Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #21

Wheelha, If you need some contact info at Jayco, Message me, I dealt with the Customer Service Manager for the Motorhome division and the director of the service center, they both were a pleasure to deal with, They made sure I was 110% satisfied before I left the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #22

2016 precept 31ul. We bought in may and after 5 days we probably felt the handling was bad. Since then we have driven about 6500 miles on various trips and we feel the handling is pretty good. Granted I haven't been been to the rockies yet ( i used to live there and know how the wind is) but i do know that a 32'x11.5' box is going to catch wind and have some issues. Probably a DP handles that better but for the money I think this coach is pretty good.

For the issues with trim and so forth my dealer resolved most of the issues BEFORE we drove off. They had us stay over night there and next morning any issues or questions were addressed. After a couple of short weekend trips we gave them a list of some minor issues that came up and were addressed.

I do agree that workmanship may not be what it used to be but i believe that dealers who do not "bitch" to the manufacturer and dealers that do not "prep" are not working for their money. Have been in various business as owner and also QC mgr for large corp and i know that the last people who touch a product before the sale HAVE to do their job otherwise customers are not happy. Sounds like your dealer needs to address some issues regarding their check out of units before customer arrives.

Jayco if you're listening factory needs to step up QC as well
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:45 AM   #23

Handling is a subjective thing, unless you are a veteran of many different coaches, in which case your views and opinions may be somewhat more objective due to the wide range of experience. It goes without saying that motorhomes don't handle like automobiles, or even pickup trucks. They handle like motorhomes, and different people have widely differing tolerance levels for the fact that these are very large and heavy vehicles.

Having said that, the handling of most any unit is dependent upon how careful the manufacturer, dealer, and owner are about geometry and alignment, tire selection, suspension ride-vs-control (often the ride suffers as control is enhanced, and vice versa). It's nearly impossible for any manufacturer to please everyone all the time.

The fact that Jayco and many other manufacturers leave the alignment up to either the dealer or the new owner is just a symptom of the industry and its standards. The motorhome manufacturer has to decide for themselves what level of expense they are willing to put into any of their units, and what the market will bear in terms of cost and inconvenience.

Not everyone's idea of "good" handling is the same, and not everyone's idea of a "good" deal is the same. Choose carefully.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #24

If you've been reading this forum for a while, you will see a common theme develop: The stock 2014-2016 Precept 31UL does not drive or handle well out of the box. Maybe that is why Jayco upgraded from the 18k F53 chassis to the 22K chassis for 2017. On the other hand, my 18K F53 2015 Precept 29UM handles like a dream completely stock. I have had an excellent experience with mine as far as reliability is concerned. Almost 19K miles. But then again, I have a high tolerance to small issues. My driver window rattles incessantly but I tune it out. My dealer is awesome: Camper Corral in Madison MS. And only 1.5 miles from my home.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #25

Going from Class C to Class A

New 6 months to RVing with a 2016 26XD and already thinking need to trade up to Class A Precept. Want more livening space 50 Amp 2 AC larger BR etc. Without increasing length too much. Was fearful of drivability originally, so talked myself into the Class C and once I got tire pressure right no problem. So when I started looking at upgrade to Class A and the Precept had all the additional drivability enhancements::1 Bilstein shock, 2 Computer Driveshaft,3Jounce Bumpers,4 Front and rear sway, 5 Additional heavy duty Rear sway thought it would be great choice. After reading this thread my original fears are back. Any one else move from C to A in Jayco?
Nighthawk65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #26

I own a 2016 31UL Precept and love it. With a few mods like TST tire monitors and Steering Stabilizer it rides like a car. I love it.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #27

I bought a used 2015 31 UL this spring with less than 5000 miles on it. I do not have any of the handling issues that others complain about it goes great down the road. I'm glad I chose the class A we were on the fence with a 29 MV. Favorite thing about it the 81 gallon fuel tank excess water and the captains chairs upfront being part of your living room and the large picture window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #28

My Precept 35UN drives great, like a luxury sedan. When I tow a car on a dolly I don't even know it's back there at all, I have to check on it every now and then with the rear camera. The only thing I did was raise the tire pressure to 100lbs, She tracks beautifully on the highway. cannot wait to take it from NJ to Yellowstone and back next July/August.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 AM   #29

