Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1

Precept opinions wanted

We are just about to be new Jayco owners....after looking and comparing we have pretty much decided on the 2014 Precept. Would appreciate any input about this unit and/or the Ford chassis.

Al and Marilyn
Cold Spring, MN
al-and-marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #2

Precept

The wife and I thought long and hard and decided not to move up from our 2013 Greyhawk. The Precept had some real advantages such as the great view out the front window, outside entertainment. great space, and fresh water capacity. A small but troubling issue was the lack of electrical outlets in the kitchen. Did not drive it but I bet it is a great ride. Bottom line, not 20 thousand dollars better.
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #3

we, too, are seriously considering the precept

We are moving from a 5th wheel to a class A. We love to stay in state parks, so we need to stay around 30'.....so glad to see several companies going to the shorter gas A. Looked at the ACE and the FR1....liked the idea, but not the manufacturers, so we are thrilled that Jayco has joined this shorter class A...gas......concept. won't be purchasing for another year, so anxious to hear your thoughts.
ccsabathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

We test drove the precept today...then put a deposit on it. We are trading up our 2013 grayhawk Ds and will be our first class A. Hubs likes its turning ratio and that he didn't have to wrangle with the steering wheel. We are both pretty tall and broad shouldered so we really liked the space, length and the easy ride.

We noticed only one outlet in the precept kitchen like Bob noticed too, but that is the only downer we caught.

We hope to have it in the next two or three weeks and plan on taking it on a loop around the country.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 AM   #5

Hi Lakeside - Wondering how the Precept is working out. We're looking at one and would love to know your thoughts now that you've had it a few months. Thank you.
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:05 PM   #6

Precept first trip

We just finished our first camping trip in our 2015 Precept. Awesome
It was hot and muggy out but there was sufficient air coming in the windows. If you need more air than these windows will allow then GO OUTSIDE. When the rain downpour hit us I was glad that the windows didn't open too wide. During the rain we got enough air to be very comfortable. Were there problems, sure but most were minor. Loose mirror, loose windshield wiper, etc. I would have given up two of the TVs if I could have gotten one decent 1080p/120mhz TV. When I brought the unit home there was a terrible wind noise at freeway speeds. I built a small platform for my wife's feet (she's only 5ft2in). The platform was only 3inches tall so it only partially blocked airflow from under the dash. Surprise we did 400+ miles at freeway speeds and there was no, none, nada, wind noise. We were really pleased how quiet this unit was. I wish they hadn't put in a radio that was technologically 2011. Clarion makes a nice unit but they made an even nicer one in 2014. Overall were very pleased with the unit. We traded in our 2011 Montana toy hauler which was a very nice unit, but a little too big for our driveway and it was a little too big for many sites in state parks.
rahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

rahawk: Thank you for the great feedback. The radio is important to us and on the rig we are looking at it has AM/FM, Sirius/XM Bluetooth and a USB port capability in addition to the GPS and backup camera. Is that the same as yours?

I'm told that unless one has an HD antenna, satellite or HD cable service from the park, the picture is going to look poor. Were you using just the digital Antenna that comes with the Precept?

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #8

The radio in our unit is the Clarion NX 501 a 2011 model. It does have sirus capability/Bluetooth/dvd/cd/and 3d GPS. Its just not as easy to use as the newer models. As for the tv its poor quality comes from it being only a 60 hz refresh rate on the screen. In action scenes or sporting events you get "ghosting" around the moving characters. This has to do with the quality of the TV not the signal being received.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

Also the rearview camera is excellent as are the side view cameras.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #10

Thanks again rahawk. Ah, the 60mhz refresh. That is a disappointment.

If you don't mind - a couple of quick questions:

1. What is the model of outside radio and does it have an aux inputs?
2. Did your dealer recommend regular or mid-grade gas? Which have you used?
3. How was the mileage on your first trip?

Thanks you.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #11

1 the outside radio is a detachable face Sony I haven't had time to play wit it yet.
2 Ford recommends 87 octane in the v10 f53 chassis, cheap works for me.
3 We got 8.196 mpg on my first fill up. We did have a full load of fresh water for the entire trip. It was 90 percent freeway and I drove it very gently no faster than 62 mph. We were not towing and ran the generator less than 20 minutes.
405 miles on that trip 49gal.
I should mention that it is the model 31ul with the smaller fridge. The extra pantry makes good storage for food and stuff for our two dogs who fell in love with the large front windshield.

I expect the mileage to drop once it's broken in and I can tow.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM   #12

So we've put a deposit down on a 2015 Precept. We are at about 95% and would move forward after next weekend. We've never owned a motorhome before, and although we've done a ton of research, we want to make sure the lifestyle fits us.

So, as many have suggested, we have rented a similar Class A (Thor Windsport) to spend 3 days at a nearby RV resort. Looking forward to our "test drive".

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how the trip goes. Dw and I are leaving Monday for a week of Ohio state parks.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #14

rahawk - How was your trip? We are going back to the dealer this Thursday to take the plunge and wondering:

1. How it performed for you on your Ohio state park run?
2. Do you know if the radio is truly Sirius/XM ready - meaning just needs a subscription enabled and not some additional equipment?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

You will need a Sirius receiver (scc1 I think) to get Sirius working. To get HD radio you will need the HD radio upgrade kit.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #16

Our trip was good and now I've got my first 1000 miles and no problems. Next week were going up to lake Erie with the toad. I hope the mileage doesn't drop too much. Sirius radio depends on the radio unit they put in your camper my radio is a 2011 version without Sirus. I installed an $11 speed controller on the main fan an it works great. Got it from Amazon and installed by the fan. Part # DROK PWM 12v-40v DC electric motor speed controller. We had to actually use the furnace for two nights. It was much quieter than our other campers. We were used to it by the second night so I don't know how often it ran. Of the four brand new campers we've owned the Precept has the best initial quality of them all.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM   #17

Thanks rahawk. We took the plunge today and signed for Precept. Looking forward to getting started!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #18

i have a 2014 Grewhawk 31FS and the Clarion NX501. i am trying to find the sirus ESN to get sirus hooked up. anyone know how to find it?
wmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanuel View Post
i have a 2014 Grewhawk 31FS and the Clarion NX501. i am trying to find the sirus ESN to get sirus hooked up. anyone know how to find it?
It does not have the Sirius radio installed, it is "Sirius Capable" which just means you can add the Sirius XM SCC1 headless tuner. The Radio is also HD capable but does not include the HD tuner either.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #20

...and Sirius doesn't make the SCC1 anymore. My dealer is in touch with Jayco to find the appropriate new device to enable the Clarion to pickup Sirius. There is a solution I'm told, but don't have the answer yet.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!