet goes into the black tank - ie maybe the bathroom sink? Is there any way to check?
And if its just the sensor that is inaccurate, how can you manually check the actual level of the tank?
thanks
nancyandkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Short of getting a plumbing diagram from Jayco, the only to know if something else is connected to your black tank is to test it directly.

If you are at a location with full hookups, fill and dump your black tank. Put a clear adapter between your hose and the outlet (we have one of these http://www.amzn.com/B000BUU5T0 that we use for the purpose). Leave the valve open and move around your MH turning on each faucet one-by one. If you see any new water running through the adapter, there's your culprit.

We have some friends who had a Coachman travel trailer with an outdoor kitchen sink that was plumbed to the black tank, so it wouldn't be out of the question.

I always use the adapter when dumping the tanks so I can know when the black tank is running clean while flushing.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

I have noticed that I dump my black tank more often than I use to. I attributed it to the fact that the toilet uses much more water per flush than the last two motor homes I owned. I consider this an advantage in terms of keeping my black tank clean and order free. But that is easy for me to say, I don’t boon dock much. But the last time I did use my fresh water tank, I ran my fresh water through the sinks to speed up the process of breaking camp. The fresh water only ran out the grey flush valve.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
You can check the black tank manually by shutting down the water pump and open the toilet bowel valve look down with a flashlight.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Hi Nancyandkenn, Our sensor seems to show more content than is actually in the black tank. Like Bob's C class said, dumping it more often helps keep it cleanerEven when the senor indicates 2/3 full, I believe in ours, we are not any where near full. We have dry camped for as many as 7 days that did not fill the black tank. Just the 2 of us. Also, anytime we dumb the black tank, we use the black tank flush.
I had questions about the plumbing and what flows into the black tank. Jayco sent me the diagram and they also stated the only content that goes to the black tank is from the toilet. I will see if I can locate the diagram and post it.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote