Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer review

I'm posting here instead of the Precept forum to insure a larger class A audience.

Took my 2016 Precept 35S in to STP Monday morning for installation of a steering stabilizer. I had originally purchased a pre-owned model 41-180 but learned that the return spring rate was light for a 37' coach.

I learned on Monday morning that Ford altered the steering geometry on late model 2016 F53 chassis by giving it a greater lock to lock distance. None of the 41 series stabilizers will work correctly as they do not have enough stroke length. STP will be offering a new 51 series stabilizer that has enough stroke length to work with the new Ford steering.

STP installed a new 51-230 stabilizer yesterday morning and I test drove my coach on I-20. It took 4 adjustments to get the stabilizer perfectly centered. Driving my 35S now is like driving a car, smooth steering with little to no input to the wheel. I drove hands off for 1/2 mile which was impossible in the stock configuration.

Hooked up my Wrangler toad and left Austell, GA for Myrtle Beach, SC. With my toad the steering wheel was back to requiring a fair amount of input to stay centered in my lane for the first few miles. The road was extremely rough on the eastbound side and I was beginning to think I had wasted a great deal of money.

As we proceeded east things got better. We left Austell with a full tank of gas, 3/4 tank of fresh water and just under 1/2 tank of black and grey water. The I20 road surface improved and the rear weight grew lighter as we consumed fuel. The farther we drove the steering wheel would require less input and having a good road surface makes a tremendous difference. The steering is much improved also below 60mph. At 50 mph it was back to a car like feel on good road surfaces.

At this point I am happy with my purchase, it was worth the money. Next mod will be the cheap handling fix which I hope will improve the body roll somewhat.
When we leave Myrtle Beach next week I'll not be carrying as much liquid weight other than fuel.

Would I recommend a stabilizer? Yes, without a doubt. I just need to think think about less weight in the rear and load more to the front.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #2

Well I'm not happy. I checked their website and it listed the 41 series for our coach so that is what I ordered and is now on my workbench. I'm going to call them and find out if they will swap it for me.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Vicr,

Do you have the new front end? Need to confirm that before you call. Speak with John Miles, very knowledgeable. I also met the Chairman and CEO, Bryan Maggi. Everyone there was extremely helpful and I'm sure they will make things right.

They manufacture the stabilizers there in the shop, clean operation. Very proud of the made-in-USA operation.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

I have a 2016 35S manufactured in March of '16. Don't know if I have the new front end unless your talking about the new front fiberglass cap which came out on the '17's.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

The new front end is the front axle geometry. If you jacked up your coach with the front wheels off the ground and counted number of steering wheel turns from left to right you might get (for example, not real) 2.5 turns. With the new geometry you might get 2.9 turns (again, just an example). The problem is that the tie rod travels a longer distance from left to right. The 41 series have a mechanical hard stop that will not let the tie rod reach full travel.

The only problem (as STP explained to me) is that your coach turning radius may be greater since the steering wheel can't turn all the way. My understanding is that this occurred about midway through the 2016 model year or just after. Ther may be an F53 forum somewhere with better detail and explanation.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #6

Inflating tires to 100 psi made a huge difference in driving ease. I also installed steering stabilizers - not much difference. I did feel a big difference when I installed the rear stabilizer that bolts from Rear gesr housing with a plate over to the frame of the coach.
Jeff k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

We ste just finished the install at STP glad we detoured over to Atlanta area to the headquarters. Royal treatment. You can overnite in the lot but we found campground 10 min away. So glad we came here because with it being a 2017 we needed a teal model
Also they said a lot of people have gotten old units from online sources that were old and some were rusty If its in a white box it's pre 2009 and out of warranty. No deal there
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

We just finished the install at STP glad we detoured over to Atlanta area to the headquarters. Royal treatment. You can overnite in the lot but we found campground 10 min away. So glad we came here because with it being a 2017 we needed a teal model
Also they said a lot of people have gotten old units from online sources that were old and some were rusty If its in a white box it's pre 2009 and out of warranty. No deal there
Next add on rear stabilizer bar as we tow a car and dont want the wag from it to make steering hard
Old 03-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #9

Nick good review. I also had mine installed there. I have 2016 UL. I needed the lager stabilizer . My steering must be one of the new ones.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #10

I called STP and asked about the 41-230 vrs the 51-230 and the tech said the 51-230's were for the 2017 chassis and the 41-230 was correct for my 2016. So Saturday I'll get installed! (Myself).
Old 04-01-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

i was worried because i just put the 41-230 on my 2016 35s thanks for putting my mind at ease
charles47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #12

Further review update

Arrived in Pigeon Forge, TN without a lot of propane left in the tank and because temps are expected to be in the 30's for a couple of nights we drove out of the campground to get fueled up.

As I mentioned in the initial review, driving without the Wrangler attached is almost like driving a car, very little steering input required. We drove about 8 miles round trip and the handling was dramatically different without the Wrangler. I don't totally understand the physics involved here with only adding towing weight, not load weight but I can certainly feel the difference.

My recommendation still stands, I would definitely install a steering stabilizer.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #13

Next dry day I'll be putting mine on!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #14

We were very happy and noticed an immediate improvement.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #15

Just finished installing one on my Alante today. Makes a big difference, but it was a bear of an install. Didn't have access to a lift, so doing it on the ground. Very little room below the tie rod due to the shorter tires. Basically could only get my impact wrench into one spot, the rest was muscled in by hand.

Worth it in the end... but damn
enjo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #16

Use your jacks

The STD guys who installed mine used the front jacks to raise the front enough to work comfortably.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
The STD guys who installed mine used the front jacks to raise the front enough to work comfortably.
I did! Even with them fully deployed I couldn't get my impact driver underneath. The Alante is clearance challenged. Or I need to get a smaller driver
enjo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 PM   #18

I sure am glad that I came to this thread tonight because I was about ready to run my 2017 Alante 26x off a cliff. It is an absolute nightmare to drive on a clam day let alone in the wind. Tomorrow I will look into seeing what can be done about the road wander. Thanks
Deerlope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:06 PM   #19

after you have the safe-t-plus make sure you also do the quick fix which is just moving the bolts on the front stabblizer you can go on youtube it shows how to do it.
charles47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #20

Also we are looking into trac bars too. Still too much sway for us