Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Precept ongoing issues-CS person not any help!

When we purchased our Precept 31UL last August after trading in a Melbourne, our first road trip was a total disaster. List is too long, but main issue is the overall handling and ride. Constant shaking, swaying, like riding in a school bus. Took to dealer they did an alignment and other adjustments. Thought everything was fine. Our last trip to Texas it appears that the issues stated above still exist. Can't even read a paper while sitting at the table because of the constant vibrations and the cabinets kept coming open. The cabinet with the TV in bedroom came open and all of the DVD's flew out!!! Went back to dealer and Jayco agreed to send us to a Ford Dealership in Texas to check the ride and the chassis. Overall conclusion, the length of this unit is to long for the wheel base. Jayco states that they do not "weld" any framing, but I learned that the frame from the back axle to the bumper is welded. Also if you stand in the bedroom and look out the front windshield the unit is very "back heavy" and the nose is slightly higher.

Bottom line, customer service basically is saying that because the chassis checked out fine then other issues are under warranty. I asked why so many people were adding safe-t-bars, etc. because purchasing something over $100,000. should have that already. Still waiting to hear back from them and BTW, they are putting all of the responsibility on my dealer!!!!
Pgamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #2

I have a 35UN in service at Jayco, so far I have nothing but a fantastic experience with everyone I have talked to at Jayco. I am sorry you are having so many issues with your coach. Best of luck getting it right for you.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #3

Well as of today, I have been totally blown off from Jaycoand my dealership. Jayco insists that having no issues with the chassis basically I'm the problem. Yes, a longer unit could hold up better but we were downsizing from a 38ft. Bad construction all around. I'm going back to Itasca!
Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgamel View Post
Well as of today, I have been totally blown off from Jaycoand my dealership. Jayco insists that having no issues with the chassis basically I'm the problem. Yes, a longer unit could hold up better but we were downsizing from a 38ft. Bad construction all around. I'm going back to Itasca!
Have you taken it to a scale to see if it is loaded properly. Most bad handling is do to not enough weight on the front axle.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

No. Most of the storage, gas, water tank are in the back. I only have under storage but the insides are not that big.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #6

Weight

Do yourself a big favor....weigh all four corners.
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Where would I do that?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #8

Scales

Search for a local truck scale in your area. Weigh each corner.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:19 PM   #9

We are taking it in tomorrow to a Piolet station. What do I need to look for about the weight measures?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

Look at your axle ratings. Then look at the right and left front weights and right and left rear weights. Are they close to equal? Then add the the two front axle together and two rear axle together side to side only and compare them to your axle ratings. Are they close? My coach 2016 31UL drove ok in stock form. I did add the rear track lock, front steering stabilizer and Centramatic wheel balancers and it is noticeably better. I do load the two front side storage with heavy items. Tool chest and air compressor. Hope this makes sense!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

How much additional did you pay
Old 05-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #12

Add ons

The trac bar is Blue Ox. The steering stabelizer is Safe T Steer. I do not recall prices but I did find better prices searching the internet. The Centramatics I found a bit cheaper also doing a search. Centramatics eliminated all the vibration and rattles in the front dash. They are worth the price, tires and wheels are balanced constantly above around 28 mph. Safe T Steer lessened the wander, help with cross winds, and according to their literature help control if a front tire blow out occurs. The rear axle trac lock eliminated the side push on passing or being passed by large trucks by 90%+. I can understand the frustration of anybody that goes from their family sedan to this short wheel base coach. It is a entirely different experience and all these add ons should be standard equipment. I like it because I am tired or driving or pulling extra large and long vehicles. We just travel occasionally and not too far from home base. It is like a sport car for me. Good luck and safe travels. Hope I've helped a little bit.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

I can relate having had a 36' Tiffin class A and 30+' class C. Trac bar and steering stabilizer are pretty much a necessary add on with any gas chassis.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:59 PM   #14

Thank you. You did help some, but I agree that this should be standard. We has two Itasca sunrises from 2003 to 2014 and absolutely no problems! If I need to spend out of pocket I'm not going to be happy.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #15

Not necessarily, our Itasca 38ftr never gave use any issues as those we are having now. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #16

Agreed. Our 15 31ul I have installed rear track bar big difference. Centramatic wheel balancers rear. And airlift wireless rear airbags to overcome the sag when full fuel and water. I've drug the rear a couple times before that.
Desertrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

Just thinking out loud here. I bought tires for my TV last year and to make a very long story very short, two of the tires could not be balanced because they were made so out of round resulting in a bounce that could not be fixed. The tire manufacturer and dealer both "blew me off" and thought I was crazy. I purchased a second full set of tires (on my own dime) and now the TV runs perfectly. Anyone wanna buy 4 useless General Tires?

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #18

Please, lets not trash school bus handling and ride. It's far superior to our Precept 31 UL on the Ford chassis. I KID YOU NOT!!!! School buses track straight, no bobbing, weaving or lunging into oncoming traffic like the Ford chassis the Precept sits on.
The short wheelbase, long over hang over the rear wheels is part of the problem of why this thing can't/won't track straight especially in wind or road dips etc.
We've had ours aligned and its apparent some serious money is needed to give this beast some road manners.
Good luck with yours!
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote