Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Angry Serious defects

A week after taking delivery of my 2016 Jayco Precept 35s I have found the following:

NONE of the wires into and out of the Automatic Transfer Switch were tight, the wires would easily pull out of their connection. The generator would not provide any power to the coach. After checking everything imaginable I found under the bed the ATS and two of the wires had begun to MELT. Could have burned the entire coach to the ground. Tightened ALL the wire lugs and now the gen and ATS work as designed. Shame on Jayco and Albany RV for allowing such a serious problem to be delivered to a customer!!!

There are many outside storage compartment but I could not get a key into any of them. Broke one key, took several locks to a very reputable locksmith who said the lock cylinders were corroded beyond repair and they would have to be replaced. Hmmmmm, obviously nobody ever thought to check their function.

Many other delivery issues but will not bore you now with them..

Brian
Btandros47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #2

That is to bad Jayco let a unit go out like that. Bad wiring and corroded locks really, come on. That is stuff however Albany RV should have found before the unit was delivered. I purchased my Eagle from Albany RV, they are great sales people and promise the world. But there service department is to small for there operation and they cant keep up with all of it. They had to send a private company out to repair my camper a few times. Next time I buy our next camper it will be from a smaller dealer, you get better service from them. I liked that Jayco was private family owned but maybe Thor buying them might make there quality control be better. I know they mass produce these units. But that's where maybe they should slow down and put a little more time into assuring everything is done right.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
2023 JAYCO EAGLE 312BHOK
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Did they reimburse you for the cost of the locksmith at least? It hurts a little less when you don't have to pay for QA failures.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btandros47 View Post
Hmmmmm, obviously nobody ever thought to check their function.

Many other delivery issues but will not bore you now with them..

Brian
So you didn't check them yourself during the PDI?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
WDW

We had the same problems on our Greyhawk. We also had sloppy incomplete wiring underneath the rig. We hated the electrical gear under the bed too. We ditched it for a Coachmen Mirada. I'll reserve comment on Buffalo RV service - sister to Albany RV. Let's just say we did not buy a Precept and reading all the QC issues were glad we didn't. Sorry.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

Albany RV is only interested in selling, like most dealers. There pre delivery inspection is non existent. Once it leaves the lot they could care less.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

I won't reserve comment on Buffalo RV (part of RV One, same as Albany RV) Their service department absolutely positively SUCKS!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #8

Serious defects

Sorry to hear of your issues. As far as Albany RV, we bought our current camper from them and they were great. Their PDI was very thorough and much more complete than what I got from another dealer I bought my first camper at.

Albany RV had the camper hooked to power and water. Went over everything and didn't rush us. One of the service guys even brought over his tool cart so I could install my wdh. I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #9

Two weeks ago on our second trip out in our new Jayco 2016 Precept 31UL, I hooked up and flipped the switch to slide out the dining table. Sparks went flying from between the floor and the slide out. Thankfully the slide out still worked but the two electrical outlets on each side of the dining table did not.

Took the RV in to Camping World. They said that the electrical wires to the outlets got caught in the slider track. They rewired and made sure the electrical lines were securely fastened away from the bottom of the slide out. Told us they had seen this issue several times but were not clear if that meant in all sorts of RV types or just the Precept.

Getting ready to take rig out on another trip and tested the outlets - they don't work. Still have to check if fuse is blown. Can't believe they replaced the wires and didn't test the outlets.
NancyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:59 PM   #10

NancyA,

Sorry for your slide issue. I would imagine that was quite
Scary on initial voyage. The only slide problem we have had is
With the schwintek rear bed slide. Twice in 12 months I have had
Issues. 1st time was able to reset motor under bed to being in.
2nd time had to get mobile service to manually push it in.
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM   #11

Actually no. Should I have ? Do you check every nut and bolt when you buy a new car??
Btandros47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #12

Nancy,
For the 120v outlets the problem might be a tripped circuit breaker, not a fuse. I hope you have it working. We have had a similar problem where the 120v line under the dinette slide got caught on the slider track breaking one of the wires.
SherpaTravels is offline   Reply With Quote