Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #1

Precept 31UL swaying

We had decided on the Precept 29UM but someone purchased it the day before we were scheduled for our test drive. My husband test drove the 31UL instead but was very uncomfortable with the handling. He felt like it swayed a lot. We were considering traveling out of state to purchase one but don't want to go to that trouble if the 29UM handles the same way. Can anyone address this issue? Is it something peculiar to the 31UL or is this the nature of all Class A motorhomes? This is our first venture into purchasing an RV.

Thanks!
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #2

Wanda we purchased a used 2014 31 UL in April I was not impressed with the handling at all. I've driven 45' coaches and 40' school buses. This thing was ALL over the road.
I took it to a place that aligned it, greased the King Pins and tightened the Stabilizer bars by moving them to the other position Ford provides. For less than $300. It has improved tremendously, no more wandering, and with passing semis I just hold tight but it no longer goes where it wants to go.
From my understanding gas coaches have their own set of handling issues they will never handle like a much heavier, air suspension diesel pusher.
But they're far cheaper to purchase and maintain, so for us we will probably add a Steer Safe for peace of mind, should a front tire blow, and learn to live with the far from perfect handling. This thing handles like cars from the 70's, we kept them on the road so I'm working hard to do the same for this.
I do most of the driving and it does well enough. On interstates I set the cruise at 65, unless its very windy then 60 to 63. On 2 lane 55 mph roads it does quite well.
Best of luck, Mary
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:10 AM   #3

I am thinking of adding air bags to the rear suspension. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
randycurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 AM   #4

I added a SafeTPlus steering stabilizer and it improved the handling. Although pricey I recommend it.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #5

Precept 31UL swaying

Mary, Thanks for the reply and your thoughts on this issue. We were unaware of the SafeTPlus steering stabilizer so if we do purchase a motorhome we will look into that device. Wanda
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malu View Post
Wanda we purchased a used 2014 31 UL in April I was not impressed with the handling at all. I've driven 45' coaches and 40' school buses. This thing was ALL over the road.
I took it to a place that aligned it, greased the King Pins and tightened the Stabilizer bars by moving them to the other position Ford provides. For less than $300. It has improved tremendously, no more wandering, and with passing semis I just hold tight but it no longer goes where it wants to go.
From my understanding gas coaches have their own set of handling issues they will never handle like a much heavier, air suspension diesel pusher.
But they're far cheaper to purchase and maintain, so for us we will probably add a Steer Safe for peace of mind, should a front tire blow, and learn to live with the far from perfect handling. This thing handles like cars from the 70's, we kept them on the road so I'm working hard to do the same for this.
I do most of the driving and it does well enough. On interstates I set the cruise at 65, unless its very windy then 60 to 63. On 2 lane 55 mph roads it does quite well.
Best of luck, Mary
Yep, pretty much X2 on what Mary said. I seldom use the cruise and the majority of the time run 60-62 interstate. It depends on my comfort level, road conditions and mother nature.
We added the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. We also added a rear trac bar that all but ended the tail trying to pass the nose effect we had from new.
As Mary said, it is the nature of the beast...unfortunate that Ford doesn't care about providing a safer, more comfortable handling vehicle for recreational use. But, they are the only supplier for Class A gas........why should they make them right?
It really doesn't make any difference which brand motorhome you choose. The latest Motorhome mag (September 2015) has an article on Winnebago's Adventurer 34' gas....of course with the Ford chasis: "As is typical of Ford chasis motorhomes, the drive was definitely not the best part of our trip--the V-10 engine is harsh and noisy, the brakes felt only adequate and the steering was both vague and notchy at times. Keeping the Adventurer in its own lane with the prevailing desert winds was an adventure unto itself, requiring constant attention."

In spite of the short comings, we have over 8600 miles after a year and & 2 months and we really enjoy our "Bertha". Good luck with your search.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 PM   #7

Added the air bags. Allowed getting the rig up the driveway with full tank's of water and gas without dragging the tail. Stopped the 9" drop at the hitch with tank's full and reduced the tail sway.
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

We too added a steering stabilizer. My husband (designated driver) feels it made a great difference especially when an 18 wheeler passes by on the highway
CamperNurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
precept 29um, precept 31ul