Just completed a 1400 mile trip in our 31UL. I have made no modifications to the suspension and run 90 psi on all tires. Rides like a dream at 62 mph. But like all of these MH's I have found another concern. I was in North Georgia with some hills and inclines and bottomed out going into a grocery store parking lot. It bent the trim but did not crack the fiberglass at the rear of the coach. Too much coach behind the rear axle and not enough angle to minimize bottoming out.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelha View Post
Yes, the dealership was definitely lacking in their prep. Problems were pointed out to them prior to our picking up the motorhome. Sadly, we are inexperienced and believed our salesman, when he told us the motorhome was "made by the Amish." They told us to take it, unrepaired, drive it and find if there were any other issues, which they would fix at the same time. BIG MISTAKE. The Precept has been at the dealership since the beginning of June. We have used it only five days total. Summer is gone. We are paying for a storage space and a monthly note on the vehicle and have not had the use of it. The warranty days are ticking away.
Sounds like you need a new dealer. Any dealer who sits on warranty repairs the entire summer of a new customer's rig is asking to be replaced. Begging to be replaced. They will likely blame it on Jayco, but I'd bet dimes to donuts it's the dealer not staying on top of their service list.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #31

There's a great example right here in this thread of two owners of similar units who take very different approaches to the handling of their chassis. Abarkl and I have units built on the same chassis. His is about a foot longer than mine, but mostly everything else is pretty equivalent. His has some really cool enhancements to the suspension and steering systems in his rig, and he has invested a lot of time and money to make it handle the way he wants it to handle. Mine has no enhancements save an air spring kit on the rear axle which usually comes from the factory, to boost load capability. I've done nothing more than adjust alignment and tire pressures to affect handling, because I'm very happy with the chassis as it sits. Abarkl wanted something that handled much better than stock.

Two different customers with two very different rigs underneath it all. Both are quite happy with the state of affairs. Impossible for any manufacturer to please everyone with a single design or build.

BTW, full disclosure: One of the reasons I bought a Super C is that they are built on a Medium Duty truck chassis, and they tend to handle a bit better out of the box than most Class A units under $300k. They don't necessarily ride better, but they steer better, and control better on the highway, especially with a toad.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
Just completed a 1400 mile trip in our 31UL. I have made no modifications to the suspension and run 90 psi on all tires. Rides like a dream at 62 mph. But like all of these MH's I have found another concern. I was in North Georgia with some hills and inclines and bottomed out going into a grocery store parking lot. It bent the trim but did not crack the fiberglass at the rear of the coach. Too much coach behind the rear axle and not enough angle to minimize bottoming out.
We learned many years ago, with another brand of motorhomes and just the fact that many of them have a long tail beyond the rear wheels, to take many driveways at an angle to avoid dropping the rear end to the ground.
In most cases it was the just the extra bracing on the bottom of the hitch that would drag but it never sounds good.
The bigger concern is watching for tail swing when moving forward and turning in tight spaces. And remembering there is really no backing up with a towed except for maybe six feet in a straight line before its front wheels and the tow bar have jackknifed.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
We looked for the better part of 2 years before deciding on a Precept. We love all the standard features you get in the precept, Our preference was the 35UN, They stopped making it for 2017, It has a great kitchen, lots of room, Great storage, One awesome windshield, Drives beautifully. I could go on and on. We looked extensively and really felt we got the most bang for the buck with the Precept. And Jayco's Customer Service has been nothing but spectacular.
Good luck in your quest!
Nick
Thanks, Nick, for your very positive comments about your Jayco. The company believes in their RVs and has gone above and beyond in backing their vehicles. You made a great choice.
wheelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #34

Mike, your positive experience with your Precept has been so helpful. Thank you for all your great advice. I wish you and all the Jayco RV family happy trails and many, many safe miles in a product that Jayco believes in and stands behind.
wheelha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #35

2016 Precept 35S

Love our new coach. Rides great, very comfortable and stable. We've had it for a little under two weeks ... we've had a few quality issues

1. Toilet was placed super crooked (that was strange and very obvious) but John straightened it up.
2. Mud flaps only had two screws in each so John had to beef them up
3. Microwave not level (Camping World in Kaysville, Utah Repaired, sort of)
4. It seems like every single screw and bold in the entire coach was loose - John is going from front to back tightening them up
5. Bed flap was held on with only two 12" piano hinges that tore lose the first day. John bought a heavy duty piano hinge that fits the width of the bed.
6. Metal pole that holds bed up was very weak and bent the first day we got it, John replaced it with a heavy duty pole and is thinking of adding one more.
7. Floor had several bubbles (Camping World Repaired).
8. Counter finish buffed off - strange (Camping World in Kaysville, Utah Repaired)

Does not seem like whoever put this awesome RV together was very invested in quality but luckily my husband is a "Wrench" and has been able to go through it, find problems and fix them - except the large ones which we took to Camping World.

