Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Precept 31UL Weight Specifications

So far unable to determine CCC, GAWR and GAW for both axles. Have posted emails to Jayco twice now and still awaiting a response.

Maybe there is a current owner out there that has weighed their new motorhome. Looking for

CCC
GAWR Front Axle
GAW Front Axle, either empty or loaded with your belongings. Would be nice to know how much water and fuel and # of passengers at time of weighing.
GAWR Rear Axle
GAW Rear Axle, either empty or loaded with your belongings. Would be nice to know how much water and fuel and # of passengers at time of weighing.

As many RVers may have experienced, there are units from some manufacturers straight from the factory that although there is the appearance of acceptable CCC, there might not be much capacity on one or more of the axles. Looking for gross axle weight ratings for both axles as well actual axle weight to gain an appreciation of the carrying capacity left in the unit per axle.

Any owners who have or might be willing to weight their new Precepts would be greatly appreciated.

I will continue to try and press Jayco and the local dealer for the same information. I have sent two emails to Jayco as well verbally asked and followed up with email to local dealer. After waiting a week for a response, I decided to reach out to existing Jayco owners who might be able to provide some insights. These statistics may influence our decision to purchase a new Precept 31UL.

Thanks in advance
Jonathan
BBJonbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM   #2

I did get some good information from Jayco that others may find useful but not everything that I was after. I was hoping to get GAW for the typical unit as shipped from the factory to appreciate the available CCC per axle. I really was trying to verify what carrying capacity is available per axle as there have been many smaller Class As and Cs that have very little capacity straight from the factory.

Maybe a current Precept owner can weigh their RV and provide front and rear axle weights to help the buying process of candidate new owners.

Thought I would share the email response from Jayco in case it is of some value to others as it provides more than the website or brochure.

Jonathan,

The axel rating are:

WEIGHTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
GVWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .18000
GCWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .23000 GAWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7000 Front GAWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12000 Rear

That's all the info I have, I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 02-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJonbo View Post
I did get some good information from Jayco that others may find useful but not everything that I was after. I was hoping to get GAW for the typical unit as shipped from the factory to appreciate the available CCC per axle. I really was trying to verify what carrying capacity is available per axle as there have been many smaller Class As and Cs that have very little capacity straight from the factory.

Maybe a current Precept owner can weigh their RV and provide front and rear axle weights to help the buying process of candidate new owners.

Thought I would share the email response from Jayco in case it is of some value to others as it provides more than the website or brochure.

Jonathan,

The axel rating are:

WEIGHTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
GVWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .18000
GCWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .23000 GAWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .7000 Front GAWR: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .12000 Rear

That's all the info I have, I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Ray
I looked at one on my dealers lot and the yellow tag stated combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1784 lbs and a full tank of freshwater weighs 593 lbs counts as cargo. The weight of the unit as it left the factory was 16216 lbs. Hope this helps.
fireman2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Local dealer was great and weighed an existing 2014 Precept for me. However, the numbers were less than favourable and I am concerned whether the rear GAWR will be exceeded once the RV is loaded up.

Here are the weights from an existing 2014 unit.

GVWR.......: 18,000 LB
UVW........: 15,970 LB (with Full Fuel & Propane Tanks)
CCC........: 2,030 LB (assuming GAWR not exceeded)

GAWR Front.: 7,000 LB
GAW Front..: 4,530 LB
...........: 2,470 LB excess capacity

GAWR Rear..: 12,000 LB
GAW Rear...: 11,440 LB
...........: 560 LB

This is with empty water, grey and black tanks. Water alone could add almost 600LBs. This is without passengers or any personal cargo. Definitely lots would go in the kitchen and a fair bit in the bed room as well in the storage underneath.

I think the Rear GAWR could easily be exceeded and suspect once I would load it up it definitely be exceeded. I suspect it would be very close or exceeded just by filling water tanks and have some black and grey in the tanks. I have seen some other RV manufactures with F53 chassis with 24K GVWR and assume GAWR of axles increased accordingly. Not sure why the F53 on the Jayco has so much less capacity and why they went with it.

Would anyone else be concerned with only 560LBs of capacity available on the rear axle for a unit direct from the factory?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 PM   #5

I just came across an in-depth review of a 2014 Precept 31UL in the March 2014 copy of FMC Magazine released after I started this thread.

The unit reviewed in the article had very different weights and far more promising. Not sure if there were significant changes in the 2015 model year that may have made the unit at my local dealer much heavier. The particular 2014 Precept 31UL reviewed had far more favourable specifications and if new units were close to those numbers I would have far less concerns.

The article can be found here
http://www.fmcmagazine.com/motorhome...o-precept-31ul