Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

Steering Stabilizer for Precept 31UL

We have a '16 Precept 31UL and are considering adding a steering stabilizer to help the ride while passing big rigs/crosswinds/rut following/etc. - anyone out there with a good recommendation for which brand and/or type of steering stabilizer might be best?
nolosrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

I am researching the same issue for my 2016 Alante 26AY plus a sway bar upgrade as well. I am leaning towards Roadmaster based on my previous experience with their equipment and technicians. Another factor for me is living about 25 miles from their factory/headquarters. I'm sure Blue Ox and others also make good stuff as well. Good luck with your improvements. I am looking forward to improved handling. My second and last trip out with this RV was pretty nasty with lots of crosswind and passing semis. I need a little less white knuckle!
brushbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback and if I was that close to Roadmaster I'd do the same. I don't have any experience with either them or Blue Ox but have seen plenty of ads for both brands, just not sure which way to go. Thanks again.
Anyone else out there have any experience with these, or other brands/types of steering stabilizers?
Old 05-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

I purchased the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. It was a little expensive and you have to buy the install kit for your vehicle separately but it is by far the best purchase I have made. It is easy to install. I was able to do it without any power tools and had enough room to install it with the jacks down. It took about four tries to get in perfectly aligned but what a difference it makes. You can drive down the road and take your hands off the wheel and it still tracks straight. They have videos showing how to install it and how to adjust it. For a little extra get the best. Other precept owners have recommended this brand in previous post. That is how I learned about it and I am glad I took their advice. Happy camping.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #5

Thank you for info on Safe T Plus model. I've read others that also like the Safe T Plus, but they too said it was a bit expensive. I have no problem spending a little more if I know it's a better product and minimizes the 'wander' issues. Great feedback!

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM   #6

I have the Roadmaster installed on our 2015 31UL, works great, but I would
recommend a rear track bar first. The track bar really made a difference in not being pushed by semi's passing or in high winds. The steering stabilizer is supposed to help if you experience a front tire blow out, as well as road tracking, not so much with sway.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

Thanks for the great info on rear sway bar and stabilizer! I'll look into both.
Happy travels!
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #8

We too added the safe t plus, I much preferred a stabilizer that the spring is enclosed, not open to road debris. Just me....

Travelman,
Which rear trac bar? I'm interested in that too.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #9

We had the lastest and greatest 😃 Blue Ox (according to the dealer) installed In April. I have driven around 150 miles on both rural two lanes and interstates and am very pleased. I traveled at between 65 & 70 and had zero problems. Also did the hands off test, it stayed straight. It was around a grand plus labor. I would recommend it but I need to put some miles on it first plus I am a newbie so this actually my first rodeo.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

SteveL

I had the Blue Ox rear track bar installed. Very pleased with it. Greatly reduces the tail wagging the dog effect.

Travelman
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #11

Thanks to all of you for the great feedback, recommendations and experiences with steering stabilizers! I'm ordering the Saf-T-Plus stabilizer and will see how it does then consider adding the rear track bar. Can't wait to feel the difference on our next trip.

Thanks!
2016 Precept 31UL
Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #12

We have a 16 29 UR, same Base as the 31 UL and we added day one a Safe T Plus , took off for Florida from Vermont and 4,153 miles later we were very impressed with the solid feel and control. Have it installed by a certified tech. it is worth the added cost
Precepter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #13

Sumo Springs?

Below is a YouTube video from a couple that does full time living.
They recently installed Sumo Springs on their class a and found
The upgrade to be terrific. Also, they mentioned an article
In Motorhome Magazine too.

Mike

https://youtu.be/vHYdvDmAt5w

below is some comments from IVR2 forum:

Sumos will really help with the side to side & up and down rocking, like when you leave a gas station. They'll really help. Also, you might first search the forum for the CHF (cheap handling fix) and try that. It's just a sway bar adjustment. Sumos on all 4 wheels will run around $1300, the CHF is free.

You might also research shocks. I have Bilsteins on my MH, but have read about how goodKonis are. Some people say the Konis made a big improvement in the ride. If I ever see them on sale I just might change to Konis.

I've come to the conclusion that with the Safe-T-Plus and the Sumos the ride & handling of my F53 is about as good as it can get. Those upgrades changed it from acceptable to pretty good. It's a joy to drive & with the 5 Star Tune, the V-10 is pretty tame in hilly country

Sumos will really help with the side to side & up and down rocking, like when you leave a gas station. They'll really help.
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:17 PM   #14

additional Sumo Springs comments

a few other comments on the Sumo Springs mod:

I just installed the solos on the front only and it made a lot of front end noise go away. We had around 50 mph side wind coming back from NE Oklahoma and it handled really good but I didn't so had to stop near Durant OK.

After a trip to Yellowstone last year we put Solo's on all four corners of our mh. We just got back from 2500 mile trip to Utah to do the National Parks. Every day we drove it was windy. The Sumo's made a huge difference in the handling. Truck's don't blow the mh around like they used too. Dips and bumps are not near as bad. They even seem to dampen some of the road noise. For me they were well worth the money spent and the time to install. Did the install myself and it was really no big deal. The Sumo's and the 5Star tune have made a world of difference in our mh. We can't afford a pricey dp with air ride so to me this was the way to go.