Love the large kitchen work space, king bed, bathroom is great, our unit is absolutely beautiful For the most part we are very happy with our new ride and look forward to many happy miles ...
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #36

Welcome to the Forum JaqueTanis! We also have a 35S that we took delivery on in April. We had some issues with ours, some we had the dealer fix under warranty, Jayco paid for a front end alignment and I have fixed everything else as well as some mods. I took the coach into a truck tire shop and had the inner valve stems rotated to have them point toward the the hole on the outside wheel, added a surge suppressor and monitoring gauge, added two huge group J-185 batteries, and added compartments inside drawers and cabinets. Have your husband check all the electrical connections in the battery/ propane compartment as most of our connections were loose. I also pulled all the drawers out and vacuumed all the construction debris out from behind the cabinets and upon doing that found the retractable TV mechanism was crushing and cutting into a bundle of A/V cables so I re-routed and bundled all the cables in that cabinet. Under the coach I found wires dangling all over and spent quite a bit of time and an entire bag of cable ties securing them. All the drawer handles were not level so I leveled them all. Nothing major to fix but took up some of my time. The worst problem was finding water in the outside TV cabinet which the dealer could not diagnose or fix so I did. The flange of the cabinet that goes over the skin of the coach was not caulked very well so I put layers of silicone behind the flange and then around the top and sides of the flange. The weirdest problem was the drivers seat had the arm rests too high so I had the dealer replace with a new seat with the arm rests at the correct elevation. We (luv2camp is my wife) really enjoy the coach and have had 6 trips out this year and more to come.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:56 AM   #37

I am getting ready to set up my Precept 31UL for towing a 2015 Ford Fiesta with the manual transmission. Does anybody have suggestions on equipment and the use of Readybrake?
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Welcome to the Forum JaqueTanis! We also have a 35S that we took delivery on in April. We had some issues with ours, some we had the dealer fix under warranty, Jayco paid for a front end alignment and I have fixed everything else as well as some mods. I took the coach into a truck tire shop and had the inner valve stems rotated to have them point toward the the hole on the outside wheel, added a surge suppressor and monitoring gauge, added two huge group J-185 batteries, and added compartments inside drawers and cabinets. Have your husband check all the electrical connections in the battery/ propane compartment as most of our connections were loose. I also pulled all the drawers out and vacuumed all the construction debris out from behind the cabinets and upon doing that found the retractable TV mechanism was crushing and cutting into a bundle of A/V cables so I re-routed and bundled all the cables in that cabinet. Under the coach I found wires dangling all over and spent quite a bit of time and an entire bag of cable ties securing them. All the drawer handles were not level so I leveled them all. Nothing major to fix but took up some of my time. The worst problem was finding water in the outside TV cabinet which the dealer could not diagnose or fix so I did. The flange of the cabinet that goes over the skin of the coach was not caulked very well so I put layers of silicone behind the flange and then around the top and sides of the flange. The weirdest problem was the drivers seat had the arm rests too high so I had the dealer replace with a new seat with the arm rests at the correct elevation. We (luv2camp is my wife) really enjoy the coach and have had 6 trips out this year and more to come.
If you need to adjust/calibrate your automatic levelers my husband found a site that says how to do it, he just got through doing ours
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:54 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by preceptjoe View Post
I am getting ready to set up my Precept 31UL for towing a 2015 Ford Fiesta with the manual transmission. Does anybody have suggestions on equipment and the use of Readybrake?
Confirm the vehicle's owner's manual has the instructions for towing behind a recreational vehicle.
If the vehicle manufacturer approves flat towing or four down, or requires two wheels up or four wheels up, contact the companies of the industry to properly equip a vehicle for towing such as;
Blue Ox
Demco
Remco
Roadmaster

If four down is approved as we prefer, the equipment needed would include;
Towed vehicle base plate, light kit, supplemental braking system, Tow bar,
and sometimes a hitch drop adapter for the hitch of the motorhome to ensure level operation with the towed vehicle, and finally, the proper wiring adapter on the motorhome to match the needs of the towed vehicle.

P.S. The 2015 Ford Fiesta manual transmission (ST) has not been approved for four-down towing according to this popular guide, but check the owner's manual. The guide also has lots of valuable information regarding recreational vehicle (Dinghy) towing;
Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
P.S. The 2015 Ford Fiesta manual transmission (ST) has not been approved for four-down towing according to this popular guide, but check the owner's manual.
Huge apology.
After reading the Dinghy Guide again it appears as though the 2015 Ford Fiesta manual transmission non-ST model is towable as is four down.
Most manual transmissions are, and going way back in time we once owned a 1992.

The assumption that ST was a designation for Standard Transmission was a falsehood.
The owner's manual is the official guide as it is directly from the manufacturer and if the vehicle is under a warranty there would be a great risk to that by violating any recommended usage.
Once again, I apologize for spreading misinformation and only wish my original post was open for Edit.