Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #1

Precept Passenger's Captain Chair - swivel

The driver's chair swivels around as one would expect. Great place from which to watch the TV - in the 31UL anyway. But I can't see any way to swivel the other chair, so that person sitting there can look toward the couch, even though at first glance the two chairs look identical. There is a short lever arrangement that is a totally different mechanism from what is on the driver's chair, and it doesn't want to move AT ALL! What is going on?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #2

We have a new 2017 Precept 31UL and both seats basically work identically. However, last month when we picked up the Precept at the dealer and did the PDI the one issue we had was that the passenger seat wouldn't swivel. The guy doing the inspection checked it out and it simply turned out that when the factory painted the seat frame they left a glob of paint on the mechanism and all he did was chip it off and it swivels just fine now. You might want to look closely at the "short mechanism" and see if it you have the same problem.
Jday7757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jday7757 View Post
We have a new 2017 Precept 31UL and both seats basically work identically. However, last month when we picked up the Precept at the dealer and did the PDI the one issue we had was that the passenger seat wouldn't swivel. The guy doing the inspection checked it out and it simply turned out that when the factory painted the seat frame they left a glob of paint on the mechanism and all he did was chip it off and it swivels just fine now. You might want to look closely at the "short mechanism" and see if it you have the same problem.
That could well be but, as I look at the weird mechanism, it isn't apparent to me what paint would have to be removed. Everything in that vicinity is painted black.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
That could well be but, as I look at the weird mechanism, it isn't apparent to me what paint would have to be removed. Everything in that vicinity is painted black.
Yes, it is all painted black. I don't know if you really have to remove any paint (although some might chip when you try to work the mechanism) but the dried paint might just have the mechanism stuck and you will have to kind of force it. Again, I don't know if your problem is the same as mine was, but it sure sounds like it.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jday7757 View Post
Yes, it is all painted black. I don't know if you really have to remove any paint (although some might chip when you try to work the mechanism) but the dried paint might just have the mechanism stuck and you will have to kind of force it. Again, I don't know if your problem is the same as mine was, but it sure sounds like it.
It certainly does. . . . Do you happen to know whether the technician had to remove the seat assembly from the floor in order to gain access to the heart of the problem?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
It certainly does. . . . Do you happen to know whether the technician had to remove the seat assembly from the floor in order to gain access to the heart of the problem?
NO, he didn't remove the seat assembly. After we finished the pre-delivery inspection with him we went inside to sign the paperwork and when we finished that he had already fixed it. That's when he told us it had only been dried paint making it stick. So, I think it just took a little muscle to break the paint seal.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:13 AM   #7

We have a 31 UL - and had the same problem - so swivel.. they fixed it at a warranty visit. No problem
papa&punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
MrG

had the same problem (17, 31UL) the locking mechanism was bent so bad the release lever did not move, had to bend the locking tab away for the chair base for it to work...and the electric seat was not plugged in either....
MrG is offline   Reply With Quote